BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering a 2000 M5 and was wondering what the availability and difficulty of replacing the '00 Nav with the '01-'03?

Also, what are the other differences in a '00 vs. '01-'03?

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
I'm seriously considering a 2000 M5 and was wondering what the availability and difficulty of replacing the '00 Nav with the '01-'03?

Also, what are the other differences in a '00 vs. '01-'03?
Nav unit is in the trunk, left side. Not too difficult, if you search you can fiind discussions on switching out the units.

The 4x3 head unit can also be replaced, a little bit if work since it is in the dash. 2 separate pieces. The newer one is 16x9.

As to model year differences, check this out:

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=18

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
851 Posts
Go to bimmernav for availability and instructions on doing the nav upgrade.

I have an 00 and have done all the 'facelift' upgrades. Here is what I have done.

1) Upgrade 00 nav unit with 03 DVD nav unit.
2) Upgrade 4x3 nav screen with 16x9 nav screen.
3) Upgrade 00 headlights to oem hella angeleyes headlights.
4) Upgrade 00 taillights to oem hella celis tailights.
5) Upgrade 00 steering wheel to 05 M3 competition package steering wheel.
6) Upgrade 00 airbag to round airbag to fit new steering wheel.

The only thing I haven't done is retrofit the front PDC option. :)

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
The Nav Unit itself is easy. To move from MK2 to MK4 you simply unplug the existing MK2, re-reroute the antenna cable from the trimble unit, and plug the MK4 back in. Should take about 10 minutes total even for a novice...

As mentioned, the front screen can also be replaced to give you widescreen instead of 4x3. This is a more expensive option, but still pretty easy - maybe 30 minutes...

d-

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just did the conversion using the Bimmernav full upgrade kit, piece of cake for about 2700. The only difficult thing is getting the antennae. It is on the trimble nav unit which is located behind the amp; That is the most lengthy part of the process, but it is easy and the whole thing can be completed in about an hour.

You dont happen to have bruyere trim? I need a 4:3 bezel to complete a set for someone.

Kirk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts