BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator koenigseggboard.com
1,064 Posts
I am a little confused by one point in this article: It's said that the U.S. One:1 will have to enter on Show & Display. I'd previously been told the car would have the compliant airbags. It's then written in the article that forthcoming Ageras will have compliant airbags. Since the One:1 is based on the Agera chassis, why couldn't this system be put in the One:1? Or is the issue with emissions?

This goes against what I had known and believed for quite some time now. Would be disappointing really if the One:1 was not fully compliant.

·
1,064 Posts
One:1 is Euro VI, shouldn't be a problem!
That's right.

So if they're putting the smart airbags in the Agera, there's virtually no reason NOT to put them in the One:1, since it's Agera-based. I would question the accuracy of the reporting, were it not for the fact that it stems from an interview with Mr. Koenigsegg himself.

The only other potentially non-compliant thing I could imagine might be the mirrors, but really is that such a huge engineering challenge?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The only other potentially non-compliant thing I could imagine might be the mirrors, but really is that such a huge engineering challenge?
There is loads of other things than the mirrors for example there is some rule about a limited cost of repairing "bumpers". Repairing smaller parking accident should be cheap for insurance reasons. I don't get how Koenigsegg and a lot of other manufacturers ever fulfill these things. There is loads of regulations, making a car homologated seems like climbing Mount Everest!! There is probably a reason for that, not only safety.. To me it seems the regulations is also to "protect the market", the big guys over there don't want to compete with loads of different new small volume or low price products .. I think this is part an insurance and a possibility to make problems/resistance for undesirable entrys on the market. But it's probably not a big problem for Koenigsegg as long as they don't compete with one of the big manufacturers over there ..

·
1,064 Posts
I'm not sure what the exact rules are for bumper regulations, but as far as I recall, they have to be able to survive a 5mph impact without any damage. If there's any cost factor, it's probably based on a percentage of total vehicle value. I don't think a Benz SLS bumper can be replaced for the same $ as that of a Chevy Cruze.

The point is, the Agera was already certified for 2013, the One:1 is at its core an extreme evolution of the Agera. It should easily pass muster, except the airbags. So just put them in. I still stand by my info, until I hear otherwise from the same source.

Although I guess the article kind of accomplishes that already... *sigh*

·
Registered
232 Posts
Jens and CvK said the car would be fully compliant when I spoke to them at the NYIAS? They said the car would still likely be registered show and display for insurance/economics purposes for the new owner but it could technically be a road car from what they were saying.

·
1,064 Posts
Yes, that's what I'd been told too. If the car is fully compliant then there'd be no reason at all to go through the hassle of trying to prove it's worthy of S&D. There's a whole bunch of red tape to do that, and the only reason someone would, would be to pave the way for others of the same type to follow. But any car that is compliant automatically excludes any others of the same model that are not compliant.

Either something here has changed in Koenigsegg's plans since NYIAS, or this reporter has misunderstood.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I thought it now stands at 4 to China, well #107 is registered in Germany but is a Chinese owner, (I consider it Chinese). Also I thing the same might happen to the new One:1 with pink accents. Other 2 Chinese cars we should wait to see what happens. Remaining 2 to UK, the BHP car and the prototype and 1 US car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts