BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yesterday started off with problems that only got worse. My morning routine is to stop at Starbucks ( addicted ) and put up three coffees in the morning on the way to work. ( Not just for me) anyway, as many of you know BMW isn't big on cupholders in performance cars, as Starbucks double lids the coffees for me and they go into a multi cup holder thing. I have the titatium cupholder that fits into the useless cubbie in the center console. Best Mod I have made to the vehicle IMO. So two coffees remain in the multi cup holder and I place it on the floor of the passenger side. I have been doing this for a year almost now without an issue. Yesterday with it being ML King day and the roads were pretty clear, so I am cruising down the annex and there aren't any other cars on the road. Of course there is this idoit that for some unknown reason can't wait for me to pass and blows the stop sign right in front of me. I, of course, hit the brakes and watch the two coffees on the floorboard go flying. I pull over and pick the coffees up and back into their holder. the lids stayed on both and only one spilt any of it's contents. Thankfully the black coffee not the one with milk and sugar. So I get to work and remove the floormat, rinsed the coffee out and set it off to dry.
Not to bad so far, So my daughter has a college interview in Philly at 10:30, she had met me at work and we program the nav system for the drive, and off we go to Philadelphia. We are still on the GSP when the Nav system and radio stop working, they just stopped. The on board computer system screen comes up but nothing will scroll, I push the off button on radio and computer, the radio comes back, the computer is still frozen. I pull into a rest stop to turn off the car in hopes it will reset, but I buy a road atlas just in case. Of, course it stayed working for the rest of the trip but would freeze for a moment or two and made some really weird commands.
But the worse thing that happened was on the trip home. BMW has a really good heating system once the car is nicely warmed up. Sometimes too good, I was getting way over heated so I closed the heat. My daughter on the other hand was cold, so she put on the heated seat. Both of us had used them on the way up without problems. On the trip home, that wasn't the case. We were about 30 miles from home when her seat started smoking bad. Smoke was coming from under the front of the seat and from the back as well. She starts screaming ( can't really blame her for that one ). I quickly turn off the heating element and she jumps into the back seat while I am cruising at 75mph on the turnpike. The smoke stopped and I opened windows to clear the passenger compartment. There isn't really anyplace to pull over on the turnpike. I got off at the next exit and pulled over. Made sure there wasn't anything still burning, reassured my daughter everything was fine, then got back on the road home. I am going to bring the car into the shop today to see if I can find out what went wrong yesterday, if I ever get a lift free. And I hope I don't have a day like that again.

Ladykats

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Wow, bummer. Let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Holy crap!!! Never heard of a heated seat doing that on any car, much less a BMW!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wow, what a day. Be thankful everyone is ok w/ the potential fire hazard. These things happen in threes :confused:

·
Registered
446 Posts
wow, sorry to hear that. I have often sat in my car wondering what I'd do if that started happening. Makes me more paranoid to know that it has happened so recently.

Good luck with all of it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, they are saying snow tonight, so my M will be staying in the shop tonight anyway, so if I don't get the chance today, there is always tomorrow morning. Business comes first and personal stuff gets put on the back burner. I am off to the car auction and should be back around 2, so hopefully things will have setted a bit here for me to bring her in. Isn't it always the case.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Holy crap!!! Never heard of a heated seat doing that on any car, much less a BMW!!
Happened in my 540i. Driving along on a warm day and I noticed I was a bit hotter than usual. Then suddenly smoke began to fill the cabin. My girlfriend pretty much screamed 'FIRE!! PULL OVER". Putrid smell! I turned the car off with my butt getting red hot. No flames, just a lot of smoke. Had to yank the fuse controlling the seat heating elements to keep things cool...:hihi:

Dave

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Sounds like you have some electrical problems... pretty obvious I know.

Let us know how things turn out. Many years ago, my wifes car started on fire after I had it on a battery charger because the battery kept on draining probably due to a short. The power driver's seat was where the fire started and those fire fighters and their dry humor asked me if I ate some chilly the night before. Luckily it was just a piece of crap Buick Century and we just wrote it off lol.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I would like to offer a heartfelt congratulations to my buddies at the M5 forum for not making a single reference to hot asses. I'm proud of you! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I would like to offer a heartfelt congratulations to my buddies at the M5 forum for not making a single reference to hot asses. I'm proud of you! :cheers:
hiha

Ladykats - they say things happen in threes. One of those days when you're just pleased to get home alive and go to bed.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I can't find a thing, and there isn't a wiring diagram for the seats at all through Shopkey5, so I contacted Snap-on and they will fax me over the diagrams I need later today. They have to retreive tham from BMW first, So am at a stand still for now.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
thats sucks

ive had my fair share of dealing with car problems

interest, i work for Shopkey5, actually Mitchell1 / SnapOn :)

so your using our products ;)

let me know if i can attempt to help find you the diagram ... ill walk upstairs to editorial and see if they can get you something

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got off the phone with them a few moments ago, they are checking for them now. If they don't fax over by tonight I will PM you for sure. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts