BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bad luck today, or good luck depending of your point of view. I was in the strip shopping mall turning right into the parking lot, and I hit the dumn curb, one of those with 90 degrees wall. I felt stupid like "WTF are you doing". Next, I got the Tire Failure Warning on my console, I just pinched the tire wall against the wheel and puncture it. So, what to do, like I dummy I started to look for the jack to lift the car. It does not come with one, except the goop to seal the tires. I was able to make back to my home garage, about 2 miles away, called NTB and they had Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. So, I went in and got Michelins ($$$) , even though I only had 1500 miles on the Pirellis Zero Neros. Now, I have new suit of PS2s and will keep, Pirellis (M+S) as winter tires. All, I need to get is new or used wheels. I must tell you it took the guy at NTB about 1 hr to install PS2s. In summary, you need to get road hazard insurance with any of HP tires. It is so easy to get these HP tires destroyed on a simple curb bump at maybe not more than 5-10 miles/hr. So far, I like PS2's, little loose to start with, but I need to break them in. These new tires, just took care of my Kellener mod. I will just have to wait little longer, darn the water hose just does not change my OEM exhaust tone any longer.

Igor

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
With only 1500 miles on your set of tires, I'm surprised you didn't just replace the one tire you curbed...

·
Registered
354 Posts
sigh, I understand how you feel.

Since I got my beast, I've got two, and only two nails in my tires. Both in the rear wheel, and both on the side wall. grrrrrrr

Luckily (well sort of) the second nail came when I needed to get new shoes for the beast all around so not as aggrevated and insurance just doesn't make sense. The cost is about the same as a brand new tire rear tire for the insurance which is about the number of mishaps I get during a set of tire (fingers crossed, knock on wood, whatever works).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I wanted in my post to alert some of new M5 owners, that its is so easy to mess you tires up. Before, in my 330Xi, Acura MDX or Volvo, I did not have to worry about tire damage just from running on top of a curb. It is not so, when we get into this slim tires. The only reason I selected to get a new set, I had to wait 2-3 days to get new Pirelli and I did not like them that much. I was going to get summer tires anyway. My wife asked me the same question, why did you not get just a one tire? Sorry, but I wanted something better that I have right now. The Pirellis are not solid when it gets wet. I will keep Pirellis or sell the if I can, and then get real snow tires for rather mild Maryland winter. Man, I need that new exhaust, OEM is just so timid... Will have to wait until I find somebody willing to sell their Eaiseman or Kellener or Tubi or Dinan or ...

Igor

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
On a related note - I have had THREE punctures over the last month. Fortunately none were in the sidewall - all were repairable. I had to use goop-in-a-can (I had some, save the M-Blow-me kit for an out-in-the-boonies emergency) for one of them to make it to repair - I was impressed with how well it worked on a large hole.

I had one repair done in San Mateo - town of 75,000 population in the middle of the S.F. Bay Area. $40. But I had two repairs done up in Windsor - a population 30,000 town up in the wine country - they charged me only $11, including re--balancing. Unbelievable.

Credit to the Tire Pressure Monitoring system for saving me each time from ruining a tire and having to replace all four as a result. (My tires only have about 25% tread left, but with summer coming I intend to enjoy them!)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
"Unforseen forced change of tires" Man... that EXACTLY describes my day yesterday.

I drove the M6 (an e24 guys, don't get all excited!) down to Buttonwillow Racetrack for some track time. After the first session, I was re-torquing my wheels when I heard a hissing sound... "That's weird," I thought, "the engine is hissing as it cools? Strange." then it hits me, "That ain't a cooling off noise, that's a LEAKING noise!" I quickly found the leak.

I must have hit some random piece of trash in the paddock. A rivet, a screw, whatever. It had gone all the way through the center of the tread on a tire I had purchased 4 days ago! The only mileage the tires had were 200 miles on the drive down, and one 30 minute session on track!

Lucky for me there was a tire shop there at the track, but all they carry were Toyos, and I was running Yokohama A032R tires. They won't patch a tire and let you back out on the racetrack with it, and mixing tires is "A bad thing." So...

My "Unforseen forced change of tires":

I had to buy a new set of Yoko RA1 tires, which fortunately they had in my size. They had a new set on the car within an hour, and I was ready to go
back out just as my next session was starting. Whew!

Lucky for me, one of the guys I work with had trailered his Acura Race Car down there, and he loaded up my original tires and took them back north.

Overall a good day. Buttonwillow is fun, if mostly flat track. :wroom:

On an extra good note, I met the driver of the only e39 M5 there that day, and told him about this board. Hopefully we'll have a new member soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts