BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the car up on my lift and for those that haven't seen the underside of your beast, I thought these might be interesting to you. It's quite a piece of engineering!

Now then, on to my question:

Referencing the first picture below, for those of you that have made changes to your exhaust I need some help. Some of you have replaced the resonators with straight pipe. Question is, which ones are the resonators? I'm assuming the first thing that the exhaust flows through up by the manifolds is the catalytic converters. Then it goes into what I've marked as "B" in the picture which I think are the resonators, then flows through what I've marked as "A" in the picture which looks to me like the factory version of an "X-Pipe" to provide equalization to the system before finally going on to the mufflers at the rear of the car.

Am I right or not? I remember someone on the board saying that they replaced their resonators with straight pipe and it made it just SLIGHTLY louder (which is what I want).

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car

Auto part Engine Metal
Exhaust manifold Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Pipe
Automotive exhaust Auto part Exhaust manifold Exhaust system Muffler
Product Metal Pipe

Bottom 4 pics are in order from front to back. As you can see, the engine is completely covered with air vents in strategic places. All the rest of the bottom is flat as well, except where the exhaust is. Very aerodynamic and VERY cool! :cool2:

· Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, if you replace "A" then what is "B"?

If you replace "A" then it should be replaced by an X-pipe. I thought I read somewhere on the board that someone replaced what I'm calling "B" with just straight pipe and left "A" in place. :confused:

· Registered
411 Posts
Indy_M5 said:
Ok, if you replace "A" then what is "B"?

If you replace "A" then it should be replaced by an X-pipe. I thought I read somewhere on the board that someone replaced what I'm calling "B" with just straight pipe and left "A" in place. :confused:
Man, if resonator is there, it is there FOR A REASON, thats for sure :lightbulb:

Again, if you want a louder exaust, consider sports cats.

· Registered
3,900 Posts
Indy_M5 said:
So for all you guys that got an X-Pipe it replaces "A" right?

Did it change the sound dramatically, or just slightly? I don't want it real loud...
The "X-Pipe" is actually an "H-Pipe" located just before the resonator (A). Make sure you keep this intact if you replace the resonator, because this is a 'tuned' link between the pipes. The resonator does not have any communication between the pipes, there are two separate tubes inside the resonator housing. It acts as a pre-muffler that quiets the exhaust slightly.

The difference is very slight, but noticable, and I really like it. I don't want an aftermarket exhaust that wakes up the neighbors, just a louder sound at full throttle. The combination of removing the charcoal filters and replacing the resonator with straight pipes makes a great sound IMO. Definitely louder than stock at full throttle, but almost as quiet otherwise.

Here is a link to sound files of the stock exhaust vs straight pipes.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65352&highlight=stock+exhaust

I haven't made a soundfile with the filters removed. The sound is definitely louder at the mid rpm level at F.T. with the filters removed.

· Registered
70 Posts

· Registered
4,834 Posts
Guys -- this post was almost 2 years old when is was resurrected today. I doubt the OP is reading the responses.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.