BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Guys I know this gentleman and have done so for a number of years. He has had evry single M5 from the very start e28 right through to the e39. I asked him why he wasn't keeping the plate and his response was that the M5 was ALWAYS a manual. He drove the new one and does not like the SMG quite simple. He says he will not by another one until there is a manual version.

He is now buying a Porsche 996 GT2

There is some food for thought from a die hard M5 fanatic.

Anyone else with the same view?

I havn't driven the new M5 yet but have driven the M3 and M3 CSL and I must admit I like it.

There you go..............

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Wait a minute, 40,000 pounds for a license plate??? And we thought people were out of their minds to pay $40,000 for a preferred spot in line. If this isn't a joke, this is just about the most ridiculous "sale" I have ever seen.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i Dont know if it was just an urban legend but dindt the 888888 license plate go for over a million in Hong Kong?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Feb 22, 2005

A mysterious man in a mask has driven off with the most expensive vehicle license plate sold in Hong Kong since 1997, shelling out $911,000 at a weekend auction. The man, who wore a surgical mask and would not identify himself, left the auction immediately after winning the bid for a license plate number 12. The most expensive license plate, number 9, was sold to a Hong Kong tycoon in 1994 for 1.6 million

·
Registered
213 Posts
MRichmond said:
Wait a minute, 40,000 pounds for a license plate??? And we thought people were out of their minds to pay $40,000 for a preferred spot in line. If this isn't a joke, this is just about the most ridiculous "sale" I have ever seen.
mmm I saw that too. I think paying that much for a Number Plate is a bit stupid. In any case, I prefer to have standard plates. Firstly, can't be ID'd by punks (as they sometimes have a habit of doing) and there's a fair few 5 series around these days, so I want my car to blend in a bit better. Having a huge M5 BMW is like having a plate which says STEALME or KEYME.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
In London I saw a Rolls with reg nr RR1 in the early 1990s. The plate was more expensive than the car (the drive told me)...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Gustav said:
In London I saw a Rolls with reg nr RR1 in the early 1990s. The plate was more expensive than the car (the drive told me)...
Silly if you ask me - I'd prefer to spend the money on another car/house/plane. I've seen a few Learjets I like...

Besides which, I think if you own a Rolls Royce, everyone who sees it will know it is one...

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Zenith said:
mmm I saw that too. I think paying that much for a Number Plate is a bit stupid. In any case, I prefer to have standard plates. Firstly, can't be ID'd by punks (as they sometimes have a habit of doing) and there's a fair few 5 series around these days, so I want my car to blend in a bit better. Having a huge M5 BMW is like having a plate which says STEALME or KEYME.
Right. Similarly, Mustang and Camaro owners seem to be fond of the "2FAST4U" plates, which I am sure help them get out of many a ticket.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Zenith said:
Having a huge M5 BMW is like having a plate which says STEALME or KEYME.
LOL. Agreed. Or you may add TICKETME to that list. Either from the standpoint of the officer who has pulled you over, or the overly conscientious cellphone-toting motorist that you just rocketed past at 200+kph!

Speaking of the ____ME line of plates, I wonder if you can get 3M TA3 any more, given (at least in the States) the pre-screened, non-objectionable list of naughty plates is ever-growing. [If it doesn't make sense to you, think about reading it from your rear view mirror....]

-Dave

·
Registered
213 Posts
Teutonaddict said:
LOL. Agreed. Or you may add TICKETME to that list. Either from the standpoint of the officer who has pulled you over, or the overly conscientious cellphone-toting motorist that you just rocketed past at 200+kph!

Speaking of the ____ME line of plates, I wonder if you can get 3M TA3 any more, given (at least in the States) the pre-screened, non-objectionable list of naughty plates is ever-growing. [If it doesn't make sense to you, think about reading it from your rear view mirror....]

-Dave
Here on the sunny Gold Coast, in Australia (which might be equated to Venice Beach, California) we get all sorts of cars with bogus no. plates. "8008S" among others, such as "BOOYA", etc. A few of the backwards ones too... though police tend to crack down on them.

As I've already said though, people remember a personalised number plate much more easily then a standard one. Which is why I'd probably go for a standard one... Don't want to draw attention, particularly from the cops.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Far better idea to spend £40k on that plate than $40k on a production spot - the plate will at least always have some residual value, whereas the production spot is just flushing cash down the toilet.

I've gone for a simple plate on my car - "B5", followed by my wife's 3 initials.

·
Registered
714 Posts
FYI, in HK sometimes a good plate depreciates less than the car itself.

as for something like "M5 BMW", perhaps it is special in the UK.
in NA, if it is not already taken, it does not cost much to get this sort of plate.

a few dealers like these plates (LS 430, RX330, etc etc etc)

however, i cannot keep myself laughing everytime i see plates like "MY BMW" or these educational plates to the public.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Another shameless plug :confused3

If anyone wants a cheaper M5 BMW plate, I have MM55 BMW for sale at the moment. It is on at over £2,300 at one of the reg dealers, but will accept offers over £1,800.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Funny - My E39 plate has actually gotten some laughs from California's Finest during occasional traffic-light-chatting ("Must be awful cold with those windows down - maybe if you put 'em up it warm up nice and real fast with all that TINTING on your windows... anyway, nice car.") [only rear and rear-side windows are allowed to be tinted in California, but that didn't stop me]. My plate:

BWUH BYE

Moving soon to my E60...

Tom

P.S. My Dodge SRT-10's plate is "PET VIPR"

·
Registered
537 Posts
I guess if you already have sevreal cars, houses, planes. you gotta find a way to spend it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts