BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the car idling on the driveway this morning while doing the wash... pulled into the garage and
voila... reasonable puddle under the car. I looked underneath and checked oil-level etc. It was 0.4L
past few days so I filled it up (was going to normally wait until it hit 0.2L).

There is a damp spot in the driver-side just where the first under-carriage vent (back of the
motor, by the tranny). The oil looks like motor-oil but then not sure what the tranny oil color
is but could be that.

Anyways, car is 43K miles and out-of-warranty but I do have EasyCare... so off to the dealership
next week and let's see what happens!

One thing I did do was wash the motor this morning and I had not seen any leak before this.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer says 'leak between engine and transmission, pls authorize for us to remove the transmission'. Looks like I am between a rock and a hard place! I have requested a claim to be started with EasyCare and called them as well - they
stated engine seals are covered so if it is a rear-main seal or equivalent everything should be covered.

Anyways, fingers crossed now! Gosh... the extended warranty investment was a blessing - hope it pays off. I have the TOTALCare, so it is the most comprehensive - at least I think it is!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went and talked to the tech and he said he is 99% certain the leak is within the block/bell-housing area. Since I will
be on the hook to pay for the tranny removal/install if the leak is NOT there, I want to run this by the forum to get ideas
of where else the leak could be. The tech confirmed it is not the oil cooler or vanos line. I asked him to spend a bit more
time to be certain it is not leaking from above and dripping down and around the bell-housing area.

Any ideas of what is in there other than the rear main seal? Is there anything above that area that can leak down... older
BMW's had a notorious issue where oil would collect in the valley-pan area. He says (from what he could see) it is not a
valve cover gasket etc.

If the tech is correct, then everything should be covered.

HELP!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Confirmed it is Rear Mail Seal Leak... the tech had the tranny and clutch out within 2hrs!

Picture of RMS - clearly shows oil residue

Picture of Tranny side - also shows oil residue

The EasyCare is indeed 'easy care' - the approval for the repair was done over the phone and probably took
10 mins, so TWO THUMBS-UP for EasyCare!

Tech also measured the wear on my clutch disc and said it is about 70% worn, so I have opted for a new clutch
be put in since I am only paying for the parts.

Hope to have the car back tomorrow....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good to hear that Easy Care covered. Still trying to decide on which extended warranty to go with -- BMW, Easy Care, Zurich, etc.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EasyCare 'hours' for the job differ by about 1.5hrs than BMW's
estimate but I asked the dealer to swallow that considering the
tranny was out in like 90 mins!

Can't say anything bad about them at this point. They are paying
for 100% labor and the seal (which is like $150 including
some bushings as well). Plus it was a 10 min exercise
to get the approval over the phone.

$692 for the new clutch and we should be good to go for the next
50K miles hopefully.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE:

Got the car back today and driving somewhat gingerly to break-in the new clutch. All seems good so far!
Did an early oil change as well while the car was at the dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts