BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Anyone that’s ever topped off their tank or filled up a jerry can knows gasoline comes in different grades, from regular unleaded to pricey premium. Each “flavor” has a number that corresponds to its octane level, but what does this mean? What is octane and what role does it play? AutoGuide reached out to experts in the fuels field for answers.
See the complete story on octane ratings at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I could guess but I'm going to let the expert answer that.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
All I know is the higher the number means it will not pre-ignite under compression before the plug fires the mixture. Higher the compression the more octane you need. I know this does not answer your question, but I would like to know to! I could guess but I'm going to let the expert answer that. Good question!!
He's not really asking. It's a rhetorical question. He posted the answer (a link) on that post.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
That still did not answer what is octane. It just answered what the R-M/2 on the gas pump is. Does anyone know what the difference is in the fuel it self.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
That still did not answer what is octane. It just answered what the R-M/2 on the gas pump is. Does anyone know what the difference is in the fuel it self.
Are you asking what actually contributes to higher octane, i.e., the substance/additive/component/chemical that is responsible?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Are you asking what actually contributes to higher octane, i.e., the substance/additive/component/chemical that is responsible?
Yes, exactly!
what does it take to make it higher octane?
Do the octane additives work on lower octane fuel or does this only work in the refinement process.

Does higher octane make more power as a fuel it self?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts