BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gustav, please feel free to move this thread, as I could not find an appropriate place to post it, but here goes:

I own several petrol stations and a regular customer, who owns an e90 320 d, comes in for her customary fill up. After dispensing ~ 20 litres, the attendant realizes he accidentally used 95 octane ULP as opposed t0 50 ppm ULS diesel. We place a call to BMW on call, and the car is is flat bedded to BMW. Based on a previous experience where they charged an exorbitant price (R 48 000) to a fellow dealer, I place a call to the service manager to make him aware that Mercedes Benz and Audi charge approximately R 1 500 in such instances, as they drain the fuel and replace the fuel filter.

Two hours later I receive a real condescending letter from BMW stating that they will do their utmost to maintain the integrity of the vehicle for a minimal cost of, wait for it, R 68 000.

I almost had a stroke. The vehicle in question had 95 000 kms on it, and they threatened to void the motorplan if we drained the fuel ourselves. All BMW's in South Africa have a 100 000 km comprehensive motorplan, so essentially you only pay for tyres.

They were prepared to replace the fuel pump, injectors and all a multidude of sensors on the vehicle.

I asked if they disclosed this highway robbery to every customer that purchased a diesel vehicle ie., if you mistakenly fill up with Unleaded be prepared to fork over R 68 000 or risk having your motorplan denied. They couldn't answer me.

Needless to say, we drained the fuel from the vehicle ourselves and replaced the fuel filter. The car is purring like a kitten.

I'll gladly disclose the name of the dealer as well as the reference number for the logged call I placed with BMW South Africa. I'll even scan the bullcrap letter and quote they faxed to me.

I purchased my M5 from the same dealer, and I vowed never to support them in the future. Does the same rule apply to other countries, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I would say you did the correct thing,,,,I would think you would have been better off doing it yourself in the first place.....nice move.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Definitely, scandalous is the only way you can describe that! I would be refusing to give them my business too!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts