BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my cd/radio, year 2000, to MKIV DVD NAV, 16:9 screen.

Everything was going fine with the instalation at the dealer until the NAV disc (V25) couldn't be inserted in the MKIV computer to download the program. I had not installed the program until then.

They told me that it was probably a mechanical issue with the MKIV computer CD dish, and that I should take it to an electronic shop.

Do you know what could have caused this?

The red light at the MKIV unit is on and it pulls half the disc (making some noise). A few days ago, when I was already with the MKIV connected to the car, but still din't have the V25 firmware, the battery went dead sunddenly. Is it possible that the MKIV unit is fried?

Thank you for any explanation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles, M5Brazil.

It's a tough one to answer without knowing more, but the fact that the battery went dead midway through the reboot is a little worrying. I personally upgraded mine (both screen and DVD unit) and I remember the most crucial of instructions - do not disconnect battery until the CD (or DVD) unit stops flashing (and making the 'scribble' noises). This usually takes a good 2 minutes. Instructions stated that should the battery be disconnected prior to the official shut off of the MKxx unit, it may result in damage of the unit.

The fact that you are seeing some power (power light on, CD mechisnm partially working) is somewhat encouraging though. Did you try popping in a different CD, perhaps with the newest available Version 29 software? Perhaps the CD itself is bent/corrupt. Looks like you may need to bring it to an audio/video pro shop for a more thorough look.


M5Brazil said:
I upgraded my cd/radio, year 2000, to MKIV DVD NAV, 16:9 screen.

Everything was going fine with the instalation at the dealer until the NAV disc (V25) couldn't be inserted in the MKIV computer to download the program. I had not installed the program until then.

They told me that it was probably a mechanical issue with the MKIV computer CD dish, and that I should take it to an electronic shop.

Do you know what could have caused this?

The red light at the MKIV unit is on and it pulls half the disc (making some noise). A few days ago, when I was already with the MKIV connected to the car, but still din't have the V25 firmware, the battery went dead sunddenly. Is it possible that the MKIV unit is fried?

Thank you for any explanation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I'll take it to a shop first thing in the morning.

What I found odd about the CD is that it had "V25" written on it, but it mentioned only Mk2 and Mk3 versions(wrote in front of the CD itself also) .....
Would the dealer mess up like this???????

The MKIV unit have its red light on and makes some noise by pulling half the cd inside. Well keep you posted an pray!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
M5Brazil said:
Yes I'll take it to a shop first thing in the morning.

What I found odd about the CD is that it had "V25" written on it, but it mentioned only Mk2 and Mk3 versions(wrote in front of the CD itself also) .....
Would the dealer mess up like this???????

The MKIV unit have its red light on and makes some noise by pulling half the cd inside. Well keep you posted an pray!
Yup, it does make sense for V25 to be compatible with MKII and III, however version 26 is good only for the MKIV.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
cosioboy said:
Yup, it does make sense for V25 to be compatible with MKII and III, however version 26 is good only for the MKIV.
I don't believe that this is the case. BMW issue a single disk which contains software for all the different (Mk I, Mk II, Mk III and Mk IV) satnav systems. The latest (V26) disk contains V1-1/80 (for Mk I), V2-1/81 (for Mk II), V3-1/63 (for Mk III) and V4-1/60 (for Mk IV). Of these, only the software for the Mk IV has been changed since the last (V25) disk, but there should be no reason why you cannot install the software from a V26 disk onto a Mk III (or Mk II or Mk I).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it turned out to be only a mechanical problem with the disc compartment. I was able to download the V25 firmware.

Thank you for your comments!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
M5Brazil said:
Well it turned out to be only a mechanical problem with the disc compartment. I was able to download the V25 firmware.

Thank you for your comments!
Glad to hear you resolved your issue. Enjoy your new setup, as you have probably already found out, the difference is night and day! :cool:
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top