BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the end of summer I have noticed a strange sound in the low revs (only below 3000rpm) and on the stop.
Next day on the same way-road back home did not appear.
The flywheel and clutch have app. 20k miles of drive.
And so far has not repeated, ...but for the past 2 month I didn't drive much (app. 80.miles) and also it's cold outside.
Anyone familiar with this sound?

·
Registered
2006 M5
300 Posts
I'm dealing with the same sound, mainly at idle and at lower rpms. From what I've researched it's the Vanos solenoids acting up. Not throwing any codes and I haven't ran any Vanos test or bled the system yet but from what I gather that's the issue. Discussed at the end of this thread A little vanos solenoid cleaning experiment

·
Registered
669 Posts
That’s exhaust cam gear noise. Any s85 pre 08 will have this noise. Has no effect on performance or longevity. Just annoying. My 06 has exactly the same noise, I have new gears but not ready to install them yet.

·
Registered
2006 M5
300 Posts
That’s exhaust cam gear noise. Any s85 pre 08 will have this noise. Has no effect on performance or longevity. Just annoying. My 06 has exactly the same noise, I have new gears but not ready to install them yet.
Thats a relief and true I don't notice any performance issues. I didn't have this sound before I'm wondering if there's any other way to fix this other than replacing cam gears?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, but cam gears are located on engine. (?) In my case the sound of rattling was coming from the gearbox.
When seating behind the wheel, it even "felt" like it was coming up from gearbox.

·
Registered
669 Posts
It’s a common noise. Considering my car makes the same exact noise and I’m sure there’s 20 other members who could agree. It’s the vanos, try opening the hood next time. If your smg pump made that noise, you will have found the white unicorn.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thats a relief and true I don't notice any performance issues. I didn't have this sound before I'm wondering if there's any other way to fix this other than replacing cam gears?
Nope. The spring in the cam gear was to week to keep cam in position at idle. bmw’s fix was to put a heavier spring in the cam gear. There’s a whole right up on this.

·
Registered
2006 M5
300 Posts
Ok, but cam gears are located on engine. (?) In my case the sound of rattling was coming from the gearbox.
When seating behind the wheel, it even "felt" like it was coming up from gearbox.
Yea, it does sound like it's coming from underneath, almost like a oil cavitation sound.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I laugh as I start my car this morning and it starts to make the noise. Should have kept my mouth shut. . I would open the hood next time it makes noise, just to confirm. After that, if it’s truly coming from the bottom of the car, your going to be pulling the oil pan and going down that rabbit hole. My purpose isn’t to argue, just give you what it might be.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Does the sound change if box is in neutral or in gear with brake depressed?
You might try a VANOS bleed to see if the sound changes. Mine is usually quieter after doing a VANOS bleed...

·
Registered
2006 M5
300 Posts
I laugh as I start my car this morning and it starts to make the noise. Should have kept my mouth shut. . I would open the hood next time it makes noise, just to confirm. After that, if it’s truly coming from the bottom of the car, your going to be pulling the oil pan and going down that rabbit hole. My purpose isn’t to argue, just give you what it might be.
Hey listen, I appreciate your expertise I really do..hell we all do! You been in the game a helluva lot longer that me no question and your opinion means a lot. If you thought I was giving you push back I apologize. Much respect 🙏. I'm going to check again and try to pinpoint the noise, if it's coming from bank 1/2 I know what it is.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Try what Desmo suggested. When engine is running and car is in neutral or in gear (with brake on) the clutch will be open. If the noise changes when you take foot off brake and give a little throttle (the car starts to move - clutch closed) that may point to clutch/releasebearing/pilot bearing.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hey listen, I appreciate your expertise I really do..hell we all do! You been in the game a helluva lot longer that me no question and your opinion means a lot. If you thought I was giving you push back I apologize. Much respect . I'm going to check again and try to pinpoint the noise, if it's coming from bank 1/2 I know what it is.
All is good, for once I hope it is the typical vanos noise. Btw what year is your car?

·
Registered
2006 M5
300 Posts
Its a 06 build date 07/06 with 42k miles. I'm hoping its just the vanos too lol. I got a long list of preventative maintenance to do this winter, not trying to make it longer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My car has literally just started making this noise too when I picked it up from storage, doesn't do it when revving the engine (not in gear) but when you go to pull away it does it - from inside it sounds like its coming from behind the dashboard

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does the sound change if box is in neutral or in gear with brake depressed?
You might try a VANOS bleed to see if the sound changes. Mine is usually quieter after doing a VANOS bleed...
In my case the annoying rattling sound was heard also when driving in low 3000rpm.
Sound came up when we we took off highway and it was mostly present for the next 20 miles on local road, where I drove calmly in higher gear + when I step down from acceleration pedal (and cruising).
When I shifted down and accelerate it disappeared, but came back again in decelerate drive and in higher gear.
I recorded the sound as soon as we arrived on the destination.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I also have this exact noise. At idle and driving under 3000 rpm. I think it is 100% related to the VANOS system.

Please see this thread

Also this is the exact noise you get when you bleed the VANOS system.

This noise seems to always go away and I am hoping a couple of oil changes it may resolve itself. Will be following this thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts