BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
A Fiat Coupe you say... :)

And agree with trying them on, like I say, I'm no biker or anything, but the important thing for a helmet is the fit, and if you've never bought or used one before, it's a good idea to have someone make sure it's the right size.

Really wish I was going to this now :(

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Yes, before my M5, sprint blue 20vt. Cracking car, loved it.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Sod it, I'm booked up. What better way to get the motor ready than lining up a financial penalty for failure.
Hadn't realised what you said, I've done exactly the same thing... :)

(Not for this Evo day, but for the PetrolHeadNirvana thing)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well this has come round quickly - who else is going then?

And what's the general consensus on track day insurance? I'm thinking sod it

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was looking forward to sliding around in the wet!

Do you know if there's anywhere that i can dump all the stuff from my boot, as i'll be carrying a fair bit of clobber?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I looked at the BBC website which says it will be dry.

Yes, there is a pit garage that everyone uses to place loose items from their cars i.e. oil, coats, tools, wheels, sandwiches etc.

It's a great atmosphere and I doubt anything would be stolen

·
Registered
524 Posts
aftermath

Well that was a great afternoon. Nice to meet you Matt and thanks for the suggestion.

Apart from a brief blat around the 'ring, this was my first dab at the track and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. As Matt said, it's a good atmosphere without too many track day heroes, and plenty of run off space so risk of damage was minimal. There was one clown who was all over the shop but thankfully he never came anywhere near me.

The instruction was excellent and well worth it. I had a major off into the field with the instructor onboard which shat me up a little, but he assured me i needed to get a few of those under my belt.

My B8 & intrax set up was excellent, and my car felt far less wallowy that the other 2 M5's looked. The super sports on the front took a bit of a hammering but held up well, and the vreds on the back were pretty good too.

I was pleased to get a "no drifting" flag (Matt, I checked the video; that was definitely aimed at me hiha) for some slightly tail happy cornering.

The turnout of evo cars wasn't amazing, I think there was a v10 R8, an F type and a porsche.

Only got a few pics.

The only action shots I got were of Matt. I couldn't get very close because i got a lecture from the marshall about being too close to the armco. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more off the MSV website once they've been uploaded

Which were in the same place as this M3 CSL came off two weeks ago
But thankfully no such mishaps this time.

Great afternoon.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
What an amazing evening. Nice to see another M5 or two and to put faces to usernames.

I think the 'no drifting' warning was aimed at both of us...but mostly me ;). I was having a great time chasing your tail although I seemed to be staring at your doors for most of the corners. It's great to know the performance of both cars is evenly matched. They're either both knackered or both in good shape. I think the latter. Even the instructor thought we were quick.

My friends in their underpowered GT86 (aka Prius without batteries) won the EVO prize and got the watch!
My ride round in the R8 was unforgettable. The talent of the magazine writers is astonishing.

I would do a lot more of these if I could justify the expense.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
I wish I'd got a passenger lap in the R8 too; the one thing i missed out on.

Congrats to your friends - I thought that GT86 was pretty slow. I did figure I wouldn't be missing out if i left before the prize giving!

Our cars are in good shape, I'm pretty sure of it. Mine matches, if not exceeds, Gervase's and his only has 60k on the clock

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I just watched the you tube clip of the M3. Poor man. That's bad luck. I can see how easy it is to lose the back end on that bend and end up where he was. Very unfortunate. I hope he had insurance.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts