BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see number 35 of 50 is for sale on Autotrader, with more info available at http://www.aulc31.dsl.pipex.com

Does anyone know where I could get a reasonably priced and safe car storage facility for the next 5 years? If so, I might buy it and park it in the UK until 2010.

Unfortunately, unless I come over and live in the UK for 12 months, our restrictive import laws forbid me importing a car until it is 15 years old!

Kind regards

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Well if you pay for it, I will run it for 5 years for you and let you have it for free after that time!

·
Registered
261 Posts
This is Terry's(?) aka 'FinalEdition' car, which has been on ebay a couple of times too. It looks fantastic (seen in the flesh last year) and I hope he gets what he wants for it. The problem for him as Phil says is the price of an early e39...

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
It is a free world but also about time to start to accept that a 'well maintained' and perhaps even 'special' E34 M5/Mtouring will soon (already)
cost -more- than the average E39 M5 -
the E34/M5touring is already or will soon be a 'rarity', whereas the market
will be flooded with E39 M5s now that the E60 M5 will be released -
there were over 24.000 E39 M5s made and there are only 50 UK M5LE-cars
AND with the wheel fitted to the correct side for UK-motoring :M5thumbs: :typing:

phil.cavanagh said:
Very nice motor....

but if I had 20,000 Euro to spend, pop over to Germany, and you can pick up an 99/00 registered E39 M5 with 50,000 miles for this money....

Mobile.de

Yes, I know the steering wheel is on the wrong side, but come on....!

·
Registered
21 Posts
M5touring reg said:
It is a free world but also about time to start to accept that a 'well maintained' and perhaps even 'special' E34 M5/Mtouring will soon (already)
AND with the wheel fitted to the correct side for UK-motoring :M5thumbs: :typing:
Hear hear. It is absolutely the same situation with the 993 v's 996 Porsche. Although in the case of the BMW, we have the difference between a hand crafted machine v's production line product.

·
Registered
92 Posts
M5touring reg said:
Ok, possibly..., but personally I think you're deluding yourself into thinking that a 10-15 year old previous generation car is somehow going to be worth more that the later ones.

Yes, there will be extreme cases, but in general I think not.

As for an E34 M5 Touring being more expensive than an E39 M5, I'm sorry but, utter c**p...

E34 M5 Touring for £5,500

E34 M5 Touring for £7,500

Now if you want to buy a Touring from a UK dealer for £15,000 then that's up to you, but don't take that price level as a guide to what it is actually worth....

LE Cars...., very nice, very exclusive, but at the end of the day, it's just a chassis number & a paint job (no offence to any LE owners, I’d love one). If you want rarity, then look at something like a B10 bi-turbo - even then these make less that your 'cheap as chips' E39.

Rarity isn't necessarily a good thing - means that ever dealer/parts supplier/servicer can bend you over and not even kiss you first before they f**k you on the price, because they _know_ you just can't pop down to Haldfords for your spares. Also, just look at the ammount of aftermarket products for the E39 as opposed to our E34's....

OK, I'm ranting now... but you get my point ? ouich

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
[email protected] no problem, this is just an exchange of views, 'time will show' -
speaking about the -M5touring-
UK-price-level shows a more correct value of these cars, it also that the
UK-cars are generally in very good condition and well maintained -
buying a M5touring from -mobile.de- for 'rock bottom' prices you will normally
get what you pay for 'a rock bottom car' and bringing it back into shape will
often end up with a higher bill than paying the 'right' price from the start -
as we are right at the start of an on-going process, 'let's wait and see'
-
as for comparizing the E34 M5 with the E39 M5 pls read the 'input'
from 'Simonal' under a seperate thread I believe it is called
E34 M5 vv E39M5 -
-
brgds
Karl
:byebye:

·
Registered
92 Posts
M5touring reg said:
[email protected] no problem, this is just an exchange of views, 'time will show' -
speaking about the -M5touring-
UK-price-level shows a more correct value of these cars, it also that the
UK-cars are generally in very good condition and well maintained -
buying a M5touring from -mobile.de- for 'rock bottom' prices you will normally
get what you pay for 'a rock bottom car' and bringing it back into shape will
often end up with a higher bill than paying the 'right' price from the start -
as we are right at the start of an on-going process, 'let's wait and see'
-
as for comparizing the E34 M5 with the E39 M5 pls read the 'input'
from 'Simonal' under a seperate thread I believe it is called
E34 M5 vv E39M5 -
-
brgds
Karl
:byebye:
Hi Karl,

Firstly let me say that I do agree with all your points so some extent.

There is a _massive_ variation in the price and quality of all M5 versions on the market, especially across Europe and with the E34. I'm a real advocate of the 'rock bottom' end of the market, since I bought my 1990 E34 M5 almost 2 years ago now for £1,800 and apart from a gearbox rebuild @£600 it's never let me down - and _everything_ works as BMW intended.

The car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it... low milage examples still (and always will) demand top price, but once the OD gets towards 200,000 prices start to fall very quickly. 237,000+ on my car means it's worth more in bits if I wanted to sell it. On the other hand, a car with <50K on the clock could cost you £1,000's to maintain each year.

Personally, I'm happy with what I've got, and could not even consider spending another £10,000 on the price of my car to get the same thing 3-4 years newer with fewer miles. I would however, shell out £12,500 on a 2000 E39 M5.

As for the E34 v E39 debate, I agree with what 'Simonal' has to say, but I still fancy an E39 as my next purchase. (2 years time when prices drop below £8K for a LHD) :1:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Hi Karl thanks. I was begining to think nobody had read that post.

I agree with you about the residuals on the E34 vs E39. Yes there are cars priced very high in the UK and there are very cheap cars in central Europe on Mobile and other sales board,but please bear in mind that we are now talking about a car that has reached the end of its depreciation and in some cases is over 15 years old , even the yongest one is around 10 years old, my own cars "birthday registration day" is due soon. But these cars are still fetching some money anything from £3000 for a non-condition mobile car and up to £15000 for a fully maintained stealer sold car in the UK.

The oldest E39 M5 is 7 years old and already the prices are dropping faster than an E34. Now this is a fantastic car and I am a dear fan of this model too but in 3 years time when the oldest car reachs 10 years old (introed in 1998) are we going to see the same thing that happened to these or are we going to see the collapse of the market like the E36 M3.

Just another point but how hard is it to get a good E30 M3 anymore? I think very as those are really holding there prices and in some cases they are rising in price especially the rare models (Convertible 786made, Evo3 600 made etc...) Also another question when did you last see a good E28 M5 .........The last one I saw was priced at around £8000..........

Regards

Simon

·
Registered
646 Posts
Here's my tuppence worth..

I recently bought a 1994 six-speeder, full history and only 63,000 miles, paid £10,500 for it - my first taste of the 'classic car' scenario. Seems a lot for a ten year old motor but i like it due to its handbuilt rarity and the fact only 139 i think it was were made in RHD. I can't see it losing an awful lot in the next year or two, i've got an E60 M5 on order and will lose what i paid for this thing in the first year with that one alone (you only live once...). I considered a E39 but even the earliest 98/99 ones seemed to be around £17k minimum, and this would have been for a higher mileage one with just as many owners - plus the E39 are so 'common', i believe there are only a couple of E34s local to me, whereas there are a dozen or more of the E39 i like that - so for me the E34 made a better buy.

No matter what the case you get a hell of a car for the money!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
phil.cavanagh said:
Just for fun....

E28 M5

Fancy a project anyone....:D
-
good try ! ?????? but wrong car, this is -only- a M535 or even an 535i
but definately not a M5 -
congratulations by the way on your 'low budget'-purchase and running well,
it really all depends on the previous owners and the problem is that from many of the present owners of an E34 M5 I wud not even consider to be buying a 'Volkswagen'.But not to worry very soon this clientel will move forward and take care of the low-priced E39 m5 instead - one aspect being that the f.ex. 3.8-6-gear E34 M5 is already or will be a 'rarity' whereas there will more E39 M5s for sale than the market is ready swallow. Time will show.
So, Phil, your chances are pretty good to get your 'money back' for the E34 M5 and at the same time E39 M5-prices are likely tol reach your budget-level faster than expected - :blabla:
have a nice weekend, guys ! :cheers:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Does anybody know where this vehicle is ?

Thinking back a good year or so, I think that I test drove this particular car.

Kidderminster area ?

hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

sorry - confusing myself and others too - if i don't add this. It was number 49 that I drove back in time - anybody know of it's where abouts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts