BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had ABO for about 10 years now, and despite lavishing her with attention and unmentionable amounts of cash, you can't fight ageing forever, and at 160,000 miles, I feel it's time to retire her, and enjoy her for just 'occasional' use.

I'm a life long M5 obsessive, and simply don't want any other car than an M5. I do however NOT want the nasty top-endy V10 thing that BMW decided to replace my car with, hence keeping ABO so long. It's gotta be V8, and it's gotta have LOADS of low down torque.

Thankfully BMW saw the error of their ways and went back to form with the F10 :)

I can buy new on business finance, or possibly this new 50/50 deal I've read about, or I'm happy to buy a good used one too if it's the right car. Whilst I'd love the choices I'd get buying new, I do like a bit of fettling on my cars, and things like the exhaust and limiter would need immediate modification. (I'll never get over how good my Tubi Rumore sounds, and whilst it's not every day, being able to pop to Germany and explore the Autobahn's lack of limits is something everyone needs to do before they die. (hopefully not at the same time though :hihi:)

So my question is:

Thoughts on the best way to buy please, and if I buy new, is it possible to bugger about with the software, and change one or two things without affecting the warranty?

Cheers all,
Barney.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Morning,

I can answer a few of these questions as I've done exactly the same thing.

There are no deals in the M5 currently. Firstly, don't even bother with the London dealers as they are a waste of time, unless you know someone/salesperson that can cut you a deal? Avoid Park Lane and Stephen James group like the plague. The parts lads at SJ Ruxley are awesome, the sales and service staff are something opposite.

I ended up ordering up my new car from Sytner Nottingham, from a most helpful chap called David Park. You need to finance the car regardless if you want a deal on it. I wanted an outright buy, but they are not interested.

The business finance deals when I went in September were all on the M6 and othe M cars, not on the M5. There was when I went a dealer contribution and around 7k BMW contribution if you take their finance package of some sort.

I did a 50% and the rest on HP which allows me pay the car off rather rapidly with no penalties. I ended up knocking off around just under 16k off. Not bad. I thought.

Also, sell the E39, my heart wanted to keep it but it makes no sense what so ever. Sold mine mine 3 weeks ago now. Can't say I miss it a bit. Now all I need now is my new car to arrive!!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's a hard decision ! But I also have just done exactly the same thing. Had the E39 for ten years because I just couldn't find anything I preferred; I didn't like the E60 although in my case it was the styling I didn't like - though I also think there's something unnatural about a V10. God meant cylinders to come in multiples of four :)

I've had my F10 for a month now - this Thursday is first-service day and I'll be able to give in to temptation, finally. Mine came from Vines in Guildford, who looked after me really well and were accomodating on price (well, we reached an agreement we both seemed happy with !). I went for brilliant white metallic with a black interior, which I'm over the moon with. It's a custom colour, which cost £ and meant a longer wait, but looks just gorgeous. Back in May this year Vines introduced me to a scheme BMW have which lets you borrow an M5 for a few days for about £250, which they then deducted off the purchase price. This was Really worth doing, because it's a complex, expensive car, and a short test-drive just isn't enough.

Kind of agree about selling the E39 - you won't drive it much if you keep it, although I had an easy 'out' because my brother-in-law bought mine. The car had looked after me for ten years and I wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate and look after it in turn. So far he's delighted and has this silly grin on his face when he talks about it.

I am, so far, delighted with the F10 - and that's without being able to really push it yet. It's a VERY different car from the E39, but feels rock solid and very fast, and I think BMW have got the technology about right. The DriveLogic works well, the DCT is amazing. I went for the competition pack, and I am ashamed to admit that I did this largely because my wife insisted she liked the wheels that came with it. Expensive wheels, right ? Although I do think the exhaust and slight tweaks you also get with the CP are probably A Good Thing, and I also love Comfort Access, and the Anti-Dazzle headlight feature which is nothing short of creepy when you watch it work.

If you try driving one, realise that out-of-the-box it is Very Soft : I spent the first hour of my test-drive being disappointed, before realising that on the F10 you have to dial up the M1 or M2 settings before it feels as punchy as the E39 does All The Time. This is obvious in retrospect - the E39 wasn't really configurable, so had to be tight all the time, whereas the F10 is a 'soft' car so can wake up gentle, good for fuel economy and ride comfort, but switch to particle-accelerator mode when you ask. As proof of this, my wife never really liked driving the E39, because it only really felt good when you picked it up by the scruff of the neck and drove it hard... but this morning she drove the F10 for the first time and within ten minutes was pronouncing that she loved it. Makes two of us.

Enjoy the search, and the wait, and the handover. Take pictures. Big occasion.

Richard

·
Registered
152 Posts
All I can say is search and do your homework and see what deals BMW are offering this quarter. I haven't looked since I ordered mine to be honest.

The main reason I went for my own order is that not one car out there ticked all my boxes of what I wanted and believe me, I searched for 8 months and then gave up. The main reason nothing hit the spot is that my E39 was so high spec, it was going to be a downgrade if I got a lesser spec if you know what I mean?

www.LullingstoneCars.co.uk my old car

I got Azurite black individual paint, surround view, power boot lid, speed limit display, 20 inch wheels, lumber support, heated rear seats, LED headlamps, side and rear blinds as I hate sun protection glass and some other bits but can't remember. Didn't bother with the CP as it doesn't interest me.

I have my email now saying my car is build and awaiting shipping.

Watch this space :)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'll get Googling. Any ideas on the mods & warranty etc? Presumably the security is much tighter on a 2014 ECU (DME) than it was on a 2000 car?!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Whatever happens make sure that ABO does not catch sight of this thread !

:)

Oh yeah the F10 M5 is awesome, so I hear ! Growing on me too :(

Reactions: 100%Cocoa

·
Registered
152 Posts
No idea about mods and where you stand with it warranty wise. Wasn't planning on doing any mods.

Good hunting, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I'm sure that a F10 M5 will be a great replacement for ABO, but I'm sad to see that time is catching on and leaving the great E39 M5 as something to treasure/store/sell/dump, as age makes it expensive to maintain for the toys/performance it offers when compared to modern options.

These coming 2 years will see a lot of the old school of E39 M5 move on to the F10.

Reactions: 100%Cocoa

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll get Googling. Any ideas on the mods & warranty etc? Presumably the security is much tighter on a 2014 ECU (DME) than it was on a 2000 car?!
Good luck in your quest & look forward to you joining the F10 M5 fold soon.

The cars are epic in every way & i have truly fallen in love with mine.

As regards modifications, you have 2 options for tuning with those being piggy back tune/tuning box (the same thing) or an ECU remap. I chose the latter as wanted a bespoke tune customised for my car (on a RR) & not an off the shelf product. In the main the piggy back option is significantly cheaper & to be fair they appear good products & of course when the car has to visit a dealer for any reason you just remove the box.

If you're interested in the bespoke tune then drop me a line as i've organised a Group Buy with DMS with a saving of £750+VAT from their list price & i'd of course fully recommend them. Also to answer you're question, YES the security is a lot tougher on the F10 M5 for tuners to access the code & this also differs from MY as the MY14 got tougher encryption & the MY15 tougher again which is why it took so long to crack. Another advantage of the custom tune is that you GET top speed limit removal which i believe the piggy back systems can't offer.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Keeping your E39 is a good idea. I've been running my F10 as my daily driver for just over a year now and totally love it but every time I get back into my E39 I'm reminded what a great car it is.

The F10 is in a different league performance wise and is a much more complete car but in truth it's very hard to unleash it's full potential on the road. The E39 can be driven much harder and there is something nice about driving a manual with a clutch pedal. I'm glad I kept mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am doing the same soon, selling my M5 E39 in mint condition and buying a M5 F10, i hope i won't regret it :grinyes:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got mine last Friday. Beats the E39 hands down in every way in my personal opinion. The cars only done 350 miles so far, but WOW what a car. Only down side so far is that it's rained every time I've used it from the moment I picked up from Sytner Notts. all the way to London Friday and over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The F10 is a better car, no argument with that at all. I just miss driving a proper manual from time to time and occasionally find it frustrating to be unable to exploit the F10's extra performance on the road. I wouldn't replace my F10 with an E39 but im very glad I've still got my one parked in my garage.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had thought about keeping my E39, but decided against it. It was doing about 1000 miles a year in the past 3-4 years. Shows how little the new car will do. So the E39 would do even less now I guess. So made sense to sell it on to someone that will use it. It just seemed to break with lack of use the few times I used it.

To be fair, you can't even exploit a 200bhp car now a days let alone 500+bhp car on our roads. As for driving a manual, everything aches on me so less work the better is good in my book :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had ABO for about 10 years now, and despite lavishing her with attention and unmentionable amounts of cash, you can't fight ageing forever, and at 160,000 miles, I feel it's time to retire her, and enjoy her for just 'occasional' use.

I'm a life long M5 obsessive, and simply don't want any other car than an M5. I do however NOT want the nasty top-endy V10 thing that BMW decided to replace my car with, hence keeping ABO so long. It's gotta be V8, and it's gotta have LOADS of low down torque.

Thankfully BMW saw the error of their ways and went back to form with the F10 :)

I can buy new on business finance, or possibly this new 50/50 deal I've read about, or I'm happy to buy a good used one too if it's the right car. Whilst I'd love the choices I'd get buying new, I do like a bit of fettling on my cars, and things like the exhaust and limiter would need immediate modification. (I'll never get over how good my Tubi Rumore sounds, and whilst it's not every day, being able to pop to Germany and explore the Autobahn's lack of limits is something everyone needs to do before they die. (hopefully not at the same time though :hihi:)

So my question is:

Thoughts on the best way to buy please, and if I buy new, is it possible to bugger about with the software, and change one or two things without affecting the warranty?

Cheers all,
Barney.
First of all, you will be shocked nicely with the Power difference.
As far as software updates and more Power, Dinan is the only Tuner that matches BMW full factory warrenty.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
First of all, you will be shocked nicely with the Power difference.
As far as software updates and more Power, Dinan is the only Tuner that matches BMW full factory warrenty.
Good Luck.
Not again:). Dinan don't match the BMW warranty for the piggy back tune, they provide a secondary warranty should BMW kick a claim out based on a failure caused by the tune. This is the same as any reputable tuner would provide so it's not just Dinan.

Assuming you're in the US, in which case BMS offer a similar product to Dinans tune & i'm sure their are others. Outside of the US you have the option of a full custom tune bespoke for each car. I chose DMS & it appears their new code which i'll be getting applied to my car in the New Year has raised the bar further as they're claiming a power output of 740bhp so can't wait to get that baby applied.

·
Registered
408 Posts
V10 was the best m engine in history, you're crazy

I went from e60 to f10 and hated it

I do like your e39 however :)

Reactions: khyber and MKSixer
1 - 20 of 28 Posts