BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've booked to go on this through Evo Magazine. They normally turn up with some exotica on the day. I had a ride in the orange MP4-12C last time.

It's a great introduction to track days without any competition or macho arrogance. Drive as hard or gently as you like. One of the best tracks to learn on without risk to the beast. No barriers at all.

£125

It would be great to meet up with some other board members

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, it's a great track for those of us who are frightened to damage their car. No kitty litter or things to hit. I had a major spin last time I was there. Went off the track at 80mph and all I did was spin into the soft grass. The car was full of freshly mown grass that came in through the sunroof but nothing a vacuum couldn't cure :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can hire a helmet on the day for £10. They aren't too scummy.

Speactators are more than welcome. I think they have to pay £10.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It's my birthday this day, so a great present from the wife, but work won't authorise my annual leave at the moment!!

Do these events usually get booked up fast

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really couldn't say. The last one I went on was fully booked. The draw of meeting the EVO journalists and their latest offerings of featured cars does add another dimension to an already enjoyable day. They were happy to give people rides around the track in the cars. That McLaren really did fly.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
If you're worried about the helmet rental, get a liner thing online. Looks like a fireproof balaclava, but only costs a few quid. I got one for when I go karting.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Or just get a helmet mate - pick one up for a hundred quid; your head won't grow so im sure it will get some use :) It sounds like a good idea and i'm just down the road in cambridge. hmm.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I've been meaning to get down to these Evo evenings for a while, sounds like a fun thing. Once my cars ready, I'll be down ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone is supposed to arrive by 3pm. People loiter around and grab a cuppa, chat to each other about their cars and register. 4pm is normally when the briefing starts. It then goes on until dusk. They are really laid back about the end time. The atmosphere is always great and the marshalls are laid back but also strict when necessary.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just signed up!

Hopefully Nick Trott with still have his M6 GC by then; would love a fast lap in one of those.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap(ish) but decent helmet?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
My completely uneducated suggestion would be any with a certification. If it's just for the odd trackday, I wouldn't go too mad. Mine is the ex-wife's helmet that she used when she had scooter for a short while. But the visor is free of scratches (not that I would use it in a closed car) and it's a good secure fit.

Just try some, how far are you from Demon Tweeks, don't they have a place in London somewhere? I'm guessing they could advise on something safe and reasonably priced.

Edit - they don't have a place in London, but good mail order. If I was buying now, I'd go for an open face, maybe a Bell Mag 1 open face. Less claustrophobic, but a closed face could be used if you ever go karting or such -like.

OMP Star is very reasonable £50, no cert on it but aimed the occasional trackday user. Might snap one of those up myself :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts