BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Official Dinan representative
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have noticed the postings on E60 M5 rear spring noise and front marks on coils, and a couple of people have called to make us aware of the situation. We thank those people because we don’t catch every posting. Calling tech support is the most effective way to make us aware of a problem.

The rear spring is a progressive spring. With this type of design the progression of the spring occurs when some of the coils come into contact with each other, shortening the spring and increasing the spring rate. The coils that are close together should have insulators on them to prevent you from hearing the contact. This is a common practice that you will find with many spring manufacturers. If you are hearing your rear springs, it is likely that the insulators were not installed, they were installed incorrectly, or they have fallen off. Please contact our technical support department at 800-341-5480, and we will arrange to have new insulators installed at no charge.

In related news, Dinan has been testing the 600 hp 5.7 liter M5 in preparation for road tests in car magazines, and we’ve made adjustments designed to improve the car’s ability to both turn into a corner and put down power. Primarily, the change is a slight softening of the rear spring and a reduction in the amount of progression in the progressive spring. Consequently, ride quality will improve along with the handling. These springs have already been designed and are in production. They will be available in about a month. For anyone who wants the spring update, the parts and labor will be covered by Dinan. Just call our technical support department at 800-341-5480, and we will arrange to have them installed.

In regards to front spring marks, the front springs are barrel shaped to make the spring progressive, and the coils should not be hitting each other. One of the coils is supposed to go inside the other coils like on the rear of a 3 series spring. After checking, we believe that some of the springs were not wound correctly and do not have enough barrel shape. The spring bottoms out at 1.5” of travel into a 2.0” bump stop. The bump stop never goes to zero; it usually goes solid at around 1.5” to 1.75”. Therefore, there is no reason to worry about damaging your car because almost all of the energy transmitted into the car over a bump is being absorbed by the bump stop, and the spring is touching down very lightly. Having said that, if anyone is experiencing this please contact our technical support department to arrange a replacement spring set. Since we were just made aware of this issue, it will take a couple months to get new springs wound.

<O:p</O:p
We apologize for this error and will make every effort to rectify it ASAP.<O:p</O:p

Steve Breen

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I must say its nice to see that a rep is going to be here for questions and service. So those of us with the Stg 2 suspension can have the new springs updated at no cost to us? Would we just have to have them sent to a Dinan Authorized dealer?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
No this is a quality response.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I must say its nice to see that a rep is going to be here for questions and service. So those of us with the Stg 2 suspension can have the new springs updated at no cost to us? Would we just have to have them sent to a Dinan Authorized dealer?
I'm curious about this myself. If there's an improvement I'd like
to get this. Also when my M6 stage II was delivered it didn't have
insulators. Is this normal for an M6?

·
Registered
501 Posts

I wonder who helped out with getting someone from Dinan to post here :M5thumbs:

Anyway yes if you would like the newly developed softer rear spring and not worry about insulators take the car to your local Dinan Dealer and it will be free!!!!! :applause:

Great move Steve Dinan to improve customer service and thank you Steve Breen for a quality post.

·
Registered
907 Posts

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm curious about this myself. If there's an improvement I'd like
to get this. Also when my M6 stage II was delivered it didn't have
insulators. Is this normal for an M6?
This is normal. The M6 and M5 springs are not the same. On the M6, the outer coils are touching at ride height and only separate at droop. Hence, there's no need for insulators.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
I agree. For those who have missed it I would recommend seeign these videos with me personally talking at lengtht with Steve Dinan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5H5l56Dy3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J269H_M0UDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ejWuAquYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAji85ECmO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NOETofafVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1s86jnopMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uzOxo_Lk_c

Anyway yes if you would like the newly developed softer rear spring and not worry about insulators take the car to your local Dinan Dealer and it will be free!!!!! :applause:

Great move Steve Dinan to improve customer service and thank you Steve Breen for a quality post.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Primarily, the change is a slight softening of the rear spring and a reduction in the amount of progression in the progressive spring. Consequently, ride quality will improve along with the handling. These springs have already been designed and are in production. They will be available in about a month. For anyone who wants the spring update, the parts and labor will be covered by Dinan.
WOW!! REALLY?!! I'll be at Morgan Hill tomorrow for TPM sensor installation on the Dinan rims, so I'm definitely going to ask Phillip Briseno about this. I love the Stage 2 setup but I did notice that the rear end can be a bit squirmy with slight side to side motion on moderate to hard (not WOT) acceleration. It feels like there's a strong crosswind blowing at the rear end in both directions. Is it normal to feel this with the stiffer Stage 2 setup, or would this minor (but not annoying) phenomenon be due to the stiffer rear springs and/or the thicker anti-roll bar? Would setting the adjustable Dinan anti-roll bar to another slot stop or minimize this wavy side-to-side motion?

·
Registered
513 Posts

Finally - long time coming and much needed... :applause::applause: Now we can all stop guessing and chasing each others tails and get feed back direct from the horses mouth... :hihi::cheers:

·
Registered
227 Posts
WOW!! REALLY?!! I'll be at Morgan Hill tomorrow for TPM sensor installation on the Dinan rims, so I'm definitely going to ask Phillip Briseno about this. I love the Stage 2 setup but I did notice that the rear end can be a bit squirmy with slight side to side motion on moderate to hard (not WOT) acceleration. It feels like there's a strong crosswind blowing at the rear end in both directions. Is it normal to feel this with the stiffer Stage 2 setup, or would this minor (but not annoying) phenomenon be due to the stiffer rear springs and/or the thicker anti-roll bar? Would setting the adjustable Dinan anti-roll bar to another slot stop or minimize this wavy side-to-side motion?
I had the same experience with as you did, and I can tell you that it ain't fun when you're going 150km/h in a slight bend. However, I found out the rear tires were about 5psi over, and the movement have been reduced since. Is this gonna be solved with the new softer springs? So we can just go to a Dinan retailer to get the springs replaced?

·
Registered
136 Posts
If I want to order a set of the new springs...How do I request that?

This is for a new order...I know it won't be available for a month, but I know if I go down to my dealer and ask for this, they'll give me the "blank" look...

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Given all the variables, it's tough to comment on what you're experiencing with your car's handling. That said, we think the new springs are much better than the previous design. Let us know what you think once they're installed.

Thanks.

I had the same experience with as you did, and I can tell you that it ain't fun when you're going 150km/h in a slight bend. However, I found out the rear tires were about 5psi over, and the movement have been reduced since. Is this gonna be solved with the new softer springs? So we can just go to a Dinan retailer to get the springs replaced?

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
very nice customer service... if dinan products went lower in height, id be a customer for sure.
We don't lower cars any further because we don't want to sacrifice the car's performance. The lower you go, the less suspension travel you have. Also, if a car is lowered far beyond stock ride height, the suspension geometry will be incorrect. Excessive lowering has unwanted effects on both handling and ride.

That's the short of it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thanks for the replys.....I hope you will also address some of the other concerns cited on the other threads you're subscribed to.......and not just selectively respond to the "easy" ones...... :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
DINAN will you be willing to post your spring rates for us to review and compare to others?

So this noise issue sounds just like what some guys face with H&R.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The coils that are close together should have insulators on them to prevent you from hearing the contact. This is a common practice that you will find with many spring manufacturers.

hmmmhmmm

No contact on my H&R's.... No insulators required when installing....

·
Registered
394 Posts
That said, we think the new springs are much better than the previous design.
Better as in, more comfortable? I wasn't exactly looking for comfort when I bought the Dinan springs and like the improved handling on the track. Is this change "better" for people who keep their cars on the street?

·
Registered
394 Posts
DELETED PICTURE FROM MY POST - I spoke to Dinan, picture on their site was incorrect and I don't want to cause any additional confusion. Picture posted by OP is the correct way insulators should be installed.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts