BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i need some advice. im competing in ultimate rally next year and am 99% on using an m5. what i need to know is....

1. what is the best way to go about removing the 155mph limiter??
2. what is the best way to raise the power a bit, whilst maintaining complete reliability??
3. does anyone know of a company that can install a quality second fuel tank in the boot, as large as possible??

many thanks for any advice,:haha: :haha: :haha:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi,

1. superchip, or dinan stage 1 will remove limiter. They wont do much to power unless you do some other mods (CAI, exhaust, headers etc.)

2. headers should give about 20-30 RWHP if used with a superchip. Things like CAI may give an extra 3 or so, and can also aid air flow over the front brakes (wich may be useful for you!)

3. no :)

4. GET A ROLL CAGE FITTED, WITH HARNESSES.
4b. Get a bigger break kit, you may need some high speed stops.

5. Id lose the stock exhaust, get a lighter one.
6. Id lose as much weight as possible, if you dont need the rear seats, dont take them .
7. I'm not sure on the whole support team issues and the like, but I'd take a whole spare wheel (or 2) with me in car, you dont want to risk the emergency repair kit, and you dont want to wait for support. PRACTICE jacking and changing wheels BEFORE the race, so if you do blow, youll only lose 10 mins max.
8. stuff like a rear diffuser etc. may help stability at speeds - youd be best off doing some practice runs at similar speeds to get the stability down.
9. Um, If it were me, id take some spare MAF's with me too - they are tiny, and could cause problems.
10. Im sure there are more, ill add as I think of some. Do talk with poletizeiM5 (spelling?), he gumballs his (amongst other rallies) and will have many tips I am sure.

Good luck :D
stay safe though!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I would keep the stock airboxes. They are better than anything aftermarket. Put some headers on, powerchip, and some brakes. I took my M5 on gumball and it was great. Problem is.... this Ultimate Rally is a HIGH stakes race. Good luck. Maybe if you have time. Send that car to Nowack or Discovery automotive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers, ive just done the gumball in an evo fq300, the only reason im not using that is the fuel consumption, (i think an m5 would be a bit better) and the evo topped out at 171mph, whereas id imagine an m5 to be around 180-185mph

does anyone know the standard tank capacity of a 2000-2001 m5 and the mpg when its flat out??? i want to lose weight from the car, im keeping the rear seats and a full spare wheel, any other advice is very welcomed...:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
289 Posts
rossjohnsonrm said:
cheers, ive just done the gumball in an evo fq300, the only reason im not using that is the fuel consumption, (i think an m5 would be a bit better) and the evo topped out at 171mph, whereas id imagine an m5 to be around 180-185mph

does anyone know the standard tank capacity of a 2000-2001 m5 and the mpg when its flat out??? i want to lose weight from the car, im keeping the rear seats and a full spare wheel, any other advice is very welcomed...:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
What about lightweight rims?
I'm sure you'll find someone on this board who knows which the lightest rims for the M5 are :)

Congratulations on your participation by the way ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts