BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner hit to many parking curbs and the protection panel does not align with screws I circled in red. Does anyone have pictures of how the front protection panel is supposed to fit? The center under panel seems to be off too and will not align with screws near jack point.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
chances are the bracket that holds the panel up is bended, number 2 in the picture. there are two aluminum bracket for those 13mm nuts. when it bended the whole panel won't alignment right. The bracket itself is not too expensive. If I remember correctly right side costed me less than 30 and left side less than 70. but you have look under M6 for it, no show on the M5 parts.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Also there is a flexible strip that goes up under and around the sides the oil cooler. The corners can get bent and it starts to deform if it's not installed correctly. I usually have to run my hand up there to get the flexible piece in the correct area as I'm lifting the whole belly pan. When I first got the car I had had to use a heat gun to soften the corners as it was deformed from someone installing it incorrectly. It will flex back easily with heat. It takes several times putting it on to learn. At first mine was a PITA, but now it's easy. Once that part around the oil cooler is fitted correctly, the pan lifts up into the 4 bolts showing more threads. Spinning on those 4 bolts allow it to hang and then I get the small screws installed around the edges. Then I tighten the (4) 13mm nuts last. As mentioned those flimsy brackets bend easily for alignment.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
chances are the bracket that holds the panel up is bended, number 2 in the picture. there are two aluminum bracket for those 13mm nuts. when it bended the whole panel won't alignment right. The bracket itself is not too expensive. If I remember correctly right side costed me less than 30 and left side less than 70. but you have look under M6 for it, no show on the M5 parts.
Thanks for this info, I have been looking for this bracket for a while. So it's part # 14 in this diagram and it fits the M5?

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also there is a flexible strip that goes up under and around the sides the oil cooler. The corners can get bent and it starts to deform if it's not installed correctly. I usually have to run my hand up there to get the flexible piece in the correct area as I'm lifting the whole belly pan. When I first got the car I had had to use a heat gun to soften the corners as it was deformed from someone installing it incorrectly. It will flex back easily with heat. It takes several times putting it on to learn. At first mine was a PITA, but now it's easy. Once that part around the oil cooler is fitted correctly, the pan lifts up into the 4 bolts showing more threads. Spinning on those 4 bolts allow it to hang and then I get the small screws installed around the edges. Then I tighten the (4) 13mm nuts last. As mentioned those flimsy brackets bend easily for alignment.
That flexible part you're speaking of looks like bat ears right? mine is all distorted and requires some muscle to go into that oil cooler area. I'm going to change my oil tomorrow and will try to bend those brackets to fit again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for this info, I have been looking for this bracket for a while. So it's part # 14 in this diagram and it fits the M5?
yes that's the one. left and right don't look the same. but your parts guy should be able to get it.
on the part that goes around the opening for the oil cooler, i just remove the push pin and pull down the strip when installing the panel, easier to go back in, and adjust the fit after and reinstall the push pins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts