1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
180 Posts
i would still use them. the only thing that would convince me to perhaps not is introducing similar penalties as speeding, namely losing points. either way, this just edges me ever so much closer to leaving the UK one day

·
Registered
50 Posts
This gouverment wrecks everything. All they do is take more and more and more money off you in some form of another.
i would use one illegally and if someone tryed to pull me over, I would just hide it

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You're guilty of speeding. The scamera operator who nicks you is guilty of speeding. The magistrate you stand in front of speeds too. The clerk of the court speeds. Everyone in the whole court, camera partnership and police force speeds.

Every single person who has contributed to your prosecution is just as guilty as you of just the same offence. You were just unlucky enough to get caught.

And when justice is administered on the basis of luck, by people as guilty as the defendant, there's something deeply, deeply wrong with the country.

grrrrrrr

Why can't they just raise the limits to sensible levels which would eliminate the need for most speed cameras as well as radar detectors etc.?!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hear Hear!

I've recently re-installed my detector.. Never felt the need to install it when I purchased my current car.. however, I got caught twice in one month, and re-installed it. It has saved me the purchase price once-over again in 1 month time. I'll will continue to use it, even thought they are illegal in the Netherlands.

I feel highway speedlimits that were set more than 30 years ago are in no way comparable to the ability of modern cars, in both the safety and enviromental sense!

Gerrit

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Why can't they just raise the limits to sensible levels which would eliminate the need for most speed cameras as well as radar detectors etc.?!
The same would be true in the US. 55mph is still common in cities and construction zones. One interstate was recently widend to 4 lanes. Most traffic went 65-75 in a 55. Now with a 65mph limit, traffic still goes the same speed. If they'd raise it to 75, less than 1 in 10 would actually go faster. The cops could pull that one car and the rest of us wouldn't have to worry about the ticket, points, and insurance costs. North Carolina has significant penalties for >15 over so I rarely exercise my M5 on public roads.

An interesting effect of the widening is the HOV lane for high occupancy (2 o more people) that is supposed to encourage car-pooling by being faster. A lot of those vehicles are family vans, buses, etc not interested in speeding. Most of the time, they end up getting passed by folks in the right lanes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hate the way the British Government patronises us.

They claim that speed cameras are to improve road safety, and that the petrol price of £3.80 /gal is to protect the environment. Bull***t. Both are a tax and nothing more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
jim mc d said:
I hate the way the British Government patronises us.

They claim that speed cameras are to improve road safety, and that the petrol price of £3.80 /gal is to protect the environment. Bull***t. Both are a tax and nothing more.
Well said mate!! I cant stand when they say speed cameras are there for saftey. They are just there for money. All they do is nick money of us motorist. They continue to do it because they know we are gonna pay it...because we have to. Its one big whole. You put s**t loads of money into the gouverment to use your car and get nothing back in return.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts