BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Uniden Beartracker BCT-12 is no longer being manufactured because Uniden is reportedly getting out of the low-end scanner business? This makes finding them very difficult because everywhere I called was out of stock.

Anyways, the 'BCT-12S' I ordered from leeselect.com turned out to be a BCT-12. I received the unit in 3 days. If anyone else is interested in getting a new one for $169.99, here's the info:
http://www.leeselect.com/shopping/pricelist.asp?prid=178

However, if you want a refurbished model for $147, you can order one at the Uniden website
http://www.uniden.com/docs/store/itemdetail.cfm?item=BCT12

[This message has been edited by GradX (edited 30 October 2000).]

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by GradX:
The Uniden Beartracker BCT-12 is no longer being manufactured because Uniden is reportedly getting out of the low-end scanner business? This makes finding them very difficult because everywhere I called was out of stock.

Anyways, the 'BCT-12S' I ordered from leeselect.com turned out to be a BCT-12. I received the unit in 3 days. If anyone else is interested in getting a new one for $169.99, here's the info:
http://www.leeselect.com/shopping/pricelist.asp?prid=178

However, if you want a refurbished model for $147, you can order one at the Uniden website
http://www.uniden.com/docs/store/itemdetail.cfm?item=BCT12

[This message has been edited by GradX (edited 30 October 2000).]
How does it work ? Does it pick up GSP and county/city police/sheriffs ? Please advise. I may want one too.

------------------

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually it's pretty damn cool. Not only does it give you alerts of the presence of highway/local police, it allows you to listen in on their conversations.

I was listening to the Highway Patrol and could hear their sirens going off. Then a minute later I switched to the Local Police and I overheard a male and female cop talking about where they were going to meet, somewhere around 285. "I'll be there in 10, I'll be there in 10... over"

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have had one in my 'burb for two years. As a warning device, it has no value in an urban area, and very limited value rurally; most of the time I hear a policeman say he has somebody pulled over at milepost so and so, and sure enough when I pass that point there he is, busy.

As an entertainment device, it has its amusing moments now and then, like when the police are pursuing naked drivers, which seems to happen more than you would think.

Steve

------------------
'00 M5
'99 R1100S
'66 GT350H/Paxton
'85 911

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
You can buy any handheld scanner at Radio Shack and get the book with the frequencies of your local law enforcement. If you listen, you kinda know what's going on but its no sure bet you'll know when one is nearby. The BearTracker was supposed to listen for a frequency emitted by the receiver (on all the time) in the cop car - my guess is that a) it didn't work very well and b) falsed all the time if it was so general as not to need to be told which frequencies to monitor.

The one GOOD use (and I wish I had been doing this) is when aircraft are in use. California Highway Patrol uses a specific frequency for air-to-car communication. If you hear chatter on that frequency, its a safe bet there's a "bear in the air."

·
Registered
844 Posts
Actually it's pretty damn cool. Not only does it give you alerts of the presence of highway/local police, it allows you to listen in on their conversations.

I was listening to the Highway Patrol and could hear their sirens going off. Then a minute later I switched to the Local Police and I overheard a male and female cop talking about where they were going to meet, somewhere around 285. "I'll be there in 10, I'll be there in 10... over"
Can't you set it so it scans the State Patrol and City/County cops at the same time ?

------------------

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure.

It has two main uses and I'm not sure how effective either is yet and I won't know for quite some time.

Uses
1) listen to police. May overhear stuff like police relaying messages regarding vehicles (last night I overheard a pursuit of an E430), Police radioing in their position at certain milemarkers, etc. etc.

2) the alert notification of a highway vehicle within a 3 mile radius (probably the most useful if it actually works). What the scanner does is give you a noticable beep then flash a number corresponding to the strength of the signal (from 1-9 I think).

Function #2 is the most useful while #1 is the most entertaining. All this scanner is, is a preprogrammed unit in a smaller package set mainly to scan local law enforcement radio signals and lock on to one of them and let you hear what is going on when it finds one with an active transmission in progress.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
ATL M5ers-

I think you'll find the BCT-12 particularly (exclusively?) useful on interstate road trips. I found it tremendously helpful when living in Texas, Ohio, and PA. Ohio uses aircraft more than most, and I could hear and identify such traps just by listening on the HP frequency, in the event that the aler did not activate.

I seldom used the local constabulary "PO" function, because the radio traffic was so constant on it. It is quite entertaining, however. Believe me, the 'detector' function does work, as every patrolman you see has a handy-talkie that repeats via their mobile unit on a unique, state-specific frequency(-ies). The alert feature does require there is some radio traffic on the frequency (although not necessarily involving the nearest trooper).

While the original models (or any other hand-held scanner) required punching in the state's specific frequency, you can simply advance the 'state' the the one you're in.

Bottom line: it's more than paid for itself several times over with troopers using aircraft, laser, or instant-on. Hope you see the same benefit!

P.S. While I'm doing the Sunday track days, I'll be stopping by on the 18th to get introduced. Looking forward to it. -Dave

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
GradX - what I don't understand is this - there are literally hundreds of frequencies the local and state enforcement might be operating on. California Highway Patrol alone uses about 20 different freqency PAIRS (cars transmit on one freq; dispatch on another) - each assigned to specific regions. Some law enforcement uses one of the frequencies in the "low VHF" band - 42Mhz; others use "hi-VHF (~150Mhz), still others use UHF-Lo (440Mhz) and others use UHF-Hi (800Mhz). Within each of these bands there are dozens or even hundreds of individual frequencies.

So how can this thing be preprogrammed to the right freqs for your specific situation? Did they ask you when you ordered it and then set it up for you?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Greg:

There is a button on the top of the unit that, when pressed, will show a 2 digit State/Province on the display. Each State/Province has preprogrammed frequencies for local or highway patrol. This scanner constantly scans each one of those frequencies and will lock in on one and start transmitting what it picks up when the signal is strong enough. It will also give a noticable audible tone then display a # corresponding with the strength of that signal when it locates a Highway Patrol within 3 miles.

Now will this work for the CHP? If what you have indicated is true, then you will only hear one-side of the communications between dispatch and the highway patrol if the frequencies were preprogrammed properly. As far as the alert notification goes, that should work if they have the mobile extender on their car.

The frequencies on this unit are preprogrammed and cannot have any added to its scan list. You can, however, choose to ignore frequencies on an individual basis and those will no longer be used for scanning. You can also reset the unit back so that it will once again scan all preprogrammed frequencies.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Greg:

There is a button on the top of the unit that, when pressed, will show a 2 digit State/Province on the display. Each State/Province has preprogrammed frequencies for local or highway patrol. This scanner constantly scans each one of those frequencies and will lock in on one and start transmitting what it picks up when the signal is strong enough. It will also give a noticable audible tone then display a # corresponding with the strength of that signal when it locates a Highway Patrol within 3 miles.

Now will this work for the CHP? If what you have indicated is true, then you will only hear one-side of the communications between dispatch and the highway patrol if the frequencies were preprogrammed properly. As far as the alert notification goes, that should work if they have the mobile extender on their car.

The frequencies on this unit are preprogrammed and cannot have any added to its scan list. You can, however, choose to ignore frequencies on an individual basis and those will no longer be used for scanning. You can also reset the unit back so that it will once again scan all preprogrammed frequencies.
Well I got mine today and think I'll like it. The entertainment value alone is worth the $169.00 cost. Also, for those thinking about upgrading the sound system , just get this and you'll never turn the sound system on. Listening to the cops is much more fun. I see how it could help prevent a ticket too.

------------------

·
Registered
656 Posts
Got mine today too. Refurbished, from the Uniden site.

However, the refurbished ones only have a 90-day warranty (as opposed to 1 year), so you guys might want to consider the place where GradX got his.

I'll post some results for the NY/CT area after I've used it for a bit.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bought a refurbished Uniden BCT12 from the Uniden web site in January for $147.00. I tried it a couple of times and didn't care for it. It works perfectly and there is nothing wrong with it. I just wish to clear it out of my closet, first $75.00 (plus shipping) takes it. Please private me at [email protected] if interested.

·
Banned
160 Posts
this is the best product ever available, i bought one about two years ago, i took it apart and wired the light on my dash to go off, the unit sits in the trunk.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Boys with their toys..............

Hi Guys,
Since you guys are discussing this topic, I'll give you gents a heads up (clue in) regarding scanners and the general public being in possesion of them. As of JAN. 2003, many law enforcement agencies, local, county, state police will be switching from analog frequency radio waves and going to DIGITAL SIGNAL/FOTMAT! Yes, that right, DIGITAL.
There are two main reasons for this,
1. Digital can support so many more channels than analog, thus giving police the needed extra channels, that analog just cannot provide and is almost always over taxed when used.
2. Its a known fact that professional criminals, use the (currently available) scanners to monitor the whereabouts of police, when commiting an offense/crime. This at times gives the criminal an edge over the police to elude the law. Well, now that digital scanners are being introduced and analog scanners are slowly being phased out, the crooks will be sheeet out of luck. LOL........
Many honest people such as citizens who monitor the air waves as a hobby, the press/media and other groups are extremly upset over this decesion, to switch from analog to digital systems. The mentioned groups/people will no longer be able to hear/monitor the police, including the bad guys. LOL....
So guys, enjoy it while you can, soon it will be a memory, because you won't be able to monitor law enforcement's digital frequencies. hiha :hihi:
Robert
Any other specific questions, get in touch. Thanks.
PS This transition will not happen over night due several factors, but it is estimated that within a 3 year period, 70 percent or better will have made the switch within the country.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts