BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I want to buy some oil to have at home in the garage and can't find my manual anyone know what brand/type of oil is recommended.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
m5-black said:
Hi,

I want to buy some oil to have at home in the garage and can't find my manual anyone know what brand/type of oil is recommended.
Is there any information under the hood of the car? There may be a sticker there.

'Rocket

·
Registered
122 Posts
m5-black said:
Hi,

Castrol SAE 10w-60, suits most ambient temperatures, but if extremely cold, talk to dealer. BTW, you should find your manual, you may find it handy:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
369 Posts
and it is VERY IMPORTANT that you use the castrol TWS 10w60 oil

there is a huge difference between castrol rs 10w-60 and castrol tws 10w-60!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone if this info is accurate
IS Formula RS really the same as Castrol TWS - ?

BMW has changed their engine-oil recommendation for all M cars equipped with the new S54 engine (E46 M3 coupe and convertible, 2001-on M coupe and M roadster) from the previous BMW High Performance Synthetic 5W-30 engine oil (made by Castrol), pn 07 51 0 017 866 (1 quart), to Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 Synthetic Engine Oil (previously known as Castrol Formula RS 10W-60. . . the oil is the same, only the name has changed) pn 07 51 0 009 420 (1 liter)

IS Formula RS really they same as Castrol TWS - ?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Castrol here confirmed to me that RS is different to TWS

There also was a PDF on the net showing the difference in specs

ONLY TWS is approved for the M5

1 - 10 of 10 Posts