BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

My 01 M5 is of course well out of the manufacturers warranty. Reading the posts from JFB and some of the other guys who have had major engine issues has left me feeling that I should get some kind of warranty cover.

I plan on keeping her a while - just don't like the new one, was on the list from way back but decided not to go there after they let me test a new 5.

I know, I know, I should have gone for the BMW Extended warranty before mine expired but it coincided with a very busy time for me and it just didn't get done.

Have any of you UK'ers gone for an 'aftermarket' warranty and if so, please could you point me in the right direction based on any research that you have done.

Mine is one owner from new and has only done 36k miles since new.

I was tempted to swap it for a 996TT some months ago but I just got round to thinking that that car wasn't going to suit me (3 kids). Much as I admire the 996TT - i have access to one regularly, the interior just really **** me off. Not what you'd expect from a £90k car. And, another friend has just had his new 997 delivered and it is WAY better inside and out.

Getting back to the warranty lol, all mechanicals must of course be covered and I would like something that covers the sat nav/stereo as I suspect gremlins here could cost a few quid to sort.

Any help greatly appreciated.

David

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi David,

I have a warranty from www.warrantyworks.co.uk - my M5 is 5 years old and had 90k on the clock when I bought it. It pays out £2500 per claim up to the value of the vehicle. It lasts 3 years, is transferable and cost me just shy of a grand.

Since having it it has replaced two MAF sensors with relative ease (Read I only had to threaten to get my solicitor involved rather than a former policy with RAC warranties on another car where I had to actually get my solicitor involved) so it has almost paid for itself already and I still have two years left to run...

This sort of warranty will cover me should a VANOS unit fail, but I would be surprised if you can find an aftermarket company that will cover you for scored bores etc - and remember they will ALWAYS try to wriggle out of paying.

Not sure you are going to find a company that covers electrical damage caused by coins though :hihi:

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Travis

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coins......what coins.......? Very good Travis :hihi: and thanks for the information.

I'll look them up and see whats what...

Did you say the £1,000 cover was for three years??

Thanks

David

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep three years.
Not sure how good they would be if a major claim was made - they tried to claim wear and tear on the MAF sensors!!! ?????? Then they took 10 days of uming and ahing before I told them they would hear from my solicitor if they didn't get it sorted, at which point they finally paid out. From my experience of warranty companies (Warranty Holdings, AA(who are the best so far but wont cover M5s) and RAC) this was something of a victory!

Anyway good luck - BTW: are you going to the meet in Surrey this sunday?

Cheers

Travis

DavidM5 said:
Coins......what coins.......? Very good Travis :hihi: and thanks for the information.

I'll look them up and see whats what...

Did you say the £1,000 cover was for three years??

Thanks

David

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No travis....Can't go to either meet this weekend :confused:

I spoke to a guy called Andrew there and he was very helpful.....as you'd expect when he's trying to sell me some cover.

Interesting that I mentioned the board and he said if I could corral together 4 or 5 owners he'd be doing some serious discounting.....

Let's see if any other on here pick this thread up...

Thanks again for the info.....where in London are you?

David

·
Registered
27 Posts
I should have thought about a group buy discount before I got mine. D'oh!

I'm not actually in London - out in the wilds of Essex now! Need to edit my profile :)

Good luck with the warranty,

Cheers

Travis

·
Registered
630 Posts
DavidM5 said:
No travis....Can't go to either meet this weekend :confused:

I spoke to a guy called Andrew there and he was very helpful.....as you'd expect when he's trying to sell me some cover.

Interesting that I mentioned the board and he said if I could corral together 4 or 5 owners he'd be doing some serious discounting.....

Let's see if any other on here pick this thread up...

Thanks again for the info.....where in London are you?

David
David, I'd be interested as I've struggled to find anybody who'll do a 3rd party warranty.

FYI on the UK board there is another M5iver who may be interested :
http://www.bm3w.co.uk/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=298256&an=0&page=0#298256

Cheers

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SeeSure

www.warrantyworks.co.uk

Will cover M5 up to a maximum claim of £2,500. Max three claims per year. It won't cover for a major engine failure like the thrown rod situaton that JFB and others have had.

3 Years of cover is c£975 and he is offering me a 5% discount without asking really. If we could get a few others to come in we might well be able to negotiate a very good deal. Seem like OK people to deal with at see Travis' (dopamine) comments above. They do actually pay out.

Warranty is transferrable too.

Interest from me at this point. You?

David

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think I'd be inclined to take this warranty out if the VANOS has already been sorted, which is a known problem on earlier cars - this is a £4000 job for both banks, so £2500 of cover will leave you well out of pocket. Apart from engines blowing, there shouldn't be too many other scenarios which will leave you with a bill over £2500, so you should be fairly safe. £1000 for three years is great value, assuming they do actually cough up in the event of a claim - having to threaten to go to solicitors every time there's a claim isn't very palatable.

The BMW one at £970 for one year is frankly overpriced, but obviously fairly bulletproof.

Roger

ps - Travis, good to meet you on Sunday

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not sure of when the matter was resolved to be honest - I think it has still been known to be a problem on higher mileage later cars, but I am sure if you do a search, there will be more information, I haven't worried about it yet as I have an April 02 car with only 19k on the clock.

I think you'll find that a reasonable portion of 2000 and older cars will have had the remedial work done.

I don't know if anyone has more precise info on this??

Roger

·
Registered
630 Posts
DavidM5 said:
SeeSure

www.warrantyworks.co.uk

Will cover M5 up to a maximum claim of £2,500. Max three claims per year. It won't cover for a major engine failure like the thrown rod situaton that JFB and others have had.

3 Years of cover is c£975 and he is offering me a 5% discount without asking really. If we could get a few others to come in we might well be able to negotiate a very good deal. Seem like OK people to deal with at see Travis' (dopamine) comments above. They do actually pay out.

David
David PM waiting for you

·
Registered
16 Posts
DavidM5 said:
SeeSure

www.warrantyworks.co.uk

David

Any other companies worth looking at for aftermarket warranties?? AA or RAC maybe?

Looking at buying an immaculate '01 y reg M5 but the current owner let the warranty from BMW lapse in 2003.....doh !!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
M3GGW said:
Any other companies worth looking at for aftermarket warranties?? AA or RAC maybe?

Looking at buying an immaculate '01 y reg M5 but the current owner let the warranty from BMW lapse in 2003.....doh !!!!

Thanks
I don't think the AA/RAC will cover M5's.

We have 3 or 4 of us who would like to go this route and try and get some kind of group discount. Would you be interested if you buy the M5?

I am out of the UK all next week but I'm happy to organise soething on my return.

·
Registered
16 Posts
DavidM5 said:
I don't think the AA/RAC will cover M5's.

We have 3 or 4 of us who would like to go this route and try and get some kind of group discount. Would you be interested if you buy the M5?

I am out of the UK all next week but I'm happy to organise soething on my return.

I could be David but I'm very nervous about buying this car with no warranty at all...plus it's over priced for the market at the moment - but that's a different story!!

You are right that the AA/RAC will not cover the M5 and I haven't heard many good things about the other after market companies... :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts