BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the usual rust appearing around the boot lock and release handle above the number plate. I had it repaired nearly 2 years ago and looked great for a year or so but is coming back again.

Can anyone recommend a bodyshop (preferrably West Midlands/Wales) that would be able to cut the bad metal out and fix it more permanently. The place I used last time did a great job on the paint finish but I don't think they are able to do a better job on cutting the rust out and putting new metal in.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi,

I am of the opinion once rust takes hold you will never get rid of it. It will keep returning. As you suggest, cutting it out will solve the problem, but to be honest it will be cheaper and easier to buy a new boot lid . Buy a genuine BMW one. Comes with all the protective coatings ( that you will never replicate ) and once you have had it painted to match you can fill it with wax oil and it should last longer than the original one.

I know all about rust, & if you are wondering how I know look here.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/335993-respray-fix-part-exchange-4.html

Regards,

Nat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts