BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, seems we could use one discussion area for all diff mod options for our cars. Let's make it here:
-If you have a modded diff, give the details and your likes/dislikes and cost parts (and labor separately if you paid it out)
-If you know of cheap diff upgrade options post here as well.

Annnnnd GO!

·
Registered
155 Posts
A- did the M5 diff swap into my 540/6 a few years back with the M5 drive line and flanges while replacing the seals and w/Bilsteins, both Eibach bars and fresh bushings/arms it was a "budget M5". Completely transformed the car.

B- have done multiple muscle cars and it's the easiest way to change the performance and intended use of a vehicle.

C- have a NIB Dinan R&P in the garage that I'll most certainly install in one of M5's when I install new seals and do the bushings, might as well have someone rebuild it for more (~40%) lockup too. I think the stock are 25% ?

Look forward to this thread - thanks!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Have had an OS Giken 3.45 for about 5-6 years now, love it. Paid ~4300 in 2013, have used it on track at least 30 times, as well as numerous canyon / mountain runs in the Bay Are and beyond. Cost has gone up a bunch over the years though, looking at close to 6K now, before shipping. The 3.45 ring gear is about 800-1100 now alone.

The only true downside is the it uses OS Giken unicorn blood for fluid, 80w250. ~60/L, need two.

·
Registered
29 Posts
DINAN DIff 3.46 LSD... cost = too much but PO was a rich lunatic as he bought the S2 M5 at sticker for 124k$ when new and put another easy 10k
Into it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The price for a LSD should NEVER be over $2000 including Ring and pinion. This is more egregious than the Porsche taxes I e paid for similar products. Wow. At $6k I could literally have an 8.8 diff in the car with 1khp axles. I’m at 850whp so I can tell you my axles are going to break if my DS or diff doesn’t first. It won’t be the clutch or transmission I know that

·
Registered
29 Posts
The price for a LSD should NEVER be over $2000 including Ring and pinion. This is more egregious than the Porsche taxes I e paid for similar products. Wow. At $6k I could literally have an 8.8 diff in the car with 1khp axles. I’m at 850whp so I can tell you my axles are going to break if my DS or diff doesn’t first. It won’t be the clutch or transmission I know that
Def not the tranny... what clutch u got?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mantic twin disc. It will be fine too. I wonder how much power the driveshaft will take and what the weakest spot on it is. I figure it’s the solid part that meets up with the diff. If not that, the axles are gonna break.

·
Registered
135 Posts
3.62 ring and pinion in mine.

£150GBP for good gearset second hand
£200GBP fitting (friend was a tech)

No regrets, I love it. Makes it an altogether more awesome machine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts