BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done 58,000 miles of spirited driving with no major issues. I got the dreaded transmission malfunction message. I was taking the car to the dealer to have it looked at. At some point on my drive there I could not get into gear. The clutch did not want to engage or was shaky. I tried to pull off into a parking lot to get towed, but ended up getting stuck. I was right in the middle of a turning marker. I called AAA and asked for a flatbead. I was stuck there and had most passers by look at me like I was an a-hole, while there were 3 that asked if I needed help. The third was a cute chick that asked if I needed a ride. I was not thinking straight, otherwise I would have said yes. The dealer may not get to it for a couple of days.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Man that sucks Josh I feel terrible for you brother. I hope you the dealership gets it back to you quick.

Are you still under warranty or no?

Keep us updated

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man that sucks Josh I feel terrible for you brother. I hope you the dealership gets it back to you quick.

Are you still under warranty or no?

Keep us updated
Thanks Anthony. I normally look at warranties as a suckers bet, however I felt that I wanted one as this beast only has expensive repairs. I actually bought a warranty trough 11/2016 or 100K miles. This repair should pay for my warranty. I hope this process is not too long to get back on the road as the weather is really clearing up here.

·
Registered
759 Posts
As I understand it, our SMGs use an electrically-operated hydraulic pump to operate the clutch and switch gears. Upon opening the doors, this pump primes giving off the high pitch noise for a few seconds. Curious if there was any indication (hesitation, unusual noises) during priming and/or shifting leading up to this? Or, did it just happen out of the blue? There are currently a couple of threads about battery issues causing unusual SMG pump noises. I guess the moral of the story is, even when you get the Yellow Cog, it might be prudent to have the car towed to the dealer? Hope you are back on the road soon. Nice looking vert.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I understand it, our SMGs use an electrically-operated hydraulic pump to operate the clutch and switch gears. Upon opening the doors, this pump primes giving off the high pitch noise for a few seconds. Curious if there was any indication (hesitation, unusual noises) during priming and/or shifting leading up to this? Or, did it just happen out of the blue? There are currently a couple of threads about battery issues causing unusual SMG pump noises. I guess the moral of the story is, even when you get the Yellow Cog, it might be prudent to have the car towed to the dealer? Hope you are back on the road soon. Nice looking vert.
I would advise putting it on a flatbed right away instead of trying to take it to the dealer. The message said that limited driving was possible, but I would advise against it. I did not hear any strange noises, but did have hesitation when shifting between gears. I keep the battery hooked up to a battery tender when not in use, so I hope that is not the issue. I will get a new battery this year either way.

Thanks for the compliments on the beast. One of the guys that stopped offered to trade cars even if mine didn't run. I hope that I am back on the road soon.

·
Registered
569 Posts
the car can be fixed

BUT

i would've def taken that ride from the cute chick :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
I feel your pain... mine just took a similar ride. It'll all be good in the end though. Let us know what the fix was.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Sounds similar to what happened to me when my SMG pump was replaced, and yes, people do give you bad looks when your blocking traffic in a shiny M6. Has your SMG pump been replaced? Good thing you are under warranty. If it is the pump, as you said, this repair will nearly pay for the warranty.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the car can be fixed

BUT

i would've def taken that ride from the cute chick :)
I know, I messed up. It was a lose-lose situation. Either I don't take the ride and have to hear it here, or I do take the ride and have to hear it from my wife. I think the late would have cost more.

I feel your pain... mine just took a similar ride. It'll all be good in the end though. Let us know what the fix was.
Will let you know. They have not looked at it yet, hopefully today.

Wow! Very nice looking car, bad problem... Hope it is an easy fix and they get it right first time around!
Bill
Thanks, I hope so, I am guessing that it is the famous SMG pump problem.

Sounds similar to what happened to me when my SMG pump was replaced, and yes, people do give you bad looks when your blocking traffic in a shiny M6. Has your SMG pump been replaced? Good thing you are under warranty. If it is the pump, as you said, this repair will nearly pay for the warranty.

Good luck and keep us posted.
It is the original SMG pump. I figured that I liked this car enough that I want to keep it for awhile, so I got a long warranty. I will keep you posted.

Good luck, fingers crossed it'll be a quick fix and you'll be up and running again soon :)
Thanks.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The brief update is that the dealer started it up, got the transmission malfunction message, but it drove to the garage without a problem. They spent 2 hours reading codes with no success. They think it is the SMG pump, but have to make some calls to get it moving along with BMW. The weather is getting nice here and I am driving around in a Camry.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got off the phone with the dealer. They have been dealing with the M division of Getrag to determine the faults. There is good news and bad news.

The good news is that they figured out the issue. It is the clutch position sensor. They checked the SMG pump and said that it is perfectly fine. They do have to pull the engine out to get the work done, so I should have the beast back on Wednesday or Thursday. :M5launch::M5launch::M5launch:

The bad news is that this is only a couple of thousand dollar repair, so I have not fully paid for the warranty yet.

Josh

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I just got off the phone with the dealer. They have been dealing with the M division of Getrag to determine the faults. There is good news and bad news.

The good news is that they figured out the issue. It is the clutch position sensor. They checked the SMG pump and said that it is perfectly fine. They do have to pull the engine out to get the work done, so I should have the beast back on Wednesday or Thursday. :M5launch::M5launch::M5launch:

The bad news is that this is only a couple of thousand dollar repair, so I have not fully paid for the warranty yet.

Josh
Glad they got the problem diagnosed and you will have your car back soon.

I bet money that before you get rid of your car or your warranty runs out you will have the warranty paid for.

I purchased my ext warranty for 10K with maintenance warranty in January and I have already had $3500 in repairs done since then.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts

Josh
Dear God...please tell me you meant "transmission" and not "engine". If not...run away.

That would be like getting rhinoplasty done rectally.

PLCDs are another common failure in our cars, but nor really sure why. Ask them if you can have the old one when it comes out. I'll pay you to let me take it apart and do an autopsy. :grinyes: It's nothing more than a wire-wound hall-effect sensor which measures change in current flow based of the relative position of a permanent magnet. The only failure mode I can think of would be breakdown of the insulating epoxy or a faulty wiring connection to it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad they got the problem diagnosed and you will have your car back soon.

I bet money that before you get rid of your car or your warranty runs out you will have the warranty paid for.

I purchased my ext warranty for 10K with maintenance warranty in January and I have already had $3500 in repairs done since then.
I am sure that it will pay for itself over time. I just thought that I would be through it on this repair, but glad that it is something reasonable to fix.

Dear God...please tell me you meant "transmission" and not "engine". If not...run away.

That would be like getting rhinoplasty done rectally.

PLCDs are another common failure in our cars, but nor really sure why. Ask them if you can have the old one when it comes out. I'll pay you to let me take it apart and do an autopsy. :grinyes: It's nothing more than a wire-wound hall-effect sensor which measures change in current flow based of the relative position of a permanent magnet. The only failure mode I can think of would be breakdown of the insulating epoxy or a faulty wiring connection to it.
I am pretty sure that he said engine, which didn't shock me as I figured they would need to get room to work on the sensor and other items. I have to admit that my mechanic skills are very limited.

I will ask the shop next time if I can get the old sensor. I think that fair price is that you share the results of your autopsy with the board.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Sounds like a deal. I did a throttle actuator teardown with pretty pics. Will do the same with the PLCD. I like taking stuff apart. :biggrin: Sometimes I put them back together too...

The PLCD inserts into the clutch slave cylinder which is mounted on the outside of the bell housing on the transmission. They most likely have to pull the trans to get at it, but not the engine. Although, these days, who knows. They had to remove whattheheck's transmission to replace his starter. Yes...give them a chance they'll make sure your warranty pays for itself. And we wonder why so many companies refuse warranty coverage on this car now...

Glad it's getting sorted for you though. Pains me to see so many injured and limping beasts out there.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Hope the fix is correct...gotta say it is hard to believe when I read about all the problems because I have not had one in 20,000 miles..but it appears that once a certain mileage point is crossed, one can be in repair hell in the blink of an eye!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The beast is back on the road. Everything worked out just fine. The warranty covered all but the diagnostic time.

The dealer forgot to put the part in my car, but my SA says that he has it in his desk. I will swing by Saturday to pick it up for it's autopsy.

Josh

1 - 20 of 49 Posts