BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Got a M5 UK brochure today in the post. I’ve emailed my dealership requesting another one so I can cut it up to scan for the US members, I only have a sheet fed scanner at home

Some nice pictures but most of them have been posted. One thing I noticed and thought was strange was under the engine specs they put :-

Max torque/speed Mm/lb-ft/rpm 520/383/6100
Torque of 450 Nm reached at 3500rpm

I guess they are trying to belay the fears of a torqueless low rev range. But if someone has the info for the E39’s torque at that rpm it would be interesting to see how far apart they are.

Also they quote the unrestricted top speed, don’t think this has been done before on a restricted only car. The M3 CSL had it but also had the option to de-restrict

The 200mph speedo looks nice although a bit strange as almost 1/3 of the speed range is unavailable due to restrictor. It’s a big step from the just over 1/6 unavailable on the E39 and E46 M’s.

If no one else has scanned and the dealer says they have another one for me I will scan it as soon as I get the email from the dealer.

Sacha…

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
HomerUK said:
The 200mph speedo looks nice although a bit strange as almost 1/3 of the speed range is unavailable due to restrictor. It’s a big step from the just over 1/6 unavailable on the E39 and E46 M’s.
Early computer-display instrumentation looked pretty bad in cars, but display technology has advanced sufficiently that I think we're ready for a more successful go at it. Among other things it would allow for you to modify the top of the range (maybe tied to the current M-drive mode) as I imagine that a five MPH speed change is far less salient on a 200 MPH speedometer than on the radar gun of the local constabulary.

Tom

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The speedo is laid out very well. The top is only 80mph so 40% of the speed is displayed in the first half with 60% squeezed into the second half.

IMO this is great as the legal limits for me are nicely spaced. Also the HUD displays speed in non M mode but I'm not sure of the refresh rate for it.

I always liked the Porsche digital display within the normal speedo. Gives an easier reading at speed.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I looked at the Flemish Version of the brochure posted and see that Indianpolis Red is not available as an external paint colour. That can't be right can it ? Can you please check the UK brochure that the Red is offered.

Shame as I was considering that instead of interlagos blue.

If not then I believe that BMW GB is holding that colour back for the M6.
Thanks,

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Indianpolis Red is available. I've gone for this colour with Black leather, I was going for it reversed but the red leather is only in full and I didn't want that. I was thinking abotu red door inserts in the future to brake it up if its too dark.

I've been away for a few days and not had chance to scan it yet, I hpoe to do it Sunday. I will just scan the words and info as the images as the same as Ashoks scan.

Sacha...

·
Registered
94 Posts
HomerUK said:
Hi all

Got a M5 UK brochure today in the post. I’ve emailed my dealership requesting another one so I can cut it up to scan for the US members, I only have a sheet fed scanner at home

Some nice pictures but most of them have been posted. One thing I noticed and thought was strange was under the engine specs they put :-

Max torque/speed Mm/lb-ft/rpm 520/383/6100
Torque of 450 Nm reached at 3500rpm

I guess they are trying to belay the fears of a torqueless low rev range. But if someone has the info for the E39’s torque at that rpm it would be interesting to see how far apart they are.

Also they quote the unrestricted top speed, don’t think this has been done before on a restricted only car. The M3 CSL had it but also had the option to de-restrict

If no one else has scanned and the dealer says they have another one for me I will scan it as soon as I get the email from the dealer.

Sacha…
The e39 M5 produces 492Nm at 3,500rpm. This is per a torque chart out of a Dinan catalog.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
greg_h said:
The e39 M5 produces 492Nm at 3,500rpm. This is per a torque chart out of a Dinan catalog.
Thanks for that :)

Guess it was hitting its big flat torque line about then. So the E60 is only about 10% behind at this point, not too bad for a revvy engine IMO.

I also read today in the Car review, CSL55 and 911S one, that it will pull from 45mph in 7th so I guess the low end torque will be a similar feeling to the E39, as the gearing is lower on the E60.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This car is fully loaded with standard options. I had to pay extra just to have parktronic sensors on my Merc.

Man I am looking forward to this car, the technology is just outstanding and
head over heals of any competitor. Roll on May.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Wow, that car is alot standard on. I cant see HUD standard though but I can see active headlights for exampl,e. Nice factual brochure.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
May cant come soon enough! :)

all the best
adam

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still out and about at the mo so still no chance to scan yet:)

Vndkshn
There is an issue with the rear side air bags and child seats, but I think the isofix ones are tested with the rear air bags. Best to check with BMW directly on this one.

Gustav
HUD is standard on UK cars

Amfung
Twin tone horns are quite normal and louder. Its not like the air horn addon's that play tunes.

Ghufran
I finalised my spec again today, changed to red/black colour combo, and I have everything I want in the car for under 65000 UKP. The only option I might need to add is the Digitol TV tuner, looking at putting in a reversing camera and not sure if I need the TV tuner for that. When you compare this to the expected 68000 UKP base for the CLS55 it's a hell of a bargain IMO.

·
Registered
180 Posts
HomerUK said:
Still out and about at the mo so still no chance to scan yet:)

Vndkshn
There is an issue with the rear side air bags and child seats, but I think the isofix ones are tested with the rear air bags. Best to check with BMW directly on this one.

Gustav
HUD is standard on UK cars

Amfung
Twin tone horns are quite normal and louder. Its not like the air horn addon's that play tunes.

Ghufran
I finalised my spec again today, changed to red/black colour combo, and I have everything I want in the car for under 65000 UKP. The only option I might need to add is the Digitol TV tuner, looking at putting in a reversing camera and not sure if I need the TV tuner for that. When you compare this to the expected 68000 UKP base for the CLS55 it's a hell of a bargain IMO.
Thats why Autocar gave a rating of 5 stars based on total package & overall price. You are purchasing the worlds top naturally aspirated 500bhp V10 car for £61,775 on the road.

2005 will be a land mark year for me. I have the Mercedes E-Class Brabus arriving next month, 2 M5's in May and CLS55 AMG towards the end of 2005.

But the most sought after car will be the M5. M5 commands respect which stands above and beyond Brabus, AMG or RS6. People give it respect and it deserves honour for what it is. I have not seen one review to date which counter attacks its presence, handling, durability. However total cost of ownership may become a question but I don't see that effecting us in the short term due to its sought after status. As I have mentioned before dealers are stating a 2-3 year waiting list.

Red would like nice. I thought about the TV function. I have it in my M3 Convertible and found I never use it. It thinks its a waste of £710.00. I could purchase a TFT TV for my office at home instead :)

That reverse camera option , I don't see it as a option in the list you provided ?

Carbon Black and Blue Onyx Metallic are the colours I've ordered.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts