BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am told today from NA source that the USA will get launch control, but much to my chagrin, a toned down version. It will launch at lower RPMs than the Euro M5s. They don't trust us or our lawyers, I guess. As for warranty, I hear the 'warranty is the warranty' and there will be no stipulation on number of cycles.

As of 9/1/05 SOP the old E39-style tire pressure monitoring is used on the E60 M5 and not the newer PSI monitoring, which comes later.

MJ
'03 Black/Black
'06 Silver Gray/Black status 155
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
I wonder how toned-down it actually is. I guess they don't need limits on the warranty given that toning it down even a little dramatically reduces the amount of clutch wear on a launch. There's a lot of clutch wear in that last tenth or two of a second.

I wonder if this LC implementation will show up in the official 0-60mph time for the US.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
So for now the M5 will get the same FTM (flat tire monitor--not PSI indicator) system as the rest of the E60 line?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Well this is nothing new. I thought it was something about Federal law or something, not really sure why it is.

The US M3 SMG also had a toned down version of LC which dailed in at 2500rpm instead of 4250rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
MJ said:
As of 9/1/05 SOP the old E39-style tire pressure monitoring is used on the E60 M5 and not the newer PSI monitoring, which comes later.

They actually moved away from PSI monitoring to flat tire monitoring because the PSI monitoring requires a sensor in the wheel, and this causes problems for people changing wheels.

The 7 Series recently changed from PSI monitoring to flat tire monitoring
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
And alot of sensors (not just BMW's) were getting bashed by idiot mechanics.

As for toned down LC... takes a little bit of that huge performance margin everyone gives SMG over manual.

I'll be honest, I was very interested in trying out LC... it might have been enough to sway me, I don't know... but toned down? No thanks, I don't like soggy cereal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
I would think that an optimized LC program would be one of the biggest value-add opportunities a chip company like Powerchip would have. However, if they did so, I also imagine that BMW would be quick not to honor clutch warranties on such cars.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
PSI will soon become mandatory on all cars....

My launch control will be to drop the clutch put it in 1st gear and zooommm....
I gotta wait a year.....:rolleyes:
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
vndkshn said:
As for toned down LC... takes a little bit of that huge performance margin everyone gives SMG over manual.
I think whatever performance margin that may exist between the SMG and traditional manual is the result of the speed with which the SMG can complete the shift, in which case the margin will exist regardless of whether the launch control is being used. Launch control is an added feature that SMG offers (perhaps offering a marginally greater performance margin in straight line acceleration, perhaps not).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
frylord said:
Well this is nothing new. I thought it was something about Federal law or something, not really sure why it is.

The US M3 SMG also had a toned down version of LC which dailed in at 2500rpm instead of 4250rpm.
Your info is a bit off (Euro M3 owner here :))
The us version M3 does LC @ 1800 rpm and the Euro version does it @ 3500 rpm... and this is not the only difference... the catalysts in the US version are on the headers while on the Euro version section 1, giving the Euro M3 extra 10 HP and less (different) rasp in the sound.

It has nothing to do with legal stuff.. BMW NA simply does not want to pay for the extra costs they'll have to deal with.

Sorry guys in US :hihi: ... tough luck! btw... m3 owners in the states would be willing to purchase such a software if available... but no one seems to able to update the US LC... Why would someone do it for the M5 but not the M3?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
I think this is a non issue, at least for me. Maybe it's my age, or my approach, but I've never gotten into a street race that warrented LC. I imagine LC as something that would be used at a track, 1/4 mile or otherwise. I can't imaging exercising LC at a stop light. Every time I've had to exert authority in the street, it has not been part of any agreed upon "race". It's been the sort of spontaneous 'event' that in retrospect WAS a race.

I can just imagine sitting at a light, with some C6 and invoking LC only to have the guy/gal in the other lane turn left. At which point my wife turns to me and says WTF was that? LC is sort of an all or nothing feature. It's not that I might not try it once or twice, but I can't imagine using it in anger on the street.

JMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
As a former E46 SMG M3 owner and soon to be E60 M5 owner, I can say that SMG was one of the reasons the car was so fun to drive. I used it on the track and on the street and drove it in S-5 or S-6 mode all the time. If you want feedback on SMG, I would visit the E46 messageboard at roadfly.org as it is the best source on the internet for E46 M3 owners. They will certainly provide a great perspective on SMG and launch control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
MRichmond said:
I think whatever performance margin that may exist between the SMG and traditional manual is the result of the speed with which the SMG can complete the shift, in which case the margin will exist regardless of whether the launch control is being used. Launch control is an added feature that SMG offers (perhaps offering a marginally greater performance margin in straight line acceleration, perhaps not).
I disagree... it can't be both ways. One minute, SMG fans talk about how much more effective the launch will be with LC... and how much faster the car will be because of it. Now that the US gets the sub-optimal LC... you have to give some of that time back.

Realize I am not directing this statement at you.. just making a point that while the original SMG3 was interesting to me, hearing more and more of the problems, and now a toned down version... When a few months ago everyone was talking up its abilities and features... now one of those features has been cut a bit short.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
abady911 said:
Your info is a bit off (Euro M3 owner here :))
the catalysts in the US version are on the headers while on the Euro version section 1, giving the Euro M3 extra 10 HP and less (different) rasp in the sound.
Actually... it is not 10hp at all. It is more like 5hp. Keep in mind, different measuring systems in place, which accounts for about 5 hp of the difference. The headers/cats in the Euro version of the M3 are worth about 5hp.

Of course, why you brought it up is beyond me.... and why I responded... its been one of those days!
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
vndkshn said:
I disagree... it can't be both ways. One minute, SMG fans talk about how much more effective the launch will be with LC... and how much faster the car will be because of it. Now that the US gets the sub-optimal LC... you have to give some of that time back.

Realize I am not directing this statement at you.. just making a point that while the original SMG3 was interesting to me, hearing more and more of the problems, and now a toned down version... When a few months ago everyone was talking up its abilities and features... now one of those features has been cut a bit short.
I suppose we will know once someone conducts a comprehensive comparison test between LC and non-LC launches. Like jessem, I never saw LC as an important part of the SMG package. I am sure that I will try it as a novelty and show it to a couple of friends, but I do not expect to use it with any regularity. I certainly agree that those for whom LC was an important feature will not be pleased by anything other than the full-fledged LC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
id much rather have closer gear spacing up to 100 mph rather than launch control.

Much more useful IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
I predict that 0-100k (0-62mph) times will be slightly better with the manual trans than the SMG and its toned-down LC. This was certainly true for the M3 and I believe will continue with the M5 and SMG3, though the difference may diminish. SMG will still be superior in most other performance areas.

Regardless, I don't believe that this will make a big difference to most here. I am ambivalent about the SMG since I've never owned a car that wasn't a manual. What pushed me over to try the SMG is the simple fact it is available now (almost) while I would need to wait at least another year for the manual.

Tom
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top