BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone from the UK has had rod bearing failure? or thinking about changing them.
Keep reading about issues, but most seem to be from the US.. kinda getting me worried..

Mine is on 67k and has just had new vanos pump, line, solenoids etc and oil pump (under warranty). As they were taking the sump off asked them for a quote to change the rod bearings, but they kept telling me that they are not aware of any issues with this model and they didn't need changing..
Next time i phoned and asked if they had sorted the quote, they told me the car was back together and the technician said that he'd checked and they didn't need changing... This was a UK BMW dealer here in Essex by the way..

Any UK guys already had this done, or thinking about it? If you have.. how much and where?
Also any thoughts from outside the UK about this premature failure being climate related?

Thanks guys, first post.. lurking for a while...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not aware of this issue must be kidding lol. Everybody knows of this issue. Realy a shame if they didn't quote for you as bearings where accessible with the oil pump removed. I honestly dought that the tech checked them

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, kinda new the service guy was fobbing me off, I told him about all the cases id read online and he reckoned the engines have different specs etc from country to country and that bmw uk were not aware of any issues with the m5 in the. uk, but only about the problems with the m3 bearings..
Am kinda gutted they didn't change them, as they had already done all the work to get to them.....
Ive got bmw mondial warranty and didn't mine paying as a preventive measure... they also managed to put two dents in my inner wings from the engine brace.. which i only notice at the weekend.. will be giving them a call...

What mileage was yours at? Did you do your own... was switched on with cars 10+ years ago.. build alot of cosworth based cars then, but the work seems daunting now!!

Cheers for your reply.. Dan

·
Registered
311 Posts
Did the entire rebuild alone with advise from members on this bord :)

Was a wonderfull experience.
I'm 24years old and I am proud to say that I rebuild the entire engine myself. Needed some special tools that I got on ebay.

Mine had 145 000
Accordding to previous owner car went into limp mode and Started knocking at idle. The damage was done.

I don't regret buying the car
I am just waiting for the engine fan that failed the other Day.

I'm sure they didn't change them so that if you have the issue they can bill the hole thing again.

Dealers just see the £££ when you go in with such a car

·
Registered
311 Posts
Did all rod bearings
One rod as bearing had sprung
Timing chains. Chain guides and tensioners
Main gaskets
The entire engine is new exept the 2 cylinder heads and the vanos pump
Oil pump is new aswell
Put on a new clutch aswell.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
- Raikku is a member here (VantaaM5) from Finland who has rebuilt many S85, S65, and S62 engines. Many accounts of failure and wear from him.
- Stefan is a member here (Duschanio) from Germany, similar experience.
- GJS here is from the UK and reports similar experience.

I'm sure there are many more outside the US, but those are the first three that pop into my head.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should be proud... do you work on cars for a living?
I do keep thinking about selling mine, but for what....
Was that 145000 km?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally took it to Fairfields, but they tried to charge me £1000 for four new solenoids saying it wasn't covered under warranty..
But all the work was carried out at Coopers, chelmsford.. who I normally go to... generally ok, but useless communication, never call you back..
Markie, ive read your posts before, may even have seen you.. not sure how many interlagos M5's this way, seen one fly by benfleet way..
Seen a few black and silverstones in essex...
What your thoughts about the rod bearings?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You really should change them. It's the nr 1 cause these engines fail. Mine was changed last year, car was at around 120K km. They wouldn't have lasted much longer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Raikku is now based at Evolve HQ in Luton, UK ;) raikku at evolveautomotive.com

- Raikku is a member here (VantaaM5) from Finland who has rebuilt many S85, S65, and S62 engines. Many accounts of failure and wear from him.
- Stefan is a member here (Duschanio) from Germany, similar experience.
- GJS here is from the UK and reports similar experience.

I'm sure there are many more outside the US, but those are the first three that pop into my head.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You really should change them. It's the nr 1 cause these engines fail. Mine was changed last year, car was at around 120K km. They wouldn't have lasted much longer.

Thanks guys, was always going to change them, now just trying to decide my best option.. as I have BMW warranty i've since been in touch with Mondial and they have issues with an independent changing the bearings. If any surrounding engine parts fail after the work has been done, they wont honour the warranty, only if it's done by an official BMW dealer. This makes me even more annoyed that my dealer ignored my original requests.

Im in the process of emailing the service manager at the dealer, with my concerns and will contact BMW UK to see what they have to say about the whole engine failure issue.. they must know about it! But probably wont do anything as the are making money on all the new short engines they're supplying..

Will keep the thread updated, may help some someone out in the future..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Subscribed.....

UK owners aren't represented as well on here and you guys sound like you're very close to me. I live less than a mile from the Fairfield dealership (who are shocking by the way!) and would be interested to know if BMW Uk are willing to do anything about rod bearings, etc under warranty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UK owners aren't represented as well on here

That was the main reason for posting... read alot in the last year about the problems, but no one had mentioned a failure in the UK..
I know there is talk about the oil thickness contributing and long service intervals leading to the premature wear, but nothing conclusive..
Hence the idea about climate.. maybe affecting wear, due to oil thickness.. warmer or colder startups etc..

I had a oil analysis done on my first oil change when i bought the car, as it had been serviced according to Bmw schedules, and everything was ok, low metals etc. apart from the viscosity was low.. this, probably due to bmw's long service intervals..

as for my last encounter with fairfield bmw, after five non returned calls, decided a visit was in order and a chat to the service manager (behind closed doors).. got a full refund!

anyway nice to here from local owners, wont mention the essex boys and fast cars! Southend seafront is not what it use to be!

As i said will keep this thread alive for the reference of the uk m5 owners a least...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Originally took it to Fairfields, but they tried to charge me £1000 for four new solenoids saying it wasn't covered under warranty..
But all the work was carried out at Coopers, chelmsford.. who I normally go to... generally ok, but useless communication, never call you back..
Markie, ive read your posts before, may even have seen you.. not sure how many interlagos M5's this way, seen one fly by benfleet way..
Seen a few black and silverstones in essex...
What your thoughts about the rod bearings?
Could well be me, you should have heard me coming, 108db at the last sound test hiha

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks guys, was always going to change them, now just trying to decide my best option.. as I have BMW warranty i've since been in touch with Mondial and they have issues with an independent changing the bearings. If any surrounding engine parts fail after the work has been done, they wont honour the warranty, only if it's done by an official BMW dealer. This makes me even more annoyed that my dealer ignored my original requests.

Im in the process of emailing the service manager at the dealer, with my concerns and will contact BMW UK to see what they have to say about the whole engine failure issue.. they must know about it! But probably wont do anything as the are making money on all the new short engines they're supplying..

Will keep the thread updated, may help some someone out in the future..
So my thoughts are because we both have the BMW warranty is in place it really doesn't matter if the engine blows up, BMW will fix it. For me when the car gets close to 100k I'll probably chop it in and get the F10 anyway.

Just out of interest how much do you pay for your warranty?

I had one chat with the idiots are fairfield and decided I didnt like them, now a very happy customer of BMW Sytner Chigwell - It took a long time to find a decent dealership and even these guys f**k up sometimes (undertray put back together the wrong way around!).

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'll take recommendations on a decent local dealer because i had so many problems with Fairfield in Feb that i'm not likely to go back (found scratches, car was kept for 3 days not 1, drained the oil without having enough to top it back up, broke 3 coils when replacing the spark plugs and tried to charge me for them, oil level not max after service, the list goes on)

I'm also warrantied and if i ever get to 100k i will most likely chop her to, i don't fancy the ownership experience without the warranty however have never had to take her in for anything more than a dodgy battery!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts