BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello board,
It was my buddies turn to put gas in my car on our road trip during spring break and while I was taking a break to the little boys room he was dropping in the cheapest gas, I ran on it smoothly and didnt drive in high revs. I was just wondering how can the gas affect my engine, performance, or life of my car? Also, check out this burnout video I recorded, tell me that isn't some excellent parking!

YouTube - salaams BMW M5 burnout

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm also of the opinion that it's never a good idea to put anything less than 91 AKI octane in the beast.
However, engineers attack me if I'm wrong, but I truly believe that the sheer craftsmanship and technology of the M5 would allow it to run adequately with less than the recommended premium.

I understand that M engines are in a league of their own. At the same time, this reminds me a bit of how when gas prices went over the $4.00 per gallon mark in the United States a year or so ago, several luxury manufacturers including Mercedes and Lexus issued statements to the effect of "the vehicles will work with 87 octane", despite the fact that they are clearly labeled premium only.

Bottom line: your thoroughbred will not die if it eats a hamburger for one day instead of a tenderloin cut steak.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Great vid! Nice job!

I'm guessing if that's your car, the one tank of 87 octane isn't going to be the problem :rolleyes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks on the compliments for the video!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just wrote up an in depth summary of internal engine operation in relation to octane rating but when I hit submit it stated there was a database error so now I'm pissed because I'm not re-writing it! Damn you M5 Board!!! (sorry it's just frustrating)

Your engine will be fine, it will simply retard the timing to prevent knock/detonation/pre-ignition.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Engine will be fine, i have had to do it on my Motorcycle a couple of times when you travel to boundaries where there is no premium to fill.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Totally wicked!! :cheers:

·
Registered
353 Posts
That sounded great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts