BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all (echo, echo),

First question: I was looking at the build specs of some UK E28 M5s recently, and it became apparent that "780 heck spoiler" started to appear on the build sheet of some later cars.

My car (#21) doesn't have it listed on the build spec, but wears a spoiler. The UK brochure shows cars without spoilers. Has someone added it to my car, or was it not a factory option that early in the run?

Next question: OEM exhaust tips. Now NLA, so buying new isn't an option, however were they all chrome from the factory? Did shadow line cars have black tips?

Last question for now: Gear lever / gaiters - did the M5 always have the all-in-one lever/gaiter? Again, it's hard to tell from the brochure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Lots of echos since this post!

As far as I know, all GB cars had 780 rear spoiler.

The first brochure (silver cover) uses reversed images of German-market cars but retouched with GB plates. The first E28 M5 Press car had no spoiler and my guess is that this was an option in mainland Europe and added by BMW GB as part of standard GB spec. The BBS cross-spoke wheels also only appear some way into the build sheet sequence but as far as I know only 001 came on metric wheels. It is possible however that the first 3 were on metrics originally but 004 was definitely cross-spokes.

Exhaust tips - a quick check on realOEM shows that chrome tips are shown for a satin black chrome car (116). This is not conclusive of course.

Gear lever gaiter - I suspect but cannot confirm that all M5's came with the all-in-one knob and gaiter. I once had an early M535i which had the leather gaiter but the knob was quite definitely separate, unlike my M5.

Do you still have 021?

Regards

Mfiver

1 - 2 of 2 Posts