BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the owners/instruction manual for my BILSTEIN kit that is 1 day away from install. It says that the front 8x18" OEM wheels will not clear the front axle unless there is a 5mm spacer present there. Is this true & why have I not read this anywhere here or around the internet before ?? I'm not new to the M5 world & I thought that I did all of my homework on this... :(

Please provide any insight/feedback that you can. THANK YOU.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have PSS9's on my E39, and use the OEM wheels as my track wheels, and I have no issues with fitment at all. My street wheels are DPE ST7's, about 9" wide at the front (not sure of the offset), running 255 tyres and they also fit without any problems. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I was reading the owners/instruction manual for my BILSTEIN kit that is 1 day away from install. It says that the front 8x18" OEM wheels will not clear the front axle unless there is a 5mm spacer present there. Is this true & why have I not read this anywhere here or around the internet before ?? I'm not new to the M5 world & I thought that I did all of my homework on this... :(

Please provide any insight/feedback that you can. THANK YOU.
Kevin,

What is the part number on your bilstein, do you have a screenshot.
On my PSS9 it doesn't mentioned about the use of OEM 18x8 wheel or 5mm spacer on the front.

I was running stock setup on PSS9 for a while before I got 19" BBS LM.

Take a look at this diagram:

With OEM 18x8 ET20
(B) 121.60mm (A) 81.60mm

With BBS-LM 19x8.5 ET17
(B) 124.95mm (A) 90.95mm

As you can see LM requires about 3.5mm inner clearance than OEM 18x8, and I actually still have some clearance with 19x8.5 LM.
See this http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...101948-pss-finally-installed.html#post1111627 and you will see on how much clearance I got

You should be fine running OEM 18 without anyspacer, unless for some reason Bilstein change the collar nut to have different shape and outer-diameter.
So post up a picture of the kit and you can compare it with my old post as I had a lot of picture of the PSS9 fully assembled.

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I appreciate the help & all of you taking the time to reply to me guys.

Here is the issue I ran into late last night. I will attach a picture (below) to show the BILSTEIN label on the box shows a part # of: F4-GM5-A455-H1

However, the Autopartswarehouse.com (the place that I bought it from) shows a part # of: GM5-A455-H0
Tuner Motorsports shows a part # of GM5-A455-H1
Tire-Rack shows a part # of F4-GM5-A455-H0
Bavarian-Autosport (Bav-Auto) shows a part # of GM5-A455

And the LAST BUT NOT LEAST, the (most recent & current) Bilstein Website for North America shows a part# of: F4-GM5-A455-H3 right now. :dunno: This is why I'm kinda confused. I guess what I can take from all this, is that my Bilstein PSS-9 kit is one that has been on the shelf for a few years. Maybe it was considered relatively "old stock" even though it is brand new & factory fresh since it was still pritsine/new & untouched it its box. Maybe the part # with the H3 on the end is the latest version of these kits & these represent the ones that were just made/manufactured the latest. Again, please offer me some feedback & your thought/opinions on this.

THANK YOU...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I appreciate the help & all of you taking the time to reply to me guys.

Here is the issue I ran into late last night. I will attach a picture (below) to show the BILSTEIN label on the box shows a part # of: F4-GM5-A455-H1

However, the Autopartswarehouse.com (the place that I bought it from) shows a part # of: GM5-A455-H0
Tuner Motorsports shows a part # of GM5-A455-H1
Tire-Rack shows a part # of F4-GM5-A455-H0
Bavarian-Autosport (Bav-Auto) shows a part # of GM5-A455

And the LAST BUT NOT LEAST, the (most recent & current) Bilstein Website for North America shows a part# of: F4-GM5-A455-H3 right now. :dunno: This is why I'm kinda confused. I guess what I can take from all this, is that my Bilstein PSS-9 kit is one that has been on the shelf for a few years. Maybe it was considered relatively "old stock" even though it is brand new & factory fresh since it was still pritsine/new & untouched it its box. Maybe the part # with the H3 on the end is the latest version of these kits & these represent the ones that were just made/manufactured the latest. Again, please offer me some feedback & your thought/opinions on this.

THANK YOU...

Kev,

From what I've been told before that last 2 code i.e. H0, H1 is the revision of the same product number.
On the E46 M3 PSS9 application Bilstein made revision from H0-H1 (about 3-4 years ago) and the difference was in the valving.
The physical dimension and everything else is identical.

So looks like you should be fine.

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kev,

From what I've been told before that last 2 code i.e. H0, H1 is the revision of the same product number.
On the E46 M3 PSS9 application Bilstein made revision from H0-H1 (about 3-4 years ago) and the difference was in the valving.
The physical dimension and everything else is identical.

So looks like you should be fine.

Regardz,

J Irwan
Thank you for your feedback man. It's alway nice to talk to someone who has the same system/kit on their M5. I guess I should stop worrying tonight & just get some rest. Tomorrow will be a long day with this install... :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Kevin-

As others have already mentioned, you will be fine. Install, enjoy, and post feedback. :)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will make sure to post some feedback after the kit has been installed. After my M5 is sitting on these top notch Bilstein dampers, I want to drive over almost every bad road in the near by area. I love the way this "god like" chassis soaks up bumps & crappy road irregularities with ease. I have a good feeling that this new suspension system will shine over almost every mile my beast will encounter. I will take it over some smooth pavement as well & test it's limits (within reason of course) on some near by roads that are in great condition too. I can't wait to stab my first corner/bend in this machine when it's done... ! :flag:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts