BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left work to have lunch with my twins today, and some jackass decides to just pull out from one of the school exits and T-bones me. With the exception of the voltage regulator last year, this car has been rock solid for the past 5 years or so, so I'm kind of sick about it. The driver (30s male) didn't have a license (nice huh?) but it was his mom's SUV who has current insurance through Liberty Mutual. I've already started a claim through my carrier so they can subrogate later...adjuster coming Monday to asses. I know the book value for these has bottomed out so it probably wouldn't take too much for a total. What say you? Luckily I have my TL to drive and should be getting a rental soon. My preference is to have it repaired at a BMW collision center, and even then there's the diminished value part of it. Since I don't drive it much (~4k / yr) I had no plans to move it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Noooooooo!!!!!!!!

Glad you are OK. With that said, I can see how you would be sick about it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
These scumbags with no licenses.. you would think they would be more careful given the circumstance.. smh.. Maybe that's why they dont have licenses cuz they suck at the driving.. 😒.. I hope you get her back on the road soon.

·
Registered
366 Posts
That blows - big time. Glad u and the kids are ok.

Our 2013 F10 535i was hit a year or ago. 2 new doors and various smaller part. Repainted the side of the car. $7k was the bottom line. A Chevy Silverado 2500 decided to be in our lane.
Weird thing is, this happened less than 200 yards from where our 2001 E39 530i was totalled back in 2009. Similar issue, Mitsubushi SUV t-boned it.

DoorDamageJan2018_rsz.jpg

·
Registered
227 Posts
Oh man that really sucks and you have my favorite color too! Glad you're alright though... with the prices on these cars and the damage on two doors, rocker panel, rear quarter, rims plus paint?

If I was a betting man, I think there's a very real possibility of it getting totaled especially with new oem parts. Really hoping I'm wrong.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I left work to have lunch with my twins today, and some jackass decides to just pull out from one of the school exits and T-bones me. With the exception of the voltage regulator last year, this car has been rock solid for the past 5 years or so, so I'm kind of sick about it. The driver (30s male) didn't have a license (nice huh?) but it was his mom's SUV who has current insurance through Liberty Mutual. I've already started a claim through my carrier so they can subrogate later...adjuster coming Monday to asses. I know the book value for these has bottomed out so it probably wouldn't take too much for a total. What say you? Luckily I have my TL to drive and should be getting a rental soon. My preference is to have it repaired at a BMW collision center, and even then there's the diminished value part of it. Since I don't drive it much (~4k / yr) I had no plans to move it.
Wow glad you're ok. Don't you still have the Red M6 as well?

There's a really big change they'll total it, since the rear qp got tagged as well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I say no big deal, fix it. You will have to get into a fight with insurance to keep the branding off the title. The damage itself is cosmetic. You can fine examples in the 20k range no problem, they will find the 10k examples. When my daughters 740i got wrecked they started a 2k with high mileage iL junk. I pulled the 120 mile limit by WA state law and they ended up with low mileage sport models that brought the value up to 5k.

You have two options, bleed them dry for a full repair and eat the branded title. Buy the car back, take the money, cut some corners, fix it and pocket the difference. 2, work with the shop, fight with insurance and keep the title clean. Either way you should fix it. Shop around and find your car and see what it would cost to replace including taxes? And the most important issue with any BMW especially an E60 M5 is the history.

Sorry this happened it always sucks! You are safe and insured so all will be well in the end.;)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow glad you're ok. Don't you still have the Red M6 as well?

There's a really big change they'll total it, since the rear qp got tagged as well.
Thanks...and no M6 here, my commuter is an 08 TL which is OK but you know...

Adjuster was just out, he's concerned about damage to the B-pillar. Rear quarter, new doors, wheel refinish, tire, he said over 5k in parts easy.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I say no big deal, fix it. You will have to get into a fight with insurance to keep the branding off the title. The damage itself is cosmetic. You can fine examples in the 20k range no problem, they will find the 10k examples. When my daughters 740i got wrecked they started a 2k with high mileage iL junk. I pulled the 120 mile limit by WA state law and they ended up with low mileage sport models that brought the value up to 5k.

You have two options, bleed them dry for a full repair and eat the branded title. Buy the car back, take the money, cut some corners, fix it and pocket the difference. 2, work with the shop, fight with insurance and keep the title clean. Either way you should fix it. Shop around and find your car and see what it would cost to replace including taxes? And the most important issue with any BMW especially an E60 M5 is the history.

Sorry this happened it always sucks! You are safe and insured so all will be well in the end.;)
Thanks, we'll see how the numbers look in a few days. I've had the car since 4-2013 and of course had a maintenance log going and have replaced all of the high failure parts. I'm not sure I could go through it all again with an E60. But it was nice not having a car payment :-/

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dang sorry to see what happened...the damage doesn’t look that bad at all, I second what has been mentioned, its pretty much cosmetic damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Initial estimate from insurance is about 6k and that's with quoting LKQ doors. I'm having BMW collision repair it and he already said they won't accept salvage doors so there's another 1500 or so in just parts. I'm having it towed over this weekend so they can start to tear it down.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took awhile because of the holidays but the supplement came in, and insurance wants to total it. Insurance had a lowball initial valuation of ~11k. So now is the fight for a fair valuation, and perhaps to buy it back.

111,500, Silverstone, good shape just the standard wear on the console and driver arm rest. Just changed the oil with M1 5-50 :(
3rd owner, since April 2013 @ 80k. No real mods, just a Modmynav backup camera, drop in filters and scoops
Previous owner maintenance records (Clutch, etc)
Troy-built motor at 84k in 2014 installed by BMW
New TB actuators, slave cylinder and CCC via warranty installed by BMW in 2014
Since, nothing major, only voltage regulator and thermostat. Battery a few years ago

The color combo and the recent motor, TB actuators and maintenance records should command a bit of a premium on the market. What do y'all think?

Here's almost my identical car with 30k less miles that went for 16,700.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is this with your insurance or the person who hit you? If you have a police report citing the other person at fault and their insurance won’t play ball on the value, open a claim with your insurance. That’s what I did, I gave them the police report and said I wasn’t happy with how the other company had valued the car. They gave me a fair settlement and then went after the other company in court. This was with my old E55 that was rear ended about 6 months ago. No hit to my insurance because of the police report showing the other driver at fault.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Let the games begin. You should look at the comps and deductions they are taking. Dealer ready deductions are the worst. Second it cars out of the area.

·
Registered
227 Posts
From my experience with a handful of insurance companies totaling cars, they usually will not raise values of cars for the totaling equation for expensive maintenance being done.

If you have receipts and especially if work was done at a shop, they may partially reimburse you for recent work done and modifications/accessories. I know progressive, state farm and USAA will do this for MD policies.

As mentioned finding good comps is the best way to fight assigned value.

This kind of issue actually has me considering getting an agreed upon value policy for my M5.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is this with your insurance or the person who hit you? If you have a police report citing the other person at fault and their insurance won’t play ball on the value, open a claim with your insurance. That’s what I did, I gave them the police report and said I wasn’t happy with how the other company had valued the car. They gave me a fair settlement and then went after the other company in court. This was with my old E55 that was rear ended about 6 months ago. No hit to my insurance because of the police report showing the other driver at fault.
My insurance first, then I will let them subrogate after everything is settled with me.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let the games begin. You should look at the comps and deductions they are taking. Dealer ready deductions are the worst. Second it cars out of the area.
We are waiting a revised valuation report due to some of comps and motor replacement receipt I sent them.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From my experience with a handful of insurance companies totaling cars, they usually will not raise values of cars for the totaling equation for expensive maintenance being done.

If you have receipts and especially if work was done at a shop, they may partially reimburse you for recent work done and modifications/accessories. I know progressive, state farm and USAA will do this for MD policies.

As mentioned finding good comps is the best way to fight assigned value.

This kind of issue actually has me considering getting an agreed upon value policy for my M5.
My agent said that the motor replacement is definitely a plus for these cars, so maybe we'll find out tomorrow. It was done at BMW as well so that helps. I could submit the invoice for the backup camera but the only other mods are scoops and filters that I can remove.
I have an ACV policy for my 95 Cobra for 12,500 but would be lucky to get half that selling it outright.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts