BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for a while, but haven't found much. I have this sneaking suspicion that some crusty grey beard is going to tell me to use the search button. Sorry, I tried and failed.

I just got a 2001 M5 a couple months ago and plan to get the Evolve Alpha-N tune soon. I am getting 60k service next month and understand I need plugs and coils at 60k service. While I am getting plugs and coils anyway, I am thinking of upgrading in hopes of power gains.

Do upgrade plugs and wires add noticeable and/or measureable power/performance gains? If so, which brand is best? This is a daily driver. The other mod I want is a CAI, hopefully also this year. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Just go with the NGK. I can't see anyway you would notice performance gains on a stock car with different plugs.

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
No wires on an M5, coils sit on the plug. New boots are good but you should check out prices on coils before you decide to upgrade. There are a few choices that could be considered an upgrade. Performance gain not likely M5 coils are pretty good. Reliability upgrade is more likely result. Same with plugs the plug you would choose for performance would be less reliable for a DD.
Decide what you really want and ask the right question. To claim you have searched... search skills must be poor.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=6375761
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=6375769

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
"Upgrade" plugs and coils? Thats a joke...

And who is telling you your "60k service" includes a coil replacement?

Finally a "CAI" upgrade? Not many that work, and best case you get 6-10HP

No need to search- always more fun to just ask.

:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
YES UPGRADE!!! CAI + NGX flux erodium nitrate plugs and teflon silicone filled sodium coils are the way to go! easily 12-37rwhp when the new M sticker is replaced on the trunk lid. Oh and use the search button my beard is crusty and black haired.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
YES UPGRADE!!! CAI + NGX flux erodium nitrate plugs and teflon silicone filled sodium coils are the way to go! easily 12-37rwhp when the new M sticker is replaced on the trunk lid. Oh and use the search button my beard is crusty and black haired.

WHAT??? 12WHP would be a stretch IMO...but 37!! holy cow man. Did NASA design your spark plugs? :haha:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
WHAT??? 12WHP would be a stretch IMO...but 37!! holy cow man. Did NASA design your spark plugs? :haha:
No, they designed the sticker. He obviously stated that the high end of that range is only gained when combined with the new sticker. That's where the power is.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Google OKD coils, one of the only upgrade coils for the 5, bear in mind the price you see is only for the coils not the pencil sections, they're another couple of hundred quid at the last check. So look at the final price and wonder whether it's worth it. Would suggest that a standard car wouldn't benefit much, I'm just going to do new standard coils and pencils, but mine has just over 110k on it.

Boosted S62's might benefit, but SC might not see the total boost needed to start blowing spark out. Better places to spend your money, if those are the only mods so far.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sailor24, not disagreeing with you on my search skills. I do poke around quite a bit, but have trouble finding answers to specific questions sometimes. This is what I get when I click on your links:

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Thanks all. I asked Evolve because I plan to get their tune soon and their tech said BMW stock plugs and coils are what they use on their supercharged machine and they are always sufficient.

So agreed, money is better spent other places. As for the CAI, I want for the sound more than the power increase, although I will take every ft.-lb. of torque I can get. My aftermarket muffler is pretty tame. It sounds good IMO and is slightly louder than stock, but I want a little more roar. Not sure if the M5 will have the same result, but when I put a short ram CAI on my 4 cyl. 1998 Accord, I got scared looks from people I was passing with no other engine/exhaust mods.

As for the coils at 60k, I misspoke. I was trying to write down quickly what the service tech was telling me but couldn't get it all. I assumed coils would change at the same time as plugs. I may just do the plugs myself, not sure yet.

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
So search "searching" we have a couple how to for that. Read the stickys at the top of the page. In the FAQ there is info you asked for. If you ask a smart question you will get smart answers. The two things I searched were iridium plugs and platinum plugs. The problem here was not the fact you could not search properly, it was the smart @$$ remark. You will find the force is not strong with the search police here... but smart @$$ answers are plentiful.

·
13,589 Posts
"upgraded" coils wont do much if anything besides lighten your wallet. The missing weight will make your car faster...stick with the OEM stuff unless you go supercharged, in which case all you'd need are iridium plugs. As for coil packs, dont replace them until they go...you wont see any material gain by slapping in fresh ones unless the ones in there are already toast (doubtful at 60k). NGK laser platinum in the correct size are equivalent to OEM, and work fantastically.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
E55AMG2, going off topic a bit since you and everyone else were so helpful in making up my mind. So have you owned both an M5 and a 2003 or newer E55? I would love to hear your comparison if you did indeed own them both. The 2003 E55 (is it W203?) used to be one of my dream cars, on paper at least. I drove an E500 and it felt like a boat. I love my 2001 M5, but it does feel a bit heavy. I was also looking at a WRX STI and a C32 or C55 AMG.

·
13,589 Posts
E55AMG2, going off topic a bit since you and everyone else were so helpful in making up my mind. So have you owned both an M5 and a 2003 or newer E55? I would love to hear your comparison if you did indeed own them both. The 2003 E55 (is it W203?) used to be one of my dream cars, on paper at least. I drove an E500 and it felt like a boat. I love my 2001 M5, but it does feel a bit heavy. I was also looking at a WRX STI and a C32 or C55 AMG.
I had a W210 E55...(00-03, pre supercharger). The E55 is a bit softer in it's suspension calibration...but that's also because it's significantly lighter (and stiffer in chassis) than the E39 M5. In terms of handling, it suffers from the same push the M5 does at the limit. Acceleration feels totally different...it has much more low end tq. The top end is nowhere near as good as the S62's, but the immense torque is what kept it close in a drag race with the E39 M5. The M5 is a lot more tactile in terms of steering and braking...and the manual trans just makes the car feel more cohesive.

The E500 (W211) is a boat, mercedes really blew it on that chassis. The newer cars, the E63 AMGs are much better in terms of handling than the supercharged sleds that AMG used to make.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
As for the CAI, I want for the sound more than the power increase, although I will take every ft.-lb. of torque I can get. My aftermarket muffler is pretty tame. It sounds good IMO and is slightly louder than stock, but I want a little more roar. Not sure if the M5 will have the same result, but when I put a short ram CAI on my 4 cyl. 1998 Accord, I got scared looks from people I was passing with no other engine/exhaust mods.

Good. Glad you are aware it is not a power mod...and in fact, many of not all of the purported "CAI"s being sold will paradoxically ROB POWER due to their propensity to suck hot air from the engine bay when they are not moving.....

Now, you want 'scared looks'.... hmmm. I'm outa here.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
. . . No need to search- always more fun to just ask.

:)
abboushi said:
. . . easily 12-37rwhp when the new M sticker is replaced on the trunk lid. Oh and use the search button my beard is crusty and black haired.
bdsmitty said:
. . . Did NASA design your spark plugs? :haha:
Strike said:
No, they designed the sticker. He obviously stated that the high end of that range is only gained when combined with the new sticker. That's where the power is.
Sailor24 said:
So search "searching"
So, thank you all for this. I got much laughs, after a HELL of a day, and believe me, they were much needed. :M5thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts