BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since so many have asked, these are our preliminary stage ranking based on video and press coverage.

Team Polizei Unoffical Daily Finishes:

11th D'Acoz
8th Prague
1st Vienna
2nd Budapest
10th KRKA
6th Dubrovnik
5th Taormina
1st Rome
4th Florence
2nd Monaco

Greg & Kalbas (Team CLK-DTM) arrived in Monaco first. Multiple witnesses saw the Rainbow Diablo leave the Rome checkpoint at least an hour before the route cards were handed out.

Furthermore, there are strong rumors that Oliver Morley (Black/Orange SLR) asked Max Cooper to delay/reroute the Polizei M5 through Rome traffic in order to give other cars (including Oliver in his breakdown-prone SLR) a chance to get ahead of us.

Why?

Because three cars led the field to virtually every checkpoint:

1) CLK-DTM - Greg & Kalbas
2) Polizei M5 - Alex Roy & Jon Goodrich
3) Bentley GT - Michael Ross & Emma Payne

Oliver couldn't believe that anyone, especially the "lowly" Polizei M5, could arrive so far ahead of his Maclaren SLR so frequently (including two 1st place finishes) that he spread the rumor in Rome that Team Polizei had cheated by leaving Taormina early. I volunteered to share my Garmin GPS time track file, but he was more concerned with sabotaging the efforts of Team Polizei than in fair play.

Oliver had the Mercedes/Maclaren technician box in the Polizei M5, preventing us from refueling, and guaranteeing that both our cars would remain overnight in front of the subway stop. I didn't really enjoy having dozens of people sit and stand on my car through the evening.

The departure from Rome saw Max Cooper asking Team Polizei to lead a parade past the Coliseum. We rallied several cars to depart (including the CLK-DTM and Bentley GT) and were quickly mired in rush hour traffic. Meanwhile, Oliver and others skipped the "parade" and headed straight out of town. Within minutes we realized we'd been tricked, so we broke out of traffic and headed for the Autostrada.

The roads were clear and the weather good, allowing Greg & Kalbas to push the CLK-DTM hard. Within 15 minutes of leaving Rome, they were not to be seen again until the finish line.

As for Oliver, Team Polizei made up for lost time by passing 50+ cars on the way to the Florence checkpoint and coming in 4th. We passed Oliver going the other way, and he showed his true spirit by giving us the finger.

Suffice to say, when we finally caught up with him several hours later, he with his shirt off and talking on the phone whilst the SLR sat with its bonnet open, this was the first time Team Polizei didn't stop to help a fellow Gumballer. I'd nominate Oliver for worst Gumball Spirit of 2005.

Team Polizei arrived in Monaco soon thereafter. Factoring for the Rainbow Diablo's (and others') early Rome Departure and the unsportsmanlike antics of Oliver and his co-conspirators, the CLK-DTM and Team Polizei would have arrived with an even more commanding lead over the other cars. For now we remain satisfied with an unofficial 2nd to Monaco and overall, which we can document via our Garmin GPS track, ALK Copilot logs and 45 hours of in-car video.

I would place Greg & Kalbas in the #1 position for the rally overall, although some have suggested that Team 144 Polizei was the winner.

I think Greg & Kalbas deserve it for too many reasons to list here. Other spectacular performances were seen from Michael Ross & Emma Payne (Bentley GT), Mark Muss & Seamus Conlon (Lotus Esprit), Gregoire Boitard & Alex Repyquet (996) and Spencer Bourne (Porsche 996TT).

A lot of people talk about the "winner", but the fact is that the official Gumball trophies are, for legal reasons, never given to cars based their time-based rankings. Furthermore, Gumball doesn't gather departure or arrival times, nor structure the departures in a manner condusive to a fair race.

Since there is no central repository for Gumball driver times & performance (daily and overall), nor is there a structured point system, the declaration of a daily "stage" winner and an overall "event" winner falls to the reasonable judgement of those rally entrants who depart on time and fairly and reasonably track each other, generating a daily consensus to be discussed over dinner.

It's hilarious that any driver believes he can leave early and then claim to have come in first. There are too many people watching online and in the forums to get away with a lie like that. It's especially insulting when Oliver (or anyone else) accuses Team Polizei of leaving early, since I read the Boards and know full well that any outright deception will be caught by the fans, if not by other drivers who read and post here.

Many things effect daily arrival rankings, and the most important one isn't whether one breaks down, but whether one stops to help when someone else breaks down.

Team Polizei acheived two 1st Place finishes (Rome and Vienna) and multiple Top 10 arrivals, and that included the stages where we were negatively affected by stopping to help Michael Ross and others who had mechanical difficulties. Compare this with the numerous first time Gumballers who ignored their fellow rally drivers standing on the side of the road, and who still arrived late in the day.

Luckily, there were many examples of proper Gumball spirit this year as every other, but I promise everyone - the next time a Black/Orange SLR breaks down, I won't be stopping.

We saw some old friends and made some new ones this year - excellent drivers all, so cheers to Greg, Kalbas, Gregoire, Alex, Michael, Emma, Mark and Seamus, and anyone else we've forgotten...

I hope this clarifies my view.

Best Regards,

Alex

·
Registered
119 Posts
polizieim5 said:
I would place Greg & Kalbas in the #1 position for the rally overall, although some have suggested that Team 144 Polizei was the winner.

I think Greg & Kalbas deserve it for too many reasons to list here. Other spectacular performances were seen from Michael Ross & Emma Payne (Bentley GT), Mark Muss & Seamus Conlon (Lotus Esprit), Gregoire Boitard & Alex Repyquet (996) and Spencer Bourne (Porsche 996TT).
To me, Greg & Kalbas and you, Team 144, are both winners of this years rally :1:
Also great spirit of the gumball for being honest Alex !! Great write up, the story is very well balanced and indeed, a Black/orange merc.SLR driver who gives you the finger, does not deserve it to be helped,...

Thanks for posting!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
polizieim5 said:
Since so many have asked, these are our preliminary stage ranking based on video and press coverage.

Team Polizei Unoffical Daily Finishes:

11th D'Acoz
8th Prague
1st Vienna
2nd Budapest
10th KRKA
6th Dubrovnik
5th Taormina
1st Rome
4th Florence
2nd Monaco

Greg & Kalbas (Team CLK-DTM) arrived in Monaco first. Multiple witnesses saw the Rainbow Diablo leave the Rome checkpoint at least an hour before the route cards were handed out.

Furthermore, there are strong rumors that Oliver Morley (Black/Orange SLR) asked Max Cooper to delay/reroute the Polizei M5 through Rome traffic in order to give other cars (including Oliver in his breakdown-prone SLR) a chance to get ahead of us.

Why?

Because three cars led the field to virtually every checkpoint:

1) CLK-DTM - Greg & Kalbas
2) Polizei M5 - Alex Roy & Jon Goodrich
3) Bentley GT - Michael Ross & Emma Payne

Oliver couldn't believe that anyone, especially the "lowly" Polizei M5, could arrive so far ahead of his Maclaren SLR so frequently (including two 1st place finishes) that he spread the rumor in Rome that Team Polizei had cheated by leaving Taormina early. I volunteered to share my Garmin GPS time track file, but he was more concerned with sabotaging the efforts of Team Polizei than in fair play.

Oliver had the Mercedes/Maclaren technician box in the Polizei M5, preventing us from refueling, and guaranteeing that both our cars would remain overnight in front of the subway stop. I didn't really enjoy having dozens of people sit and stand on my car through the evening.

The departure from Rome saw Max Cooper asking Team Polizei to lead a parade past the Coliseum. We rallied several cars to depart (including the CLK-DTM and Bentley GT) and were quickly mired in rush hour traffic. Meanwhile, Oliver and others skipped the "parade" and headed straight out of town. Within minutes we realized we'd been tricked, so we broke out of traffic and headed for the Autostrada.

The roads were clear and the weather good, allowing Greg & Kalbas to push the CLK-DTM hard. Within 15 minutes of leaving Rome, they were not to be seen again until the finish line.

As for Oliver, Team Polizei made up for lost time by passing 50+ cars on the way to the Florence checkpoint and coming in 4th. We passed Oliver going the other way, and he showed his true spirit by giving us the finger.

Suffice to say, when we finally caught up with him several hours later, he with his shirt off and talking on the phone whilst the SLR sat with its bonnet open, this was the first time Team Polizei didn't stop to help a fellow Gumballer. I'd nominate Oliver for worst Gumball Spirit of 2005.

Team Polizei arrived in Monaco soon thereafter. Factoring for the Rainbow Diablo's (and others') early Rome Departure and the unsportsmanlike antics of Oliver and his co-conspirators, the CLK-DTM and Team Polizei would have arrived with an even more commanding lead over the other cars. For now we remain satisfied with an unofficial 2nd to Monaco and overall, which we can document via our Garmin GPS track, ALK Copilot logs and 45 hours of in-car video.

A lot of people talk about the "winner", but the fact is that the official Gumball trophies are, for legal reasons, never given to cars based their time-based rankings. Furthermore, Gumball doesn't gather departure or arrival times, nor structure the departures in a manner condusive to a fair race.

Since there is no central repository for Gumball driver times & performance (daily and overall), nor is there a structured point system, the declaration of a daily "stage" winner and an overall "event" winner falls to the reasonable judgement of those rally entrants who depart on time and fairly and reasonably track each other, generating a daily consensus to be discussed over dinner.

It's hilarious that any driver believes he can leave early and then claim to have come in first. There are too many people watching online and in the forums to get away with a lie like that. It's especially insulting when Oliver (or anyone else) accuses Team Polizei of leaving early, since I read the Boards and know full well that any outright deception will be caught by the fans, if not by other drivers who read and post here.

Many things effect daily arrival rankings, and the most important one isn't whether one breaks down, but whether one stops to help when someone else breaks down.

Team Polizei acheived two 1st Place finishes (Rome and Vienna) and multiple Top 10 arrivals, and that included the stages where we were negatively affected by stopping to help Michael Ross and others who had mechanical difficulties. Compare this with the numerous first time Gumballers who ignored their fellow rally drivers standing on the side of the road, and who still arrived late in the day.

Luckily, there were many examples of proper Gumball spirit this year as every other, but I promise everyone - the next time a Black/Orange SLR breaks down, I won't be stopping.

We saw some old friends and made some new ones this year - excellent drivers all, so cheers to Greg, Kalbas, Gregoire, Alex, Michael, Emma, Mark and Seamus, and anyone else we've forgotten...

I hope this clarifies my view.

Best Regards,

Alex
Wow, what an incredible account of the events that transpired over the course of the Gumball. It is sad to hear that some people are so caught up in "winning" that they stoop to such low levels. Mr. Roy you are a class act Gumballer, and because of people like you as well as another class act, Mr. Ross, Gumball is what it is. (A SIDE NOTE: I had the fortune of meeting and getting to talk to each of you when the 2003 editon came through Tucson, Arizona. Mr. Ross was driving his Z8 and the morning of departure you were in the white bath robes and had lit off a few smoke bombs and had the blow up doll strapped in the back seat.) If the rally was filled with more people like the Black SLR driver, instead of gentlemen like yourselves then no one would want to participate in the rally. I guess some of these other participants have forgot about having fun while Gumballing, they want to "win" at all costs. "It's not a race, it's a rally." Furthermore it shows the real integrity that some of the Gumballers have or the lack thereof. Thank you for your wonderful account of the events. Even though some conspired against you, you still put on a wonderful showing in terms of overall performance for this years rally.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tjitse said:
To me, Greg & Kalbas and you, Team 144, are both winners of this years rally :1:
Also great spirit of the gumball for being honest Alex !! Great write up, the story is very well balanced and indeed, a Black/orange merc.SLR driver who gives you the finger, does not deserve it to be helped,...

Thanks for posting!!!
Whats Kalbas' view about the facts?
Anyway, congratulations Alex, you once again proved your legendary gumball status & spirit!! :cheers:
Shame on that SLR ...

·
Registered
47 Posts
DMuitW said:
Whats Kalbas' view about the facts?
Anyway, congratulations Alex, you once again proved your legendary gumball status & spirit!! :cheers:
Shame on that SLR ...

Bloody Merc drivers... grrrrrrr

·
Banned
233 Posts
Just add a little bit of detail to the SLR... he had a puncture on the last day and when he attempted to use the tyre weld to repair it he applied it wrongly with the result that it exploded and covered his car (and more importantly) his face in the stuff. I was racing the Testarossa at the time and we stopped for a minute to find out what was wrong then went away (I must confesss to giggling slightly):byebye: The guy did drive very aggresively against other Gumballers and would refuse to move over or make room and generally drive like a typical Merc owner. You could put Mother Teresa in a Merc and she would turn into a ***** from hell the moment she got behind the wheel.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BalkanExpress said:
Just add a little bit of detail to the SLR... he had a puncture on the last day and when he attempted to use the tyre weld to repair it he applied it wrongly with the result that it exploded and covered his car (and more importantly) his face in the stuff. I was racing the Testarossa at the time and we stopped for a minute to find out what was wrong then went away (I must confesss to giggling slightly):byebye: The guy did drive very aggresively against other Gumballers and would refuse to move over or make room and generally drive like a typical Merc owner. You could put Mother Teresa in a Merc and she would turn into a ***** from hell the moment she got behind the wheel.
Dear Balkan Express:

I owe you some $ and EUR. Please PM me the details and address!

Warmest Regards from Polizei HQ.

Alex

·
Registered
60 Posts
This makes everything clear... there's no place for such people in such events...
Congratulations Alex for another great Gumball.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spectrum_ said:
This makes everything clear... there's no place for such people in such events...
Congratulations Alex for another great Gumball.
Balkan Express was kind enough to lend me some local currency to cover gas and fines - I, of course, had given all MY money to my co-pilot to spend on dinner with a more attractive Gumballer than I.

Best,

Alex

·
Banned
233 Posts
Errrr, yeah.... Hi Kalbas! nice car:M5thumbs:. The reason why he stayed a decent chap is because his Merc was really a taxi with a body kit thus it doesnt count as a normal Merc :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
BalkanExpress said:
Quite funny, in here we call those drivers BMW drivers. They keep on driving the utmost left lane with their left flashlight on. But hey, no offence intended hiha
I'm a merc driver myself, and I think it still depends upon the person...

Greets, Matt

·
Banned
233 Posts
polizieim5 said:
Balkan Express was kind enough to lend me some local currency to cover gas and fines - I, of course, had given all MY money to my co-pilot to spend on dinner with a more attractive Gumballer than I.

Hi Alex,

You did what? You gave all your money to J just so he could smooch some dolly bird? I always thought he was gay and you have confirmed my suspicions! Remember the old army lesson: only a poof goes and shags a girl when instead he could be out drinking beer with his mates! Errr..... no, I never really understood it either... just what the boys in the rugby club would say before heading off to the sauna (to those reading, I know the Lady and am just kidding, especially if she reads this!).

By the way I will have to get you some cigars: The UN shop is selling Grade 1 'Romeo et Juliette' robustos for the square root of bugger all :), as well as tubed churchills and double coronas.

Car 72

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great write-up. Surprising story though... that's too bad.

Hey watch the merc comments though, I happen to think merc drivers around here are actually nicer than the bimmer drivers :grrrr:

I'd like to hear input from Kalbas on this one

·
Registered
15 Posts
KNanthrup said:
Great write-up. Surprising story though... that's too bad.

Hey watch the merc comments though, I happen to think merc drivers around here are actually nicer than the bimmer drivers :grrrr:

I'd like to hear input from Kalbas on this one
lol, wouldn't deny that, but since we're on a BMW board, i think this topic lays a bit sensitive here :1:

·
Registered
210 Posts
There sholud be a more precise and fool proof tracking and timing system next year, with split times from checkpoint to checkpoint.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oz-cro said:
There sholud be a more precise and fool proof tracking and timing system next year, with split times from checkpoint to checkpoint.
There will never be an official time tracking/scoring system because, from a legal standpoint, a rally cannot be timed if it is to remain an insurable event. It is not legal to hold a timed competition on public roads. The liability is to great to even debate the point, and sponsors could never become involved.

Fans might, maybe(!) try to follow the times based on the online real-time tracking, but no rally organizer could ever condone this. For now and the forseeable future, we'll all have to rely on fair-minded drivers to respect the basic gentleman's rules of the rally regarding departure times and route cards.

It was quite hilarious to pull into Vienna after three hours of 9/10ths driving from Prague and find some guy in a Red Ferrari 360 with his cute blond girlfriend sitting sheepishly in the corner of the Gumball Banquet Hall pretending they'd come in first.

They claimed they couldn't cross the Czech border due to missing paperwork and so had to go straight to Vienna, gaining 12 hours on everyone else. They were a little too shy to tell that story to the crowds outside who knew better than to believe that any Gumballer could possibly drive so fast as to gain a 12 hour advantage. I suggested that maybe they should have waited at the Czech border (like 60+ other cars did) until their paperwork was sorted out, so at least they might have gotten to know the other drivers and added to the social aspect of the rally, which is, after all, one of the things that makes these rallies worth doing.

Best,
Alex

·
Registered
103 Posts
Kalbas

Hi Guys,

Merc, Bimmers, Cavallinos… who cares?

The essential is your ability to have your right foot as close to the metal as possible with an ounce of brain juice so that you can make it to destination as eraly as possible.

You leave at the same time as others and you try to make as early as possible.

Someone asked, I have already said that Alex and John were tough (but extremely gentlemen) competitors. Always in the best spirit Same thing for Spencer in his blue 99TT.

We had to push hard to manage early arrivals.

BALKANEXPRESSCOTTISH: we are still waiting for the taxi sign you promised us!!! We cannot take customers any longer without that **** sign!! You are going to ge us in trouble Hurry up!! Put it on my tab !! (X)

ALEX:See ya

PS: Oliver in the blk SLR never told us what was his fuel tank capacity!!

Well, I love the Board, reading everyone's opinion. It's fanastic

:byebye:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: Kalbas

Kalbas said:
Hi Guys,

Merc, Bimmers, Cavallinos… who cares?

The essential is your ability to have your right foot as close to the metal as possible with an ounce of brain juice so that you can make it to destination as eraly as possible.

You leave at the same time as others and you try to make as early as possible.

Someone asked, I have already said that Alex and John were tough (but extremely gentlemen) competitors. Always in the best spirit Same thing for Spencer in his blue 99TT.

We had to push hard to manage early arrivals.

BALKANEXPRESSCOTTISH: we are still waiting for the taxi sign you promised us!!! We cannot take customers any longer without that **** sign!! You are going to ge us in trouble Hurry up!! Put it on my tab !! (X)

ALEX:See ya

PS: Oliver in the blk SLR never told us what was his fuel tank capacity!!

Well, I love the Board, reading everyone's opinion. It's fanastic

:byebye:

Signs on its way

1 - 20 of 25 Posts