BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nmv just relistened to it, sounds like air in vanos, try 5w50. less of a chance of that occuring
I run 5w50 Redline and still get this noise from time to time. It always goes away. But it is very noticeable after the car has been sitting for a couple of days. It doesn’t happen on first start. It happens on the second start. For example.. car has been sitting for 3 days. It starts normal and I drive it 20 min to the store once I get back in and start it the second time I will hear the noise under 3000rpm. This noise will last 1-5 min. I have also heard it on long trip while just maintaining highway speed.

I don’t have my laptop finished to code to the car yet and I am waiting on cable from bimmer geeks. But in the next couple of weeks I am going to do vanos bleed and see if it helps. This noise is the exact noise you get when bleeding the system. I have had the system bled at the shop and have heard it first hand. It matches the videos I posted.

Very similar to the original post. Following this thread closely.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quick update. I ran the Vanos bleed procedure and the sound has stayed. I think the bleed procedure may help a little if the car has been sitting... but the sound will return. The sound always goes away.. and no major fault codes in ISTA.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts