BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Having an oil service and MOT today.

Dealer just rung up saying damage on (6 week old Dunlop SP9000) inside rear tyre wall will fail MOT. They want £302.03 for a new one, and they have one in stock.

I asked if I could take it away, have one fitted myself (I paid less than £200 each), bring it back and retest for free. They only allow this if car is returned within 48 hrs. It's now 2.15pm friday, they stilll have the car, and they don't test on saturdays!, so that's a non starter.

I asked them to reduce the cost of the price of the tyre to something more reasonable, but they just called back saying that they ordered the tyre especially for me, should I want it, because they had to "catch the van" so can't reduce it.

MOT runs out in 5 days, I'm busy all next week, so they've got me over a barrel. I've told them to go ahead, but do feel beaten up.

Suppose I should look on the bright side - they would probably have wanted £400 for a Pilot Sport.......

...........hmmm...they just rang up again saying that the coolant and brake fluid need replacing. I reminded them that they replaced the coolant at the last service in August last year....they then looked in their records and reminded me that they replaced brake fluid at a previous service 18 months ago....so, in fact, neither need changing.

Not only am I being beaten up, a buch of monkeys are doing it!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thats cobblers - you have a 14 Day Free MOT retest!!

Don't let them rip you off....

get a basic service done, the essentials - let them stamp the book and get the MOT and collant changes etc done elsewhere... using the genuine stuff!!!

Daylight robbery this...

They aren't Scotthalls by any chance are they?? Are we allowed to name and shame? or the opposite?

rgds

·
Registered
146 Posts
MOT's must be **** expensive these days for you to pay more than £100 extra for a tyre just to avoid the additional cost.

It sounds to me like they are really ripping you off - personally, I would probably just tell them where to put their replacement tyre and go elsewhere for the MOT on principal.

Regards,

Gary.

Guy10 said:
Hi all

Having an oil service and MOT today.

Dealer just rung up saying damage on (6 week old Dunlop SP9000) inside rear tyre wall will fail MOT. They want £302.03 for a new one, and they have one in stock.

I asked if I could take it away, have one fitted myself (I paid less than £200 each), bring it back and retest for free. They only allow this if car is returned within 48 hrs. It's now 2.15pm friday, they stilll have the car, and they don't test on saturdays!, so that's a non starter.

I asked them to reduce the cost of the price of the tyre to something more reasonable, but they just called back saying that they ordered the tyre especially for me, should I want it, because they had to "catch the van" so can't reduce it.

MOT runs out in 5 days, I'm busy all next week, so they've got me over a barrel. I've told them to go ahead, but do feel beaten up.

Suppose I should look on the bright side - they would probably have wanted £400 for a Pilot Sport.......

...........hmmm...they just rang up again saying that the coolant and brake fluid need replacing. I reminded them that they replaced the coolant at the last service in August last year....they then looked in their records and reminded me that they replaced brake fluid at a previous service 18 months ago....so, in fact, neither need changing.

Not only am I being beaten up, a buch of monkeys are doing it!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
MOT = £40.70ish

It'll pass at any normal place - because of the respect our beasts command!!

BTW - most Dealers take them off site for the MOT anyway - so charge you extra for taking it there...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Cor, robbing bloody gypsies.......:mad: Live on the edge and let it roll over for a couple of days. There must be another garage that can sort it out near your work place or a GOOD friend that you can trust to take it in. or Whip the wheel off and give it to a pal to sort out for you/ borrow a car if you need it for work/get a taxi in for the money you will save getting a tyre elsewhere........

I am suffering from tachycardia just thinking about it.

Pip :crying:

·
Registered
947 Posts
try www.johnsonstyres.com

around 150 on there when i last checked.

jokers....who do they think they are....

i saw an oil price list on the dealer's desk when in last for some warranty work

"Average cost: £5.85/L, Average selling price £14.99/L"

:confused3

·
Registered
947 Posts
my dad's an MOT inspector if u need an MOT done by someone trustworthy

twickenham area

cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer is in South Manchester area.

I had the MOT done there because I have the extended warranty, and any MOT fail item is covered under warranty......except....of course....tyres!

Working away from home all next few weeks, and MOT runs out on wednesday, so I can't take it back to the dealer for a retest (as they don' t test on weekends!).

So, on monday, wherever I am, I'd have to find a tyre shop, order a tyre and probably go back the next day to have it fitted, find an MOT place that could do it soon, pay again, wait...and then it's possible they'll pick up something that the dealer hasn't.....

So it's just a whole bunch of circumstances working against me! I just thought for the difference between the tyre prices (300-200)=100 minus the cost of getting the MOT done again elsewhere (40), sixty quid that it wasn't worth the hassle.

However, I'd sincerely like to thank the board members who have pointed out cheap tyre prices, making my original hassle-vs-cost analysis a bit off the mark, and thus making me feel even more beat up by a bunch of monkeys!!

Cheers

Guy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts