BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! I have participated in many classic and club 'runs' in the UK. These are usually one day long although a few of the classic 'runs' lasted 2 days. These were on UK roads, virtually no motorway, lots of A and B roads, LOTS of speeding and LOTS of fun in appropriate places, NO arrests or convictions.

There are litterally hundreds of these type of events happening in the UK throughout the year without any trouble at all - why not do a 'day-run' with Gumball style cars? By keeping off the motorway you have less chance of the Police interfering and , most importantly, it makes for a much more challenging drive! This would also be inexpensive.

One of the previous club runs I went on coincided with a 'run what you brung' day at Santa Pod dragstrip - what an awesome day! Pure adrenaline rush!!!

Do any of you agree?

:2:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Classic car runs are much more likely to go unnoticed. Yes you may be able to drive at the cars limit and big speeds. But in "Gumball cars" the limits and big speeds are way higher. It would also be hard not to draw attention to a gathering of Lambo's, Ferrari's and Porshce's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andy-UK said:
Classic car runs are much more likely to go unnoticed. Yes you may be able to drive at the cars limit and big speeds. But in "Gumball cars" the limits and big speeds are way higher. It would also be hard not to draw attention to a gathering of Lambo's, Ferrari's and Porshce's.
Sorry but that just isn't true. I agree that you certainly won't be able to do 200+ mph on these runs, but you will experience an amazing, challenging drive. Lets be honest fast Motorway driving involves very little skill. Believe me I have seen the above cars accelerate REAL hard along 'national speed limit' dual carrigeways and lanes - awesome! I think you will find the limits of the car are reached at much lower speeds in these conditions - therefore just as much fun as a 'high speed gumball style motorway run' without pissing off the Police or the public. Everyone wins!

The last run I went on that went to Santa Pod was made up of exotic machinery, i.e. 2 x Lambo Diablos, 4 x Ferraris, 3 x Porsche 928's, 6 x Porsche 911s, 2 x Porsche 944 turbos, a handful of highly modified Jap Import cars, 5 x highly modified Sierra Cosworths, 1 x M5, 1x M6, 1 x M3 (all brothers!), 1x 850 CSi, 1 x Audi RS2, 1 x Jaguar XKR, 1 x Jaguar XJR, 1 x Aston Martin V8 Vantage LeMans (600bhp model) and finally 1 x Volvo 850R!

This all came about when a few enthusiasts and owners clubs got together after meeting at a show in Kent (Bromley Pagent of Motoring). Loosley organised it went without a hitch and even managed to pick up a few other cars along the way!

Also, I can assure you a gathering of Cobra's, Jaguar E-Types, D-Types, Muscle cars, classic Rally cars, Old Astons etc etc, draws as much attention from the public as a gathering of Gumball cars if only for the incredibly loud noise!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy-UK said:
But thats the whole idea of the Gumball. Get everyone chasing you and out run them. :hihi:
Can't argue with that! It certainly makes for good film and TV...

However for the majority of people in the real world the Gumball will always be financially out of reach, even if you can afford to own a Porsche, Ferrari etc. For these people this type of run is their 'gumball'... and what FUN it is! :2:

·
Registered
344 Posts
jazzyslick2002 said:
Hi everyone! I have participated in many classic and club 'runs' in the UK. These are usually one day long although a few of the classic 'runs' lasted 2 days. These were on UK roads, virtually no motorway, lots of A and B roads, LOTS of speeding and LOTS of fun in appropriate places, NO arrests or convictions.

There are litterally hundreds of these type of events happening in the UK throughout the year without any trouble at all - why not do a 'day-run' with Gumball style cars? By keeping off the motorway you have less chance of the Police interfering and , most importantly, it makes for a much more challenging drive! This would also be inexpensive.

One of the previous club runs I went on coincided with a 'run what you brung' day at Santa Pod dragstrip - what an awesome day! Pure adrenaline rush!!!

Do any of you agree?

:2:
Yes, it could be fun, why don't you organise it and post the details here. We'll all come along for some dual carriageway action. (We can have a mini Gumball just getting to the selected secret one).

ant.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ant397 said:
Yes, it could be fun, why don't you organise it and post the details here. We'll all come along for some dual carriageway action. (We can have a mini Gumball just getting to the selected secret one).

ant.
Due to the success of the hill climb, I've Been thinking of organising a couple of runs next year. One in the UK and another one in europe. Both of them over a weekend.
(ie Friday eve to Sunday eve)

How many of you guys would be up for it? :wroom:

Steve

·
Banned
267 Posts
I would steve, the hillclimb event was one of the best organised events i have attended, quite extroadinary really considering it was the first year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SteveH said:
Due to the success of the hill climb, I've Been thinking of organising a couple of runs next year. One in the UK and another one in europe. Both of them over a weekend.

Steve
Cool man! Sounds excellent! :2:

B

·
0 Posts
SteveH said:

Steve
Sounds like fun!

Cheers, Daniel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts