BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi Jed. Are you going to do a GB here or is just for the group at FB? Thx.

Anyone can buy these eggs from me, not just the FB group. I'm selling them for $65 each, shipping within the USA will be $8 using USPS Priority Mail. So for $73 you can have a solid billet front diff bushing that will never ever wear out again.

Just PM me if you want to order.

Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This would make an awesome stocking stuffer folks! :santasmile2:

TL;DR
Buy from Jed and you won't be disappointed.

I wish I had this when I changed my diff bushings. I wish I held out and got the subframe reinforced too, but that's another long story. I went with the purple powerflex bushing for the front diff (easy Bob...) and was disappointed with how it installed. The instructions I had said to put it in backwards for a start.

Sooo....... when is Jedfest????? I need to come and see the Unicorn Shop.

Jedfest? Lol! We should just make a real effort of organizing something during the next Bimmerfest, the Autoclub Speedway is the perfect backdrop. And there's tons of canyons in the area where we can stretch the cars' legs.

You're welcome anytime to visit. But for the next 2 weeks the Unicorn factory has shut down for the holidays.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Jedfest? Lol! We should just make a real effort of organizing something during the next Bimmerfest, the Autoclub Speedway is the perfect backdrop. And there's tons of canyons in the area where we can stretch the cars' legs.

You're welcome anytime to visit. But for the next 2 weeks the Unicorn factory has shut down for the holidays.

I will talk to Tony about that - ECFest south is long overdue :M5launch:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Whats the consensus on what rear bushings to use in conjunction with the solid front mount. Stick with oem or go with some kind of poly alternative.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What magical properties will these bestow upon my car?

The solid bushing on the front diff essentially eliminates any movement of the diff. With the rubber bushing, over time the wear of the rubber increases the movement of the diff, adding stress on the already ill-designed front mount. But since we're just talking about changing the front bushing, there is no NVH added because the 2 rear diff bushings remain rubber. If you don't want to go through the expense and effort of reinforcing the front mount, this is the next best/cheapest thing you can do.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Whats the consensus on what rear bushings to use in conjunction with the solid front mount. Stick with oem or go with some kind of poly alternative.

I'd stick with oem bushings on the rear of the diff. They work plenty good. They do wear out over time.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Hmmmm..... So, if you are under this and the Unicorn Ball... I mean egg is above you, does that mean you got tea bagged?:devil

Looks good brother. Will this be a limited run or regulation production? I need two eggs - though they are not going to be used right away.

Lol! These eggs can double as mistletoe to the right gear head.

These eggs will be a regular production item. I'll make them in batches of 50, so plenty to go around.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Perfect for Easter! What size shop press is needed to press fit this? (in other words, how tight is the tolerance)

Took some pics for reference. This might give you an idea of the tolerance. Don't want to mislead anyone here so I'll be specific. On the left is a "compressed/used front diff bushing", a brand new oem rubber bushing is larger and needs to be compressed before it is slipped into the sleeve. I've tried this in the past and killed 2 brand new oem bushings using a really expensive special tool. After that experience I said F this and I'm going billet. And so that's what I put in my M5 wagon's subframe.

The egg will go in about 1-2mm on the chamfered side of the sleeve without much force. The egg has to be precisely straight to go in. If it goes in at a slight angle, the bushing will start to burrow into soft metal sleeve and get stuck. It's a very precise fit, so it must go in straight. I highly recommend using a press tool to coax it all the way in. I have the tools to R&R all 7 bushings of the rear subframe and can rent it out to the community. The E39 Touring community has been renting my tools for about 2 years now and the procedure I have works perfect, the tools have gone around the country dozens of times with zero issues.

Another experiment I did was I left the egg inside the freezer for 24 hrs to contract the metal a little bit, it's a tight fit but a rubber mallet will do the trick. If pounding soft metal isn't your style (like me), you can put together a home-made tool to press in and out the old and new bushings.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1450807627.581629.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1450807638.448833.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1450807648.342716.jpg

·
Registered
347 Posts
Dinan has a "kit" to reinforce the front diff mount, which amounts to a bushing and a small piece of aluminum. Jed, can you do better than this and perhaps package it with an egg? Figured it was worth asking.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Dinan has a "kit" to reinforce the front diff mount, which amounts to a bushing and a small piece of aluminum. Jed, can you do better than this and perhaps package it with an egg? Figured it was worth asking.

I hadn't thought of that but I certainly can put together a package. I've just been reinforcing all the subframes I can get my hands on and selling that to members in need. Will put it on my TO DO list for January.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts