BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, so yesterday, just to satisfy my curiosity, I checked the car again, and this time, when I put it into gear it moved...back, and forth...however, there was this God awful groaning sound coming from the back end...as if the e-brake was holding?? But this time it stalled when I took my foot off the clutch...

A couple folks (Dick Roberts and Greg) had mentioned that this didn't sound like a clutch problem, but rather something hydraulic, or wiht the tranny...which I suspect it may be. I'm having it towed to the dealer tomorrow, so I'll hopefully know more then.

If it is a lubrication problem as with some of the M3's, or a throwout bearing that leads to a clutch problem, is this something I should press BMW about fixing at no cost to me??

Your thoughts...??

·
Registered
511 Posts
If its coming from the back i'd say its the diff....

If it was the throwout bearing gone bad, you would hear a squeeking sound every time you press/depress the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Interesting...

Hey Bill, thanks for the input. I had one of the diff seals changed a few months back at the dealership because it was leaking...I'm hoping that's a relatively minor repair.
Why would it affect the cluthc mechanism though??

When the problem first happened I was able to taek my foot off the clutch with the car in gear and it wouldn't stall or lurch forward or anything????

·
Registered
511 Posts
Re: Interesting...

My best guess is that when it first happened the driveshaft was spinning freely thus no movement on the car's part. Since then something probably moved and is coming into contact with the gear attached to the driveshaft not allowing it to turn. I wouldn't do anymore tests on your car other than taking it to the dealer. Don't risk a transmission if its only the diff. I'm not a diff expert but all the symptoms point to a faulty diff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts