BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, everyone. In my previous post from 03-02-2011, I detailed some issues I am having with updating to the BM53 radio for my '00 M5. Here's what I've found so far. The BM53 started giving sound but reception was very poor. A few of my city's strongest radio stations were coming in weak or had no reception at all. I had sound from the tape deck but still no sound from from the Dice unit. I swapped the C43 back in and had sound from all three sources, although the tape deck sounded as if the right side channel was gone (this was always a problem with the C43 only if I played the tape deck; sound from the radio and iPod came through both left and right channels). I swapped the BM53 back in and again I have sound for everything except the iPod. It works because info from the iPod is visible on my instrument cluster.

So, I figured I'd button everything up and drive the car to see what if anything happens. Well, something happened. NOTHING. Nothing as in no sound/reception from any source. Just the "fuzzy shower" sound. I even undid the bracket and laid the BM53 in the trunk like it was when I had sound. Nothing. So in goes the C43 again and everything works.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. But, I'm wondering if the BM53 is bad.

Thanks in advance for any answers or insight into this problem and I Thank you all again for the responses to my previous post. By the way. this what I found when I entered the service mode of the BM53:

SOFTWARE VERSION; 18-03 88

FM 89.3 ********
F 0 Q 0 0000

DSP 1

TP VOLUME 0

AREA USA

AF MAN

Tahnks again.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you able to try another BM53 from another car? If it works fine then you have your problem...
That idea has occurred to me and that would probably be the fastest and easiest way to find out. I'll keep at it and report back.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:grrrr:Well, I tried again to get the BM53 radio module to work. Here's what happened:

...this time, I disconnected the Dice completely, including the converter for the DSP. This was suggested by someone on another board (www.xoutpost.com). With just the BM53 hooked up, I got sound and the tape player works. I reconnected the Dice and, nothing. I can scroll through the iPod menus but still no sound. I also had no AM signal (shower sound) and two fairly strong radio stations in my area could not be pulled in. The RDS and PTY worked for the first time.

Then, by chance, I moved the BM53 into position to bolt it to the bracket and the sound faded out. It seems that if lying one way, the BM53 loses all reception. I verified this by moving the module to different positions while it was still turned on. I go back to the C43 and again, no problems (including iPod- but I must use the Dice converter with the C43). I'm still on a mission to get another BM53, or at least see if I can have mine repaired first.

I'll keep the updates coming. If anyone has any hints or solution(s), I'd greatly apprecate it. Thanks again:sad1:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I would suggest another BM53 to try as well. And if it all works out and you would like to get rid of your (suspected) bad unit, let me know.

-Josiah

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would suggest another BM53 to try as well. And if it all works out and you would like to get rid of your (suspected) bad unit, let me know.

-Josiah
OK. I'll keep everyone posted and I'll let you know what I'll do with the old one if in fact (probably is) it is bad.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Have had a look around and haven't been able to find a definitive answer, so I'll just ask.

What is the benefit of the BM53/BM54 upgrade? Is this something I should consider, I understand the US get the BM53, and Europe generally get either the BM53 or the BM54. It seems it is a later radio unit but what does this affect/improve?

Help and references to other easy-to-find threads welcomed :)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
It allows track names to be displayed on the Nav screen (with a compatible CD changer) and lowers the radio volume during Nav instructions rather than muting it. Nothing massive.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Early US get the C43, later US get the BM53.

Early Europe get the BM24, later Europe get the BM54.

There is not a great deal of difference between the BM24 and BM54, BM24s tend to get dry joints, looks like the BM54's are going the same way or getting other faults now. BM54's made from September 2005 support 'Dynamic Route' when automatically routes you round TMC delays rather then just telling you and support ID3 info display from an MP3 CD Changer.

The BM53 is a little different to the C43, particularly the way it displays CD Track information, this can cause problems for other devices that may want to display text on the screen.

Both C43 and BM24 have round pins and a ISO aerial socket. BM53 and BM54 have flat pins and a FAKRA aerial socket (except a special version of the BM54 with round pins).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts