BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone at bimmerfest said the price for the u.s m5 was revealed in las vegas and will start at 84k standard. Any confirmations??

imo it sounds right but i thought it might be alittle cheaper because the m5 in eu countries and australia is cheaper then the e55.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The base price is only relevant once you know what BMW NA makes into standard features. If it is at least as loaded as the base E39 M5, this is not a bad price. However, if it is like the base 545, it will easily go past $95k when loaded up.

Tom

·
Registered
476 Posts
84K - I bet it is fairly loaded

I was seriously considering buying an E55 wagon to replace our S6 - UNTIL I started putting on the options. Mercedes should be embarrassed - 83K and you have to pay for Xenon lights????? Please - I will wait for the new S6.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Re: 84K - I bet it is fairly loaded

Porsche is even worse.... I am surprised they don't charge you for the steering wheel as an option..........:3:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
BMWNA did a great job with the last M5- there wasnt much to move the price on. Without knowing more, I would expect this M5 to come in somewhere around 90k. +/- 5k. Id expect maybe an option or two (upgraded stereo?) but thats about it. I appreciate this pricing system vs. the more a'la carte method some others use.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
I think Jerry is right. For guidance, let's look at the E60 545. The options in the US are:

cold weather package ($750),
premium sound package ($1,800),
sport package -- we can be confident that this will be inapplicable to the M5
front comfort seats ($1,200),
split folding rear seats and ski bag ($475),
rear seat heating ($350),
active steering -- will not be on the M5
rear and side window shades ($575),
active cruise control ($2,200),
navigation ($1,800),
head-up display -- by all accounts this will be standard on the M5
satellite radio ($595)

So, while it certainly will be possible to spend several extra thousand dollars on options, my guess is that most M5s will be ordered for less than $5,000 over base.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
From your keyboard, Tom, to BMWNA's ears! That equipment should be standard and let's hope that it is.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I wonder if the multifunction seats will be standard? At one point it sounded like they would be, but it doesn't sound like that is the case in Europe.

I imagine that Tom is right on what will be standard... maybe not HUD, but likely. One from the 545 list that probably won't be offered.. Active Cruise Control (did anyone find out for sure if you can order a manual with ACC?),

·
Registered
67 Posts
I read in one of Gustavs interviews I believe, that active cruise will not be available on the M5. As for options I think Tom is right. The seats will most likely be what we are seeing on the Swedish cars. I believe navigation will be standard and the HUD system will probably tag along. One thing I know will be an option with a rather steep price is the bluetooth cell phone system @ about $1000. The system in my truck cost $240. Tim

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
vndkshn said:
I wonder if the multifunction seats will be standard? At one point it sounded like they would be, but it doesn't sound like that is the case in Europe.

I imagine that Tom is right on what will be standard... maybe not HUD, but likely. One from the 545 list that probably won't be offered.. Active Cruise Control (did anyone find out for sure if you can order a manual with ACC?),
Active Cruise Control will be torture. The temptation to blow by whoever you are tagging behind will just be too great.:hihi:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interesting points, but I think that HUD will not be standard.
For a luxury saloon, consumers expect NAV standard, as much as possible.
For a luxury sports saloon, consumers do not expect HUD, rather it is a nice option to have. HUD is not identified with performance at this point.

Plus BMWNA does need to get some revenue out of options. I would not be surprise to see something stupid like they did with the M3, where you can get SMG only with PDC, and charging more for the package.

.Mdrei

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
HUD is part of the SMG3 system- special HUD for the M5/6. I think it HAS to be with the SMG cars. Nav was std on the E39, should be here too. Maybe choices on stereo and seats. and what kind of trim (aluminum or wood)...

·
Registered
31 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
HUD is part of the SMG3 system- special HUD for the M5/6. I think it HAS to be with the SMG cars. Nav was std on the E39, should be here too. Maybe choices on stereo and seats. and what kind of trim (aluminum or wood)...
I could buy this...but what about the manual? HUD won't be an option at all?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Interesting point... what about the manual? My bet, they will force it on us. Hey, I can live with it, as long as I can turn it off. In fact, I would only like it on when I am in maximum attack mode, at least as a general idea. From pics, I would probably only be interested in the tach, shift light, and gear indicator. That would even be helpful in a manual.

Nav might have been standard on the E39 M5s, but I have seen a couple without it. Personally, I would just as soon not have it, but since it will probably be forced on us (and helps resale), it makes me wonder what version... Business or Professional?

PDC has finally reached a state where I would consider it useful, and probably get it if it doesn't come standard. Although, I wish they would find a way to have the sensors not so visible.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Wolverine said:
Active Cruise Control will be torture. The temptation to blow by whoever you are tagging behind will just be too great.:hihi:

They need to create a version that controls speed not by the distance from the car in front, but by the strength of the signal from the police radar detector. However, if you're going really fast and the signal "instant ons" with great strength, it automatically downshifts the SMG and maxes the accelerator.

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts