BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An update on No.16...
Following my replacement of the front brake calipers and pads (EBC Yellowstuff), flushed the old fluid out (I have no idea how old it was) and rebuilt the rear calipers, the car stops extremely well and am very happy with my choice of pads.

The car is due an MOT in May and unfortunately work has prevented me from doing anything more, I decided to drop the car off at my local dealership.....sharp intake of breath I hear! Actually I have been going there for years and occasionally they drop the ball but they do know that I check very carefully what they have done and I get good service at a "reasonable" price....

Anyway, I had a few PITA jobs that needed doing plus it needed an oil service.....I provided the oil (I am not saying what brand I used and open that hornets nest except to say that it is 10W50) so strayed outside the manufacturers recommendation a tad.

what I had noticed is that the car had become louder and louder and started to have a stiff gear change. It didn't idle that nicely and seemed a little down on power. I suspected an exhaust blow or manifold leak but could not find anything.

I dropped the car off and pushed off to the USA on busines for 2 weeks.... 3 weeks later..... I got the car back. The problem was the Catalytic converter had split complely in half! I was amazed to see it. It could have been repaired I suppose, but taking account of the age, etc I elected to replace with new. I am keen to keep my car as original as possible. Yes it was expensive and BMW did not have any in stock in Munich! So I had to wait for one to be manufactured.

I have no complaints! It has been worth it. I thought that engine was smoothe before, but it is a completely different animal now. It also has restored power plus I believe hot exhaust gases had been affecting the gear linkage since my stiff change has gone away.

I have had the car almost a year now and simply love it. Just wish I had more time to do work myself as well as drive it more. The grin factor cannot be overstated. :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Great result .

How much are 3.8 Cats nowadays ?

D
Thats food for thought if any of us get a sticky gearstick:M5thumbs:

Just went on to Real OEM and they are $2436.76 = £1498.61grrrrrrrgrrrrrrr

Spoke to my local dealer and they quoted me £1250 + vat exchange and its on back order from Germany CRIKEY! I would prob get a 10% discount off that but ouch

The 740i cats are £238 each but obviously not original,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
David,
The prices quoted are about right....I got my BMW CC discount (8% at this dealership) and with all I had done came away with not much change out of £1700.00......

Steve

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
92000 in 15 years.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts