BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
This is a first time post,so apologies to all if there are any mistakes or broken rules!
Thought you could comment and advise on my latest experience in a long saga of trying to buy an M5.
1.August 2003,paid £500 deposit,told number 3 in queue,
2.Kept informed of progress my salesman,
3.April 2005 called for update;after many delays told salesman had left,but I was number 10 in queue with delivery end 2006;tried to complain,but told there was no new car sales manager!
4.Last week someone called and said they needed a £3,000 refundable deposit to confirm order;I asked about delivery and was told they did not know until they knew how many people paid the £3,000,
5.I asked them to put this in writing,and am still waiting for a reply
Are BMW trying to weed out the speculators?
Are BMW trying to annoy all their real customers?
Answers on a postcard

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Unfortunately BMW leave all this to the dealer so each dealer handles pre-orders or deposits and the way the wait list is administered in a different way. Asking £3K as a deposit 18 months ahead of expected delivery and with know exact date is in my view ludicrous.

Would want to know how come you have moved from number 3 on the list to number 10 and would not pay more than £1K as a deposit before it goes to final production

·
Registered
271 Posts
Agree with you there JohnH. Definitely maximum £1000 deposit prior to production, or at the very worst, until status goes 1100 (i.e. three or so months prior to production).

Loosing your spot in the queue sounds very bizarre. As you ordered in August 2003, that means there should be nine people with orders before this date - I should ask the dealership for confirmation of this (examples to back this up) and if you are not satisfied, speak to BMW GB. Bit odd too that they don't have a new car sales manager??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
virage1 said:
Agree with you there JohnH. Definitely maximum £1000 deposit prior to production, or at the very worst, until status goes 1100 (i.e. three or so months prior to production).

Loosing your spot in the queue sounds very bizarre. As you ordered in August 2003, that means there should be nine people with orders before this date - I should ask the dealership for confirmation of this (examples to back this up) and if you are not satisfied, speak to BMW GB. Bit odd too that they don't have a new car sales manager??
Old one had left and not yet been replaced

·
Registered
271 Posts
andrew99 said:
Old one had left and not yet been replaced
OK - however still would expect somebody to be in a position to answer your query...if no sales manager or director then the MD should be able to address the issue.

·
Registered
675 Posts
a freind of mine ordered his 7 months ago,gets delivery in October,told the salesman he wasn't giving him a deposit,salesman said fine.
But i would go mental with the dealer about being moved from 3rd to tenth,really go for them,complain to the manager,irrespective of new manager or not ,they should keep adequate records.

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
I agree completely with this. You should do everything you can to get that number 3 spot back. It could mean a difference of thousands in residual value when you come to sell, depending on how long you keep the car!

I ordered an M5 and an M6 about two years ago, still haven't paid any deposit and expect to have my M5 in early July with the M6 following a few months later. I have an execellent relationship with my dealer, but I would expect any dealer with whom I placed an order to honour it.

I had a similar problem with my local Porsche dealer on my 911 (997) Turbo order. A new general manager took over the dealership and said he had no record of my order (I had been number 2 on the list for the last 4 years!), but I have managed to sort it out now as I am friends with the girl who manages the order list. Unfortunately, like so many other things in life, it is often a case of who you know...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Filthy Monkey said:
I had a similar problem with my local Porsche dealer on my 911 (997) Turbo order. A new general manager took over the dealership and said he had no record of my order (I had been number 2 on the list for the last 4 years!), but I have managed to sort it out now as I am friends with the girl who manages the order list. Unfortunately, like so many other things in life, it is often a case of who you know...
Similar problem placed an (in writing) order for a 997 GT3, the general manager changed and not sure where I stand in scheme of things now ? :sad1:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome aboard Andrew - there's no such thing as a stupid question around here.

It's sad to hear another tale of customer mismanagement by UK dealers but sadly, since BMW delegate the ordering to the dealer level, the ball is very much in the hands of the dealer. I doubt threatening them will get you very far, but a serious word with BMW-GB in Bracknell might get things moving.

JohnH is very familiar with the Audi (Quattro GMBH) ordering system and this seems to work a lot better as there is a centralised (GB) customer list so you know exactly where you stand.

Hopefully, BMW-GB will implement something similar in future.

Do keep us posted with your progress - good luck! :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts