BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My car idles very strange. It revs from 700 to 500 and up to 700 and so on. It does that every 2 seconds or so.

Whats giong on? :(

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ahmed said:
Hi guys,

My car idles very strange. It revs from 700 to 500 and up to 700 and so on. It does that every 2 seconds or so.

Whats giong on? :(
are there any check engine lights?

could be a number of things that would affect that from a sensor perspective

my GUESS would be a bad MAF sensor... or some other related part

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ahmed:

At cold mine will sometimes "oscillate" around 700 RPM or so. Sometimes I think my beast has trouble making up it's mind. Looks like two sensors battling for which is the proper RPM, with niether winning.

Does this happen all the time, or only cold, or very hot?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've noticed this periodically. Mainly when the engine is driven up to normal operating temperature then shut down for a short time (30-90 minutes?). ...Like when you drive to lunch then get in the car to return to work... Then it seems to go away when back up to full temp.

When fully cold it will rarely do this - and a quick rev to 2000 - 3000 (jab to the accelerator) seems to make it go away.

I hope it doesn't get worse.

Paul

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It happens all the time! From the outside, it sounds like the car is about to die. Today was the last straw.... the car would crank but switch off continuoulsy! I couldnt get her to start!

I gave up and let her parked for a few hours, came back and vila, she started up! Got her home and tried to restart her, same thing!!!! Its never happened to me before!

I have brand new MAF's, brand new CAM sensors!

Could a leak in the exhaust cause this? Could it be the fuel pump? I need your input before taking her in to the dealers tomorrow!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Ahmed said:
It happens all the time! From the outside, it sounds like the car is about to die. Today was the last straw.... the car would crank but switch off continuoulsy! I couldnt get her to start!

I gave up and let her parked for a few hours, came back and vila, she started up! Got her home and tried to restart her, same thing!!!! Its never happened to me before!
I have brand new MAF's, brand new CAM sensors!
Could a leak in the exhaust cause this? Could it be the fuel pump? I need your input before taking her in to the dealers tomorrow!
Thanks
Might be worth checking the coils and spark plugs... :M5thumbs:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts