BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spoke to the dealer today, the car will be returned to me on Friday... Looking at all of the Intalagos questions I have forgot what the colour looks like!!!

The dealer informed me that once you have a tracker fitted the car is of no use to any car thief, as the tracker devise is hard wired into the car. Even if the B*stards had they found the device and de-activated it, the car would be imobalised and then it would need to be re-coded by a bmw dealer.

Must now put a Tracker sticker on the car....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hehe £1000 tracker is only really usefull if the £0.01 sticker is in the window:p

But its good news about the integration with the car of the tracker system, I'm really glad that you are getting everything back to normal with your car.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you but Tracker is complete ****e. Half the time the tracker equipped police cars are off the road and the system itself is the worst of the bunch.

MattUK had his M3 stolen (and never recovered) with Tracker Horizon fitted and I know of a number of others.

Much better to go with something decent like RAC Trackstar+

http://www.ractrackstar.com/

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ashok Arora said:
Sorry to disappoint you but Tracker is complete ****e. Half the time the tracker equipped police cars are off the road and the system itself is the worst of the bunch.

MattUK had his M3 stolen (and never recovered) with Tracker Horizon fitted and I know of a number of others.

Much better to go with something decent like RAC Trackstar+

http://www.ractrackstar.com/
I had my E36 stolen and recovered and and E60 so I cannot complain, but from what I have heard from other's RAC is better. I was just saying that even if the car is stolen they cannot use it, unless there are doddgy BMW dealers out there....

I am goung to have other devices installed when I get the car back, so that even if they get the keys they do not get the car...

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
There have been a number of problems with 'keyguard' systems that require the driver to carry a electronic card to activate the ignition and these are being phased out AFAIK.

·
Registered
829 Posts
UKMFreak said:
Just spoke to the dealer today, the car will be returned to me on Friday... Looking at all of the Intalagos questions I have forgot what the colour looks like!!!

The dealer informed me that once you have a tracker fitted the car is of no use to any car thief, as the tracker devise is hard wired into the car. Even if the B*stards had they found the device and de-activated it, the car would be imobalised and then it would need to be re-coded by a bmw dealer.

Must now put a Tracker sticker on the car....
Never say never. If a profesional thief wants to take your car, he will. If he wants to amke your car untraceable, he will. I'm sure thiefs are working hard rightnow on cracking the immobelizer system.

The problem is that the BMW tracker system and other systems aswell, work on known systems (GSM and GPS) the frequencies of these systems are known. So it's very easy to disrupt (or jam as they use in movies) these signals, be it with a device which emits a very strong field or just park the car in a metal container. When they do this, RAC Trackstar nor BMW can do anything.

I'm sure that when a profesional thief marks your car as a target there's nothing you can do about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts