BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my car in March '09 with the mk4 nav and I believe the 2006 map disc. I recently updated these with the 2010 discs (now that they split North America into two) and now the nav isn't quite as smooth as before. Mostly it is fine, but when I'm on the freeway, it keeps telling me to bear right or left in a mile or two, when I have a long way to go staying straight on the same interstate. It's almost as if it's telling me to take the long, gradual turns of the highway itself (duh... I'm supposed to turn here?! You don't say...). Has anyone experienced this quirk? I have it set to "With Highways" and "Fastest Route". It also has momentarily gotten lost/confused for a few seconds. Forget what software I'm running... I want to say v26... pretty new but not the absolute latest.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I bought my car in March '09 with the mk4 nav and I believe the 2006 map disc. I recently updated these with the 2010 discs (now that they split North America into two) and now the nav isn't quite as smooth as before. Mostly it is fine, but when I'm on the freeway, it keeps telling me to bear right or left in a mile or two, when I have a long way to go staying straight on the same interstate. It's almost as if it's telling me to take the long, gradual turns of the highway itself (duh... I'm supposed to turn here?! You don't say...). Has anyone experienced this quirk? I have it set to "With Highways" and "Fastest Route". It also has momentarily gotten lost/confused for a few seconds. Forget what software I'm running... I want to say v26... pretty new but not the absolute latest.
v26 is not close to new, latest firmware version is in the low 30's

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
v26 is not close to new, latest firmware version is in the low 30's
Ah true haha. I have been meaning to upgrade, but truthfully I'm a little afraid to mess up somehow, since the current settings are how I want them (correct units, no Accept screen, etc.). Just laziness I guess - I'll add it to my list of things to get done on the car in the next month or two.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I hope you didn't pay full price for the nav discs. 2011 have been out for a little over a month now.

As far as the data - the map data from 2009 and prior comes from Navteq (owned by Nokia now), and the 2010 onward is sourced from TeleAtlas (now owned by TomTom).

I have noticed what you're talking about on my 2010 maps (haven't taken the 2011 plunge yet), but didn't find it overly annoying.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I hope you didn't pay full price for the nav discs. 2011 have been out for a little over a month now.

As far as the data - the map data from 2009 and prior comes from Navteq (owned by Nokia now), and the 2010 onward is sourced from TeleAtlas (now owned by TomTom).

I have noticed what you're talking about on my 2010 maps (haven't taken the 2011 plunge yet), but didn't find it overly annoying.
Im not so thrilled with TomTom's mapmaking....Navteq was better in terms of GPS accuracy when it comes to roads/intersections

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, it's not awful, but it does get pretty annoying when I'm cruising down the freeway listening to music, only to have it interrupted every couple of minutes by Nav Lady. Also doesn't give me a lot of confidence if I'm going somewhere totally unfamiliar.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey Guys,

I've got an 01 with the CD based system - is it possible to upgrade to the DVD based sat-nav? Is it a plug and play? Where would I buy it?

Thanks guys - I'm sick of switching the damn cds all the time! Thanks again.cherrsagai

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess I could. The way to do this is by going into Settings and dropping the volume all the way, right? Wish there was a quicker option.

Ok, found this thread which makes the software upgrade simple (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...ting-mk-iv-nav-software-v31-easy-version.html), but one last question I have before I tackle it - does this mean I will have an "Accept" screen now before I can use it? I know it's just one button press, but between connecting my iPod, seat belt, unfolding the mirrors, sliding the armrest, fiddling with DSC and Sport mode, adjusting temp, etc. I have enough stuff to mess around with before setting off!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry off topic,

where is the latest Nav DVD out there? and where would you recommend getting it from? (i dont want to buy it from the dealer, they charge too much for everything.)

thanks

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Sorry off topic,

where is the latest Nav DVD out there? and where would you recommend getting it from? (i dont want to buy it from the dealer, they charge too much for everything.)

thanks
Be careful asking for illegal copies of Nav discs. You will most likely get a response of, You own a BMW M5, pony up and purchase the real thing. Just sayin'

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Guess I could. The way to do this is by going into Settings and dropping the volume all the way, right? Wish there was a quicker option.
There is. After entering the destination and viewing the map, click the right controller. The 'Instruction' option should be selected on the popup menu, click and hold the right controller until a speaker symbol with a line through appears - Nav instructions will now be muted.

Ok, found this thread which makes the software upgrade simple (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...ting-mk-iv-nav-software-v31-easy-version.html), but one last question I have before I tackle it - does this mean I will have an "Accept" screen now before I can use it? I know it's just one button press, but between connecting my iPod, seat belt, unfolding the mirrors, sliding the armrest, fiddling with DSC and Sport mode, adjusting temp, etc. I have enough stuff to mess around with before setting off!
I'm not sure exactly which version it was (probably V26 or 27, but as it's a US only thing we never had it to start with!), but the latest Mk IV Nav software has an automatic time out on the accept screen. So, if you install the latest version you won't have to manually click the accept screen.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
There is. After entering the destination and viewing the map, click the right controller. The 'Instruction' option should be selected on the popup menu, click and hold the right controller until a speaker symbol with a line through appears - Nav instructions will now be muted.

I'm not sure exactly which version it was (probably V26 or 27, but as it's a US only thing we never had it to start with!), but the latest Mk IV Nav software has an automatic time out on the accept screen. So, if you install the latest version you won't have to manually click the accept screen.

+1 on both

·
Registered
135 Posts
Be careful asking for illegal copies of Nav discs. You will most likely get a response of, You own a BMW M5, pony up and purchase the real thing. Just sayin'
LOL i was not indicating that i want to buy illegal copy, maybe a second hand some owners maybe selling or form e-bay or are there company's out there that have BMW NAV DVD's that i can purchase from. All i'm asking is where is a good spot to get an updated NAV DVD? if dealer is the best option then i can put one on order.

Thanks for looking out. I don't mind spending the money on the car when and where needed, but if i can save a few bucks here and there i will take that offer.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
LOL i was not indicating that i want to buy illegal copy, maybe a second hand some owners maybe selling or form e-bay or are there company's out there that have BMW NAV DVD's that i can purchase from. All i'm asking is where is a good spot to get an updated NAV DVD? if dealer is the best option then i can put one on order.

Thanks for looking out. I don't mind spending the money on the car when and where needed, but if i can save a few bucks here and there i will take that offer.
Not a problem. The best deals are members upgrading theirs. Sometimes you can get a 1-2 year old disc at a great price.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
There is generally little relationship between the map and software, the only one I know of is the requirement for the latest software to read the latest dual layer DVD maps.

Night Mode is a hack to the second colour set of the standard software, using a program called NavTweak.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts