BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
What Benz did those come off of?

And it's hard to tell from the one pic of the BMW & Benz rotors, but it looks like the Benz rotors are a bit bigger. How much bigger are they?

·
Registered
108 Posts
hmmm...are those SLR brakes? i've seen those on an E36 application. simply awesome.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I like that.. alot.:applause:

Good job.
:cheers:
So when are you going to add these to the 'Fazline' range of tasteful upgrades?

If you can do them at less than £1k, I'll have a set.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Why? They looks very well made. Most aftermaket caliper brackets are ten times too strong. Have you seen Audi RS6 original brackets?
Jan
Most aftermarkt brackets are 10 times too HEAVY, not too strong. I'm on a Mac here, so clueless as to how to draw in a picture, so I'll try to say it.

A bracket is as strong as the weakest link, in this case being the round machining where the bolts from the hub go in. The round bit shouldn't be round with 90deg angle to the plane of the bracket, but sloped so the entire length of the round mounting can transmit force. Now only the "bar" transmits force, the round bit acts as a big washer. Of the thread in the bracket only half is actualy doing something.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Steve,
Try to imagine the direction of forces and it will be not so scary for you any more. And as I said, when you compare Antons bracket with factory Audi ones, there is not too much diferences between them.
I'm not saying that for 100% they are safe (for that we need to check calculations), but for me it is not look scary. Just sensible made. My 2p.
Jan

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Steve,
Try to imagine the direction of forces and it will be not so scary for you any more. And as I said, when you compare Antons bracket with factory Audi ones, there is not too much diferences between them.
I'm not saying that for 100% they are safe (for that we need to check calculations), but for me it is not look scary. Just sensible made. My 2p.
Jan
Hi Jan,

If there ever comes a time when I start taking Audi as an example of how to make brakes, please take one of those Audi V8-inverted-discs and clobber me over the head with it. I'm sure a few of the lads here will be glad to help.

Thank you for your explanation, I fully understand the forces at play, and still refuse to drive with a bracket containing a built-in breaking point. A bracket manufactured as such wil never get TUV clearance, with good reason!

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
What material are the brackets made of?

·
Registered
292 Posts
If there ever comes a time when I start taking Audi as an example of how to make brakes, please take one of those Audi V8-inverted-discs and clobber me over the head with it. I'm sure a few of the lads here will be glad to help.
This argument is not fair as you shoud know there is no any conection (exept Audi badge) between these two brake systems.
Thank you for your explanation, I fully understand the forces at play, and still refuse to drive with a bracket containing a built-in breaking point. A bracket manufactured as such wil never get TUV clearance, with good reason!
O.K. mate, I understand that you just know better. EOT and good luck then!
Jan

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Hi Jan,
I don't think that will be necessary:)
Unless you insist of course.:hihi:

Valid point on caliper bracket.
The 2x mounting boss mounting caliper to strut require radial draft angle.
It may have a small degree of draft but not enough if not visible.
As bracket appears to be cast ally, incorporating more draft to spread load
rather than concentrate load would have been as easy to do, than do it & not get
best from the design.

The concept of mounting those amazing calipers on cars like ours is still
refreshing though.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have just machined my own caliper brackets for a rear upgrade.I think they will be strong enough,they are meatier than the originals that came with the kit.Will start another thread with pics for opinions

1 - 20 of 20 Posts