1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, I can only assume that if you have the HUD on, the messages (or at least most important ones) will be displayed there instead of the LCD for the OBC below the dials. Is this it?:hihihi:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice idea :7: , but i think that is :blabla:

In one of the hungary pictures you can see the display in the center, which shows an message like: Warning "Transmission fail, drive slower"

Has anyone heard the "bing" in the video with the sepia m5, driver was from netherland, but i dont know how.
The M5 plays a Jingle "bing", to show you, that you have made an mistake, but WHAT? Only bing, nothing else, not even on display.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Jones said:
Nice idea :7: , but i think that is :blabla:

In one of the hungary pictures you can see the display in the center, which shows an message like: Warning "Transmission fail, drive slower"

Has anyone heard the "bing" in the video with the sepia m5, driver was from netherland, but i dont know how.
The M5 plays a Jingle "bing", to show you, that you have made an mistake, but WHAT? Only bing, nothing else, not even on display.
That chime is most likely for a user-preset speed limit, to remind him/her to slow down.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think it is frightening that there could be 300 things that require a warning... :2:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
UKMFreak said:
I think it is frightening that there could be 300 things that require a warning... :2:
Thats one of the things that concerns me as it was one of the major reasons why I got rid as the SL55.....

·
Registered
213 Posts
As long as you read it in a reasonable way (and it helps if you are technically inclined/knowlwdgeable) the more information you get the better.

Remeber the old days (older than me actually, but i know about it :p) when oil temp and oil pressure were part of the standard in a car's instrumentation. Wasn't that much more useful than the current oil "idiot light" we have now...

I say, thank god for OBD and OBC. But again, i'm a dedicated car nut engineer. I only wish there was a portuguese brand where i could do high tech work for cars :hihihi: .:cheers:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The only problem with the gauges of old were the fact that many are not that accurate, and most people have not idea what correct readings should be. Back in the day when I worked as a mechanic, we used to get plenty of cars showing up for low or high oil pressures, when the "cause" was the change in temps making the oil thinner or thicker at startup. Or oil temps that were high yet still safe... in the middle of summer.

And the stories of people ignoring idiot lights and gauges never end. My sister in law once drove a car for three weeks with the temp gauge in the red before mentioning it to me. She later got a new car that had an idiot light instead of gauges (at my request). She drove that one for a week with the temp idiot light on before mentioning it. She later drove with the oil pressure light on... that problem didn't last as long as you can imagine!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nice to hear you worked as a mechanic. Arround here it's not so common that people know both about cars and computers. Usually it's one or the other, with computer winning big time, especially among women and college students. Few people like to get their "hands dirty" ;).

About user behaviour... for me it goes like this... everything is having more and more electronics built into, especially cars, and it's very dificult to invent something completely user proof, specially, as you point out, when users don't have a clue of the underlying technology. I had this problem when building a small database (people make genuine mistakes, but it's almost like they do it on purpose so just you have to write some more failsafe lines of code...) and it also happens in cars. Even professional drivers (i deal with a lot of transporters so most of drivers are 18wheel professionals) sometimes seem to be completely out of touch with the mechanics of their vehicle...ouich

Did you come to Portugal for New Year's eve? Or will i see 2005 a few hours before ;)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yeah, I got out of working on cars. Several reasons. One, I got tired of freezing my tail off all winter and sweating to death in the summer. That crap got old quick. I worked at a performance shop, specializing in Corvettes, which suck in snow. The "Blizzard of '96" had me out of work for a month since we couldn't move the cars around. That was the deciding factor for me. Setting myself on fire once didn't help!

There is good money in working on cars if you are in the right areas. I know a BMW tech that pulls down six figures. My wife has a cousin outside of Lisbon who wants to come to the states to learn more about cars.

I stayed home this year, we have two foreign exchange students, so world travels are out of the question. Next year we are thinking Times Square or Rio (heard that is one heck of a party!).

Back to the topic, people will surely complain, but at some point they need to just make the car so annoying when it has a fault so they don't ignore it. I know folks who drive around with SES lights on, even ABS and Airbag lights. Either have it make such a racket that people can't put up with it, or just have it die! Of course, imagine if it died in the wrong part of town.

Just as soon as a system is designed to be fool proof, there will be a leap in evolution to create a new fool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts