BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having oil temperature creep up uncomfortably past normal operating temperature. So far, I've replaced an oil cooler, oiler cooler hoses, radiator, thermostat, and the oil filter housing thermostat. Any ideas where to look next? Maybe just a bad temperature sensor? and if it's a sensor where would it be?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Have you done a compression test (or even better a leak down test)?

Given you've replaced so many of the oil system components it is probably worth checking that you don't have cylinder leakage before you buy more parts.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
what are the symptoms exactly when does it creep how much, ect

the sensor is on the bottom of the pan it also does the oil level measurement.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've been having oil temperature creep up uncomfortably past normal operating temperature. So far, I've replaced an oil cooler, oiler cooler hoses, radiator, thermostat, and the oil filter housing thermostat. Any ideas where to look next? Maybe just a bad temperature sensor? and if it's a sensor where would it be?
What's "uncomfortably past normal" to you? Also how hot out is it when this happens?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, here's another clue related to weather... when I had initially realized I had the problem and had some cold weather, the oil temperature would not get up to temperature. It would probably hang around 175 degrees. During moderate to hot weather, it could get to probably 240 degrees. I never once received any messages about oil temperature, though.

I can't really confirm this one, but it does seem that temperature will increase with the actual speed of the car (not the engine speed). all of these made me think that the problem was thermostat related (either the water thermostat or the oil thermostat).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what are the symptoms exactly when does it creep how much, ect

the sensor is on the bottom of the pan it also does the oil level measurement.
So, you're saying the oil level sensor and oil temperature sensor are integrated into the same part?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's "uncomfortably past normal"? The oil temp usually at around 225-240 in warm climate / when sitting in traffic.
The temperature has gotten to 240-250 at highway speed around 2500-3000 rpm and ambient temperature of ~80 degrees.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My '08's oil temp stays around 210 during normal driving, even when it's 90+ outside and I have the AC on. It might go out 10-20 degrees if I drive it more spiritedly than usual, but it drops back when I soft-pedal it.

In my experience with NA cars, oil temp usually stays very close to coolant temp under "normal" driving conditions. As mentioned previously, maybe your coolant temp is high and that's what's causing your high oil temp.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would think that if the coolant temperature were high, then I would probably be notified in the dash, right? And if the coolant temperature were high, I would have really no idea why... I've replaced the thermostat and the radiator.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I would think that if the coolant temperature were high, then I would probably be notified in the dash, right? And if the coolant temperature were high, I would have really no idea why... I've replaced the thermostat and the radiator.

That is correct. Do you have under drive pulleys and how long does your fan keep running after you turn off the engine?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Summary here for those too lazy to click through. Most of us should be doing this in our sleep by now - especially the 07 KTMP setting.

1. Press and hold the mileage reset button until you see 01 FNSTR.... something or other.
2. Release the button then press it over and over until you get to 19.
3. When the Count number set to 00 appears at the bottom of the little display under the '19' stuff, press the mileage button over and over until the number = the SUM OF THE LAST 5 (FIVE) digits of your VIN. This doesn't change ever, so memorize it.
4. When the display resets to the '01' item, press the mileage button until it shows '07', then wait. The KRMP will show up on the lower line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts