BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I chose a subtle dark blue colour and ordered the car debadged for a reason. I did not want an overtly flashy car that screams "M5" at everyone. It seems, however, that I have failed miserably in this endeavour.

Yesterday, I had half a dozen instances of people slowing down or pulling alongside followed by various types of thumbs up, waves & honking. It's nice for the car to be appreciated so much but I'd rather it remained annonymous out on the road. I guess it's not the stealthy car the E39 was, or perhaps it's just such a phenomenon at the moment.

Oh, don't get me started about the 'rent-a-mob' it attracts at the petrol station... :rolleyes:

Anybody else have similar experiences in their M5?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes, lots of pictures taken while driving, or stopped at red light. Thumbs ups too. Once I came out from having paid for gas to find 2 guys almost crawling under the car examining the brakes and exhaust system ?????? It was the first M5 they had seen in the flesh, and therein lies the explanation for the attention...there are not many E60 M5 delivered and on the road yet.

Jonas

·
Registered
43 Posts
Had a guy in a Peugeot 306 GTi trying to take a picture on his camera phone whilst driving at 70mph+ in outside lane of M60 second day I had it. Also a couple of security guys at a car park having a good nosey.

Be interesting to see how long it takes for the novelty to wear off. Probably a good 18 months yet.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
You should be happy about that with people doing thumbs uo and taking pictures. When I drove the Interlagos Blue M5 people even followdd us and took a video of us.

Be happy as long as they are friendly :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Ashok,
Its both. The E60 is just a more aggressive style than the E39 and the M5 variant is easier to spot due to the side gills. IMHO debadging the car will have little effect. Hang in there- just be sure to wear a baseball cap and sunglasses :D

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Should have gone to Buchloe if you wanted anonymity! ;)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
hahah its probably because its all so nice n shiny/showroom gleam...etc lol.. what about putting the 520d sign on the back? might scare a few folks thinking its just a m5 replica ;) heheh

·
Registered
301 Posts
The E60 isn't the same wolf in sheeps clothing that the E28 was, that's for sure.. closer to a wolf in wolfs clothing. Or perhaps a wolf in sharks clothing..

"Grrr look at me! Look how powerful i am!! Grrrrrr!! I'm a shark.... i've got a fin on my back..." :hihi:

The E60 is a far more aggressive looking car. As long as people aren't damaging your car, and that they're only giving it praise, i wouldn't be worried at all.

·
Registered
316 Posts
When I saw this thread I got a bad feeling in my stomach. I was sure something bad had happened to your car......I won't even tell you what I was thinking!

Be happy all the attention has been positive so far.

Ryan

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
I always get a huge amount of attention in mine in London. I stayed in the Langham hotel on Friday night and came out to find the doorman giving it a good going over. He asked me to 'give it some' when I left so I pulled a good 50 metre wheelspin and left half my tyres behind... :1:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ashok,

If you think the attention is bad in a E60 M5 then you should see what happens driving the new Ferrari 430 :haha: :haha:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes its hardly the Q-Car I wanted it to be either. Lots of attention including some numpty in a Cavaliar SRi with an exhaust the size of a dustbin who seemed to think he could out-gun me at a roundabout :M5launch:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've noticed that when you accelerate a little bit people use to turn their heads very quik but even when the car is still it gets much attention, maybe because it's black

sheers

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ashok, I had the same, pics on the M40, pic's when I was round a friends house... As long as they are all good it's nice.. I have decided to regiser the car to the company address and not home, just in case some A'hole is taking the pic for the reg, to get a home address...

Must admit Interlagos and Grey is a bit OTT as a Q car now I have it (or when I get her back) but lot's of people just love the new M5...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts